Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WASAPI default is Event or Push in latest versions ? (Read 3669 times) previous topic - next topic

WASAPI default is Event or Push in latest versions ?

Sorry if this has already been answered but I couldn't find it mentioned.

So newer versions of Foobar have WASAPI exclusive output as a default with no need to install
a separate component.

But is that wasapi (event) or wasapi (push) ?
I can't find any options in the player.

thanks

Re: WASAPI default is Event or Push in latest versions ?

Reply #1
The default is "event."  The WASAPI settings are in Prefs/Advanced/Playback;  they make look a bit "obscure" and the developer's recommendation is "please try to leave them alone."  He did plenty of testing to come up with settings that would perform well with most devices.

Reply #2
Thank you.  Just checking.

Reply #3
Hello,
I have question.
Is it possible to change the wasapi mode in foobar2000 1.6.7x without component wasapi support, should it be event or push? I'm just asking out of curiosity, I'm not going to permanently touch the defaults settings. I only need this information for testing. There is an enable event option in pref/advanced/Playback/Exclusive output overrides and it is checked by default. If I uncheck it, will I switch to push or does it work differently?
Greetings

Reply #4
What’s the difference between the push and event?

Reply #5
There are probably explanations of push/event differences out there if you do a search...

I just wanted to mention that the default configuration causes underflows when using Virtual Audio Cable.
I had to check "Exclusive output overrides" and uncheck "Use event" to fix it.

This is not something that should concern 99.99% of users, but maybe someone will find it useful.

Reply #6
Hello,
I have question.
Is it possible to change the wasapi mode in foobar2000 1.6.7x without component wasapi support, should it be event or push? I'm just asking out of curiosity, I'm not going to permanently touch the defaults settings. I only need this information for testing. There is an enable event option in pref/advanced/Playback/Exclusive output overrides and it is checked by default. If I uncheck it, will I switch to push or does it work differently?
Greetings

If you first check "Exclusive output overrides" and then uncheck "Use event" it will switch to Push.

Reply #7
Hello,
I have question.
Greetings

If you first check "Exclusive output overrides" and then uncheck "Use event" it will switch to Push.

Thank you very much :)
I was testing the differences with foo_out_wasapi and I noticed that my sound card in push mode generates slightly lower latency in exclusive mode. Exactly the same behavior was when I did what you wrote above. I just wanted to make sure that these activities actually turn on the push. Now I am 100 percent sure. However, I will stay for the event, because I have the impression that this mode is more stable for me. I only needed this information for testing.