Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: fooweb2020: reworked components website (Read 7767 times) previous topic - next topic

fooweb2020: reworked components website

Long overdue refresh of the components website is now live.
Notable changes:
  • It can now host alternate versions of a component, such as archived old versions.
  • Pretty formatting of change log - separate field to indicate what's new in this version.
  • Auto updater will show what's new in this version from foobar2000 v1.5.3 up.
Example of new change log formatting and archived releases-
https://foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_abx/releases

Not all components currently have change logs. I converted the ones I saw. Component authors can update their stuff with proper change logs.

Feedback welcome.

Edit
Bonus feature-
Required foobar2000 version is set per-release, so auto updater looks for the newest feasible version from the available packages.
foobar2000 v1.3.x users now get foo_abx 2.0.6c while the newest is 2.0.6d which requires foobar2000 v1.4 or newer.

Bonus feature #2-
You can release beta versions that are not pushed thru auto update, simply set current version to something else than the highest uploaded version.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Re: fooweb2020: reworked components website

Reply #1
That's awesome news!

Regarding "Auto updater will show what's new":
Will it show the changelog before or after the component update?
Will there be an option to cancel the update? E.g. component update introduces undesirable changes (described in the changelog), so user wants to keep using the old version.

Regarding "Pretty formatting of change log":
Are there any docs describing formatting engine capabilities?

Would it be possible to add a dl counter so component devs could satisfy their vanity? =)
This counter could be non-public (i.e. viewable only from admin panel) if for some reason it's considered problematic.

Reply #2
A small nit-pick: mixed letter casing in the admin panel - some links are `Upper Case`d, others are `lower case`d.

Reply #3
Regarding auto update vs change logs-
Change logs will be shown before a new version is installed, in the dialog listing components about to be updated. You can opt out.
I'll also add an option to skip a specific version of a component.

Change log formatting-
There's not much to it other than what you can already see. Prefix lines with an asterisk to produce bullet lists.
The most important change is that you can write change logs without spamming it all (unformatted!) in the component description.
Component description formatting will probably be modernized in the future, as some of them could really use bullet lists and such.

Re download counter-
Noted for a future update.

Re admin panel wording-
Noted, cleanup in progress.

Reply #4
Thanks for the answers!

Change log formatting feature requests:
- Nested bullet lists:
  • Item
  • SubList
    • SubItem
- Clickable links. Preferably with aliasing support:
  http://google.com
  Google < aliased
- Basic text formatting:
  underline/bold/italics
- Some sort of special highlight that could be used for code (e.g. some sort of monospaced font):
  Code highlight

Reply #5
This is an awesome update Peter. Having a version history is a huge improvement.

With the addition of the version history, is it possible to get an owner of a component changed for long abandoned projects? (In my case foo_musicbrainz). I would like to get my latest version in the official registry so that people can find it easier, but I don't want to change the component name. Seems that if the original version was still easily accessible, that would allow this kind of change to happen in select cases.

Reply #6
Changing component ownership is already possible, but limited to administrators.

Reply #7
Forum-like formatting syntax is being worked on, for component descriptions.

However, don't get your hopes up for formatting of change logs - plain edit box in foobar2000 will have to show these, plain bullet lists will have to do for now.

Regarding component ownership transfer, I'm trying to contact the original author to see if he's OK with this.

Reply #8
New update pushed. Refer to help for list of formatting codes that work in component descriptions.

Also, foo_musicbrainz ownership has been transferred.

Reply #9
Refreshed links part of component info; many component descriptions link to source code pages so I added a 'source code' link field.

Reply #11
Crash report tracker is old but it was not integrated with components admin panel until now.

It's not quite automated, I have to set it up manually for each component.

Reply #12
It's not quite automated, I have to set it up manually for each component.
Still, it's a really good feature, which (theoretically) should allow for faster bug fixing (since not a lot of users bother with bug reporting...).

Another small feature request: after editing component description and clicking `Submit` it will redirect to https://www.foobar2000.org/componentsadmin, would it be possible to make it stay on the component page instead?

PS: It seems a few users do not bother updating component even if it's buggy and crashes fb2k >_<

Reply #13
Will components no longer supported by current Foobar2000 versions also be added?

I'm asking because I've spent two days trying to figure out which version of Foobar2000 I needed to install to get foo_vis_channelusage working.  I finally discovered where the original came from and luckily it also listed the required Foobar2000 version.

I was hoping to find out if someone (or @foosion himself) was willing to update it so it also can be added in current installations I don't mind if the layout stays unchanged but would love it if it could be added as a panel (cui/dui). This component has helped me immensely to find out why some multi channel audio files didn't play as advertised.

Reply #14
I'm not making a CUI/DUI panel version but I've compiled a version that works with v1.3 and above

edited: dropped the minimum requirement from fb2k v1.5 to v1.3

Reply #15
Another small feature request: after editing component description and clicking `Submit` it will redirect to https://www.foobar2000.org/componentsadmin, would it be possible to make it stay on the component page instead?
OK, will change that with the next update of the site.

Regarding old components-
Current version of foobar2000 successfully loads stuff that's over a decade old. If you have a component that doesn't work, it has to be from mid-00s. I will not specifically support such.

Reply #18
I'm not making a CUI/DUI panel version but I've compiled a version that works with v1.3 and above

edited: dropped the minimum requirement from fb2k v1.5 to v1.3

Great! Thank you soooo much. This will make my life much much easier. Together with foo_dsp_mm I can now at least put the channels in the correct location if the file has a weird channel mapping.

Reply #21
I saw the changelog when I had updated foo_skip or foo_vgmstream, though for no other components such as foo_midi.

Reply #23
I noticed an incorrect label in the new component updater. The field that displays the changelog is incorrectly labelled with the release date of the update. For example, when I check for a vgmstream update, the field that displays the changelog is labelled as 2020-03-11.

Reply #24
When the system is enabled in the global proxy mode, fb1.5.3b2 is exited, and the cpu usage is too high to exit.
 .png 15.37 KB, 823x274 - viewed 270 times