Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Ripping with EAC from scratched CD (Read 8318 times) previous topic - next topic

Ripping with EAC from scratched CD

Hello!

I am currently ripping an old scratched CD with my LITE-ON drive using EAC's secure mode and it seems that the remaining time for the 7th track is about 10 hours. EAC is ripping the track for about one hour now, but there aren't any read errors yet - only the first error correction stage was reached until now.
Anyways, should I let it rip the remaining 10 hours (I set it to cool down the device for 15 minutes after each 60 minutes of extraction) or cancel the process?

Regards,
Sebastian

Reply #1
Rip the 7th track in burst mode and see if your litey is faster ... if yes, use T&C
The name was Plex The Ripper, not Jack The Ripper

Reply #2
Rip the 7th track in burst mode and see if your litey is faster ... if yes, use T&C
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=242195"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If your goal is to get a 1:1 copy of the disc burst mode won't do it.  If you can get 2 rips of the same track with the same md5sum your good to go.  That won't happen with anything but secure mode, and only if the error correction doesn't go beyond the first line.

Reply #3
OK, it finished sooner - I guess that only 85% - 90% is damaged. Anyways, the track quality reported is 97.6%. Should I re-rip with the same device? My other two DVD drives fail to read the track after 1 second (synch. error).

Reply #4

If your goal is to get a 1:1 copy of the disc burst mode won't do it.  If you can get 2 rips of the same track with the same md5sum your good to go.  That won't happen with anything but secure mode, and only if the error correction doesn't go beyond the first line.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=242200"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Of course ... burst mode will do if T&C is used and your drive supports the "accurate stream" feature ...

@ sebastian ...

I would rip the track again just to be sure ...

Reply #6

It took 2 minute to rip the track in test mode, but the CRCs don't match.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=242207"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Try Secure Mode with C2 and T&C ...

Reply #8
This may sound overly pragmatic, but if you're spending this much time and effort on ripping why not just buy another copy and be done with it.

Reply #9
You could just check the suspicious portions reported in secure mode audibly and with a wave editor such as audacity for anything abnormal. I find with real bad CD's that you can never get a 100% rip, but you can listen to the reported problems and see if they are noticable, they often aren't or are removable.

Of course this isn't a pure copy, but if its not noticable, its the best you will get form the scratched disc.

I often log my scratched discs i own, and then borrow from a friend who has the same CD, and back it up, i still own the original, allbeit scratched, so it soouldn't be a piracy issue!

Kristian

Reply #10
give paranoid mode a go, it's the same as secure mode but reads in smaller chunks.
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #11
Better idea: Buy a repair-kit and polish the damaged part of the CD with this polish-gel. In a german computer-magazine (was it c't ? - can´t remember anymore) I read a test about such a kit which brought very good results in such cases. But it was also quite expensive (the kit). Costed about 4 or 5 € as far as I can remember. And it lasted only for 1 or 2 sessions. So: Maybe the better choice is to buy a used CD over ebay and start to rip this one then.
My used codecs and settings:
FLAC V1.1.2 -4 / APE V3.99 Update 4 -high / MPC V1.15v --q 5 / LAME V3.97b2 -V2 --vbr-new / OGG aoTuV V4.51 Lancer -q5

Reply #12
give paranoid mode a go, it's the same as secure mode but reads in smaller chunks.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=242226"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Paranoid mode's cache disabling is broken.

Reply #13
Negative, CRCs don't match. Also, in test mode EAC used only the first correction step, while in extract mode it went up to the fourth.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=242214"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

hm ... in that case, I had some success with enabling drive spinup, drive slowdown and selecting a lower read speed with my 52246S

Reply #14

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=242200"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have ripped discs in burst mode before with my Plex's and achieved matching CRCs with test and copy.
daefeatures.co.uk

Reply #15
polish the damaged part

Yes why not.  A recent thread on this forum gave good info on how to restore a scratched CD with or without brasso. If you (Sebastian) expect to encounter more scratched CDs after this one, brasso is worth trying out, IMO. I find it also useful to speed up extraction on lightly scratched CDs, like you describe:
EAC is ripping the track for about one hour now, but there aren't any read errors yet - only the first error correction stage was reached until now.

