Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_discogs (Read 1367241 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: foo_discogs

Reply #2125
Updates:
* Fix bug in pagination handling
* Move "Find deleted releases" and "Find releases not in collection" to "Utilities" sub-menu
* Fix inefficiency in "Find deleted releases"
* Add caching tab to configuration dialog
* Parsing hidden tracks option is currently on the caching tab because it shouldn't really exist - it's hacky solution
* Show both "Write Tags" and "Preview Tags" buttons
* New function $multi_meta_files() to get meta from all files in the release being tagged

EDIT: fixed bug - write tags not working directly from track matching dialog

Reply #2126
I have edited the release as 1-A1, 1-B1, 1-B2, 2-A1 etc. The logic would be that the numbers before the hyphens are the disc number (a la multiple CD releases), and after the hyphens are the side and track numbers a la individual vinyl tracknumbers.

Just tried and the tagger had no problem with them like this.
Cool. I wish Discogs would provide a logical structure to their track positions (they wouldn't have to sacrifice what they currently allow, just provide an additional field for it), but I guess that's unlikely to ever happen. They've always leaned towards lack of structure.

After working quite a lot of time, suddenly, I cannot use the shortcut SHIFT+D, nor can I use the "Write Tags..." menu entry, because its greyed out. (see screenshot)
Thanks for the info. There must be some way that one of the dialogs isn't closed correctly, which causes the program to think it's still open (maybe it's only hidden). Perhaps an error condition. I don't think a dump will help with this as it doesn't contain the history of how we got in that state.

Reply #2127
This may be useful for back-up or sharing tag formatting strings. It saves in binary format (basically the same as foo_discogs.dll.cfg but with only the tag mappings) so not useful for editing. Currently all existing tag mappings are cleared before importing but this could be made optional.

Update:
* Add function to import and export tag mappings

Reply #2128
This may be useful for back-up or sharing tag formatting strings.
Yeah! Great, thank you.

Another Question:
How can I check the XML, which comes back from the discoGS when searching for an artists releases?
I only found the output for a special release:
Code: [Select]
curl https://api.discogs.com/releases/249504 --user-agent "FooBarApp/3.0"

Reason: I'd like to check myself, why the component does not show this release (maybe the DiscoGS XML does not return it...): UB40 ‎– The Very Best Of UB40 1980 - 2000

The component only shows this, when selecting "best" (also tried with searchstring "2000")

EDIT:
Same with Somewhere Back In Time Iron Maiden
Component (or XML) only shows results for Iron Maiden's "Somewhere In Time", with searchterm "somewh"

Reply #2129
Are you using the latest version? It works for me, but the pagination bug from a couple builds ago above could cause some releases to be missing.

Reply #2130
Are you using the latest version?
I try to, but I cant :-) The downloads from the last posts do not work/start. They seem valid links, but FF or JD2 isnt starting downloading...

EDIT:
Ok...I saw the Download Counters are growing since yesterday, so it must be my personal config which did now allow me to dl the files....
I have been using JDownloader2 and Firefox Download Them All Addon, but they both had problems to dl the files... (of course, they dl every other files from everywhere w/o problems...) But the simple "Save Link As..." did the job in FireFox.... I haven't used this since years ;-)

Thank you zoomorph, now its working, because the fetching process takes care of all the artists-release-pages....!

Oh, and Thank You for the Write/Preview-Buttons!!! Very much appreciated!

Anyways, Anyboday an answer to my initial Question:
How can I check the XML, which comes back from the discoGS when searching for an artists releases?
just in case....

Reply #2132
I have edited the release as 1-A1, 1-B1, 1-B2, 2-A1 etc. The logic would be that the numbers before the hyphens are the disc number (a la multiple CD releases), and after the hyphens are the side and track numbers a la individual vinyl tracknumbers.

Just tried and the tagger had no problem with them like this.
Thanks a lot! It indeed works now.

I wish Discogs would provide a logical structure to their track positions (they wouldn't have to sacrifice what they currently allow, just provide an additional field for it), but I guess that's unlikely to ever happen. They've always leaned towards lack of structure.
It's hard to fault discogs here... it's a community database after all and conventions & preferences have shifted over the course of the last 15 years...
I got a reply from nik re track-master data, which could be interesting... once it's made it to something tangible:
https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/710721
and
https://support.discogs.com/support/tickets/125077

c.

Reply #2133
Hi zoomorph,
I came across a minor, but somehow inconvenient change in the new releases of the component.

In the Find Release Window, I enter the name of the Artists and pressed TAB to (very) quickly switch to the Search-Button and then pressed Enter.

Now, with the new versions, the order of the TABs has changed and TAB switches to the Filter-Field instead of the (normal, because next to the) Artists-Field.

Did this happen by accident (because it worked intuitive and great before, or was this made on purpose? And can you change it back?

