Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Finding a lossless format for itunes and windows media player (Read 206354 times) previous topic - next topic

Finding a lossless format for itunes and windows media player

Reply #75
i tried an AAC track and it did indeed play through WMP.  I fixed the priority on "file source (mp3)"  and still nothing with ALAC.

if i remember correctly, i did get ALAC to play through WMP the first time i downloaded the dsmp3source a while ago.  and then a week or two later it just stopped again.  maybe because i downloaded conflicting software or something?

Possibly. If the other AAC filter also is set to the maximum priority then it may still be being chosen. If you download and run Graphedit and tell it to render an AAC track, it might indicate which directshow filter is being chosen to play it. You could then use DSFMgr to decrease the priority of it or remove it all together. Properties in WMP might also say what is being used to play an AAC track.

If AAC is working (still) then it definitely looks like another filter is getting in before the ALAC one. Also go back and make sure DSFMgr did successfully save the priority change.

From your list, it is possible Nero and others have installed AAC capable filters. If you installed the Orban AAC plugin then uninstall it.

Reply #76
ok so wmp wouldn't give me any info in the properties, and graphedit gave me "default sound device" or something like that. I lowered the priorities of a few things, and deleted some unnecessary stuff.  Still doesn't play ALAC but i get this now: "The source filter for this file could not be loaded."
I tested AAC and i get the same message, did i screw stuff up even more?

i think i deleted my 3ivx filters, was that a bad move?

the file source (mp3) filter is at full priority, why would it say it can't load it?

Reply #77
i also just re-registered the "file source (MP3)" filter and brought its priority all the way up.  now WMP is giving me this for both ALAC and AAC:

"Windows Media Player encountered an unknown error. This can occur when another program or operating system component encounters a problem but does not communicate the nature of the problem to the Player."

Reply #78
i also just re-registered the "file source (MP3)" filter and brought its priority all the way up.  now WMP is giving me this for both ALAC and AAC:

"Windows Media Player encountered an unknown error. This can occur when another program or operating system component encounters a problem but does not communicate the nature of the problem to the Player."

Getting a lot of different Directshow filters all working at the same time is hard work (as you are finding). I myself had huge problems getting MKV working and ended up having to use a System Restore to revert to an earlier stage.

If your feeling adventurous you could ensure you have a system restore point, remove all or as many as possible directshow filters (e.g. Nero, PowerDVD, etc.) and unregister and reinstall the ALAC one as well. Basically try and get just the ALAC one working by itself first, and then add the others back one at a time.

Also, have you installed one of the two MPEG4 meta tag plugins for WMP, that is WMPTSE or the SoftPointer one? If so try turning it off and/or uninstalling and using the alternate one. I currently use the SoftPointer one myself.

Reply #79
I ended up here after an internet search to find a way to play Apple Lossless and all the vareties of AAC in my Windows Media Player. I saw the Directshow filter suggested by John Lockwook.

I downloaded the filter in zip format and extracted the files. It contains (3).dll files, (1) MP3Source.ax file and (2) .bat files; register and unregister.

I opened Register.bat in Notepad. It seemed to envoke regsvr32 to install the MP3Soucre.ax. So I ran WXP from Start\Run\Folder Location\Name\register.bat.

I am in uncharted waters now. I want to proceed with caution. I got a blank command prompt window and a success message. But I'm confused.

What do I do with the (3) .dll files include in the filter download file?

Was I suppose to or did I register the MP3Source.ax file properly?

What is the proper procedure for installing this Directshow filter?

thank you reader if you have come this far. Any help for the unknowing would be very much appreciated.

ptmx2

Texas, USA

Reply #80
i ended up deleting every single filter and then reinstalling the "file source(mp3) filter.  WMP plays AAC again, but still no ALAC.  i switched the tag plugin to the softpointer as well.
i must be doin something wrong

Reply #81
i ended up deleting every single filter and then reinstalling the "file source(mp3) filter.  WMP plays AAC again, but still no ALAC.  i switched the tag plugin to the softpointer as well.
i must be doin something wrong

Have you verified iTunes recognises the track as an ALAC (Apple Lossless) track and iTunes itself plays it? Try creating a new fresh ALAC track in iTunes by ripping a CD. If the ALAC track was created by something else it might be slightly none standard and this directshow filter was only tested with genuine iTunes tracks.

Reply #82
to tell you the truth, I don't even have itunes.  I don't remember exactly when i deleted it, maybe thats when WMP stopped playing ALAC.  The ALAC files i have been testing were either ripped straight from a CD to ALAC or converted from FLAC, both using dBpoweramp music converter.
I'll try reinstalling Itunes and make some new ALACs with it, that sounds the best way to go.

thanks again for all your help John, i'll let you know how it goes

Reply #83
to tell you the truth, I don't even have itunes.  I don't remember exactly when i deleted it, maybe thats when WMP stopped playing ALAC.  The ALAC files i have been testing were either ripped straight from a CD to ALAC or converted from FLAC, both using dBpoweramp music converter.
I'll try reinstalling Itunes and make some new ALACs with it, that sounds the best way to go.

thanks again for all your help John, i'll let you know how it goes

You will not need iTunes to play ALAC in WMP, but it will help you verify you have good ALAC files to test with. Even if iTunes plays it I would still create a new one in iTunes to be certain.

Reply #84
BINGO!  I ripped a CD to ALAC with itunes and WMP played it no problem.  I also discovered i can convert my FLACs to WMPLossless with dBpoweramp and then to ALAC with itunes, quite an annoying process however.
i'd pay money for a filter that allows WMP to play dBpoweramp's ALACs, but i guess there's nothing out there yet.

thanks again

Reply #85
BINGO!  I ripped a CD to ALAC with itunes and WMP played it no problem.  I also discovered i can convert my FLACs to WMPLossless with dBpoweramp and then to ALAC with itunes, quite an annoying process however.
i'd pay money for a filter that allows WMP to play dBpoweramp's ALACs, but i guess there's nothing out there yet.

thanks again

In theory all ALAC files should be equal and all should play. It is clear that dBpoweramp is not creating 100% kosher ALAC files.

Depending on the source of your files, it may be as simple to re-rip all your CDs directly to ALAC using iTunes, this would be a single step and also allow iTunes to apply its own meta-information. You could also search for other tools to convert directly from FLAC to ALAC. I know on the Mac this would be possible for example using "Max" see http://sbooth.org/Max/ or "X Lossless Decoder" see http://tmkk.hp.infoseek.co.jp/xld/index_e.html

If you use anything other than iTunes obviously you need to test the results.

In my own case I used iTunes in Windows to rip all my CDs.

Reply #86
Hi guys,

Seems this is a popular topic, I have a Pioneer AV Amp which doesn't accept WMA lossless which I've ripped all my music to - how DAMN annoying  .  Anyway the solution I came up with is a simple two step process for playing apple lossless via airplay and also on my media centres using a single archive file on a nas server complete with tags and album artwork.  Funtastic!

1) Rip all your music in Itunes to your desired folder (Lossless of course)
2) Install WMPTagPlus-2.2
3) Install DCBassSourceSetup  (I used the installer zip)

It works on Windows 8.1 Brilliant 

And thanks to all that gave a little insight as to where to start looking, just what the net is for