Reply #16
I strongly recommend against going the do-it-yourself route. I've tried the commercial SkipDoctor kit as well as Brasso and all I got for my efforts was five CDs ruined beyond repair.

If the CD has some serious scratches and/or hard to replace find a professional CD/DVD resurfacing service near you. Ata few dollars a disc it is well worth the peace of mind.

Reply #18
Use "Compare WAVs" option to check the positions of the errors.

If there are differences and EAC says ripping is OK, then EAC might not be properly configured.

Reply #19
There was another thread around here about different do-it-yourself ways of fixing scratches (Brasso, polishing, sanding, etc). Toothpaste sucks. Brasso can certainly help with light scratches and cleaning. The ultimate way, and the method I now prefer (especially if it's important) is to simply take to a place that does commercial resurfacing. Those industrial strength machines do an awesome job and can make even the worst CD look like brand new (and I should know after getting mad and sanding the heck out of one lol). And it's generally WAY cheaper than buying a new CD. However, I've discovered simply cleaning with a bit of hand soap and cold water can sometimes do the trick with light scratches too. This is how I clean my eye glasses actually. The optomitrist told me to use the pumpable type of hand soap, and not dish soap which I used to use. Part of the reason is because dish soap is pretty harsh and could possible take off anti-glare coating, and can leave a film. To get to my point, I've found hand soap to be way better than any of those sprays you can buy. And as I've found out tonight, also does a great job with scratched/dirty CD's. Probably because it gets out anything that may have settled in those scratches. It's almost as good as Brasso even. Of course, dry with a soft, clean, lint free cloth afterwards. Naturally, none of this will help if the CD was badly pressed (I have a Dan Gibson's Solitudes CD from the 80's that is like this). Then you have to buy a new one or hope that EAC can eventaully make a good enough copy.

Reply #20
OK, thanks for the information. However, the thing which is a bit confusing is that EAC reports no errors but the CRCs never match. I get different values after each rip. Also, when detecting the gaps first, I get synch. errors in the middle of the track with my LITE-ON. When leaving the gap length to "Unknown", the track has a quality of 99.9% - 100% (the drive will slow down to something like 1.2x near the scratched position. Also, I have the slow down option disabled as LITE-ONs control the speed by themselves and I have some problems when enabling that. Spin up before extracting is enabled, however.

Reply #21
OK, thanks for the information. However, the thing which is a bit confusing is that EAC reports no errors but the CRCs never match. I get different values after each rip. Also, when detecting the gaps first, I get synch. errors in the middle of the track with my LITE-ON. When leaving the gap length to "Unknown", the track has a quality of 99.9% - 100% (the drive will slow down to something like 1.2x near the scratched position. Also, I have the slow down option disabled as LITE-ONs control the speed by themselves and I have some problems when enabling that. Spin up before extracting is enabled, however.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=242790"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The only way to really know if there is a problem or not is to get a really good pair of headphones (love the detail of my Sennheiser's when it comes to this) and listen to the ripped album closely. If you don't hear any problems then I wouldn't stress out about it too much. FWIW, both of my LiteOn's are set so that slow down is enabled, and spin up before extracting is disabled. I never bother detecting gaps manually, as the default gap settings are automatically used when ripping in EAC and I'm happy with that so far. Other than being time consuming, can't say I have anything to complain about as long as the final product sounds right, which about a little more than half of all scratched CD's I've ripped come out as (I seem to be doing a lot of those lately). If I know the exact spot that there is a problem, I'll use DeGlitch (free program) which sometimes helps too, but not always. Then there are always other options, like Adobe Audition, when it comes to editing out pops/clicks induced by errors. If all else fails or I start getting frustrated, then I'll just get the darn thing resurfaced and move on. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Reply #22
Sebastian - if EAC reports 100% quality extraction but the Test & Copy CRCs don't match it is either a)EAC doesn't support your drive properly or b)your drive is buggered.
Which Lite-On is it, anyway: LTR52246S or 52327s?