Reply #2134
On the last page, I had a problem and I think I may have found the solution now…

I wanted to quickly download "art only" without tagging. But now I think it's best if I allow tagging - particularly the Artist ID and Release ID tags. That way my entire music collection will have ID tags and I should (theoretically) be able to download all the art in bulk, based on those ID tags.

So my new question is:
If I assign Artist ID and Release ID tags to all my music, how can I then bulk/batch download art for everything in one session? I feel it must be possible, as the plugin itself says that the ID tags are used for "updating" art. How is this "updating" normally done?

Reply #2135
I have another question too: I'm going to be tagging A LOT of albums (thousands). That will involve hours of sitting around waiting for search data to be downloaded. Is there not an easy way to batch tag albums? I was thinking it would be really useful if I could select a whole batch of albums to batch-tag, and have the plugin "pre-download" all the query information, then at the end bring up a dialogue allowing me to identify the albums instantly without the headache of waiting for the downloading of data.

Reply #2136
One more question: identifying the correct album can sometimes be a chore when there are dozens of options to choose from. Couldn't this be sped up by allowing filters (eg filter out anything containing the word "tape" or "LP")? I sometimes try to type "CD" into the filter box, hoping it will only show results that contain the word "CD", but it doesn't work and everything disappears.

Reply #2137
In the Find Release Window, I enter the name of the Artists and pressed TAB to (very) quickly switch to the Search-Button and then pressed Enter.
Will fix in next release.

If I assign Artist ID and Release ID tags to all my music, how can I then bulk/batch download art for everything in one session? I feel it must be possible, as the plugin itself says that the ID tags are used for "updating" art. How is this "updating" normally done?
"Update album/artist art" will do that.

Is there not an easy way to batch tag albums?
Not using foo_discogs. There are other programs that might help, but I'm not sure how accurate they are (would they pick the right release when there are multiple similar ones?).

Couldn't this be sped up by allowing filters (eg filter out anything containing the word "tape" or "LP")?
Currently you can only enter one filter. Maybe I should change it so that every word entered in the filter box is matched independently.

Reply #2138
Zoomorph, thank you for your answers :)

"Update album/artist art" will do that.
Oh yeah. That seems obvious now but I just never noticed that before.

Couldn't this be sped up by allowing filters (eg filter out anything containing the word "tape" or "LP")?
Currently you can only enter one filter. Maybe I should change it so that every word entered in the filter box is matched independently.
That would be great, though here is what I think would be much better: beneath the title filter box, you have a second box called "Details filter", which searches items independently, remains constant between sessions, and allows minus signs to be used to exclude items. For example:

Title filter: "All The Single Ladies"
Details filter: "CD -LP -tape -single -promo UK -russia"
(Note that in the above example, the excluded term "-single" would be automatically ignored as it is contained in the Title)

An alternative to this would be to have checkboxes for all these terms (CD, tape, promo, etc) which will filter when turned on?

I have another question: when the plugin brings up the list of releases, is there any easy way for it to know how many tracks each release has? If so, this would make searching much faster, as any releases with a different number of tracks could be immediately/automatically excluded from the results.

While I'm here, I have a very minor suggestion concerning the position of the buttons. On the "Find Release" dialog, it would feel more natural to have "Next" on the far right and "Cancel" to the left of it. While on the "Release" dialog, it would seem more natural to me for the "back" button to be over on the far left, and have the "Write tags" button over on the far right. Just a little thought I had.

One final question (thank you for your patience): there is usually a release entry with an asterisk next to it? This usually seems to be the correct choice, but not always. What does the asterisk mean?

Reply #2139
Hi zoomorph,
just another minor thing: when clicking on an artist in the find release windows, the "getting artists releases..." process is starting. now, when the user clicks on another artist, another process for that artist is starting too (which is very useful => time saver).
But, if the user clicks again on an artist which has an ongoing process, another process is started.

I guess, it is reasonable to do a check first, if the clicked artists has an ongoing process to avoid double data fetching (bandwitdh+api calls).

Reply #2140
Hi zoomorph,
I just encountered the "Update Tags" feature is back again 8-) or is it just a placebo?

1)
I have some questions:
After clicking "Update Tags" on screen a,
where does the "Skip" button should send me to?
The window just closes and nothing happens.

2)
On screen b, a "Back" Button would be useful to go back to screen a) is it possible?
On screen c, a "Back" Button would be useful to go back to screen b) is it possible?

3)
After clicking "Update Tags" on screen b,
nothing happens,
but the settings should be ok, see screen e.

screenshots for Version: 2.01, Compiled: Apr 15 2016:

screen a:

screen b:

screen c:

screen d:

screen e:

+1!

Reply #2141
Are you using the latest version? It works for me, but the pagination bug from a couple builds ago above could cause some releases to be missing.
Is it at all possible to make a 'betas' section on the github for compiled binaries? It can be hard to make sure I have the most recent version digging through this thread.
Thank you.

Reply #2142
Is it at all possible to make a 'betas' section on the github for compiled binaries? It can be hard to make sure I have the most recent version digging through this thread.
EDIT: Reading your post again, I think, I did not quite answered it correct. Sorry for spending your time....

I assume, the version info is now updated for the users easement at a regulary basis? (with each release/dl-link here in the forum)
when u go to the f2k-preferences and take a look at the components tab (the fist/upper tab), you may see the current/installed component version. you can double-click on it. for further information, like:
A tagger using the Discogs (http://www.discogs.com) database.

Authors:  Michael Pujos (aka bubbleguuum) (v1.32), zoomorph (v1.33+)
Version: 2.01
Compiled: Apr 15 2016

This plugin links statically with the following open source libraries (thanks to their respective authors):

jansson - JSON Parser: http://www.digip.org/jansson/
liboauthcpp - OAuth library: https://github.com/sirikata/liboauthcpp
zlib - compression library: http://www.zlib.net

Thanks to Discogs' staff for making the data available via a proper web API.
although, for the betas, I'd like to see the current version in the components find-release-window, so you know very easy/quick which version you are using....

Reply #2143
I've now uploaded this as the official version on the components repository.

Reply #2145
I try to give tracks names according to MusicBrainz' style guideline. More or less, that is.
It looks like Discogs (the online DB) capitalize all words in the tracks.
Hence I have put this formatting string in the TITLE tag mappings:
TITLE: $replace(%TRACK_TITLE%, A , a , An , an, As , as , At , at , By , by , In , in , Of , of , On , on , Or , or , To , to , And , and , For , for , Nor , nor , The , the , Via , via )
But when a title has two words from this string next to each other, only the first is replaced. Like this:

"Out Of The Inn" becomes "Out of The Inn" and not "Out of the Inn".

Masstagger reacts the same way, but a single run with two identical actions does the job.
The Discogs component makes no changes in a second lookup in the database.
I have tried to split the replace statement in two different parts (separated by space or comma or semicolon) but to no avail.

Anyone having a solution?

Zoomorph, thanks for your hard work, it is much appreciated!

Reply #2146
PeteG,
The only suggestion I can make at the moment is to run $replace() again on the result of the first $replace(). I suspect that the overlapping spaces prevent it from replacing both.

Reply #2147
zoomorph, thanks for your reply. A double $replace() run doesn't help (with or without in-between renaming of files). But it is really a minor problem that Masstagger can fix. And yeah, my guess is as well that the overlapping spaces are the culprits. Nevermind.

In your indispensable HTML documentation there's a pointer to a titleformat_help.css in the head section. Does it exist IRL?
If not, I'll make a simple css; it's easier to read the tables with a bit of border and colour formatting.

Btw, it seems that the component – in some situations – can be used as a debugging tool, when the online DB has an error preventing a lookup. Nice.
Example: I got a "(FATAL) Error: JSON ParserExpectionError parsing release credits". It turned out to be this: (tracks: 1 to 5 7 to 12). Changing to (tracks: 1 to 5, 7 to 12) solved the issue.

It's really quite easy to make minor changes, and all the active users of the component already have an account. Bigger changes may require validation from the staff, in my experience it'll take a day or two (some sort of documentation or description is always needed).

Reply #2148
What zoomorph told you to do should work, you just probably did it wrong.

Your original code:
$replace(%title%, A , a , An , an, As , as , At , at , By , by , In , in , Of , of , On , on , Or , or , To , to , And , and , For , for , Nor , nor , The , the , Via , via)

The same code nested around itself:
$replace($replace(%title%, A , a , An , an, As , as , At , at , By , by , In , in , Of , of , On , on , Or , or , To , to , And , and , For , for , Nor , nor , The , the , Via , via), A , a , An , an, As , as , At , at , By , by , In , in , Of , of , On , on , Or , or , To , to , And , and , For , for , Nor , nor , The , the , Via , via)

The easiest way to produce it is to take your original code, select all, copy, highlight %title% inside it and paste.

For the record this also works:
$replace($replace($replace(%title%, In , in ), The , the ), Of , of )

Reply #2149
Daeron, you're quite right! As always, I might add. Thanks a lot. I simply misunderstood what zoomorph meant; I didn't think in terms of nesting ... sigh.
Some nitpicking, sorry: The Via, via part should end with a space:
$replace($replace(%title%, A , a , An , an, As , as , At , at , By , by , In , in , Of , of , On , on , Or , or , To , to , And , and , For , for , Nor , nor , The , the , Via , via ), A , a , An , an, As , as , At , at , By , by , In , in , Of , of , On , on , Or , or , To , to , And , and , For , for , Nor , nor , The , the , Via , via )