Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_midi (Read 82241 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: foo_midi

Reply #175
You can try a quick dirty hacky component http://www.saunalahti.fi/~cse/temp/foo_dyndec.fb2k-component. It exposes the dynamically changing fields you need in %dartist% and %dtitle%. Probably best to use with some if function wrapping, something like $if2(%dtitle%,%title%).
Hi there!
@kode54, @Case,
if the foo_dyndec component is installed, then playing any midi file will crash of fb2k if the syxg50.dll VST-plugin is set.
Please see how this can be fixed?

Reply #176
The crashing is probably my fault. I noticed in the documentation that the function rendering the string can be called from multiple threads and I had not taken that into account. New version with appropriate protections uploaded to http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_dyndec.

Edit: changed the link.

Reply #177
Hi kode54, is it possible to add a never looping mode with adjustable decay time or lowest volume threshold after the last note ended? 1s decay time still chops off a lot of MIDI files.

Reply #178
I can make it do an auto decay search pattern once the file has ended, but I'll have to do this a bit later, as I need to set up my dev environment again.

Reply #179
Thanks!

Reply #180
"MIDI Player 2.2.12" has a new error which upon opening the respective Options page for foo_midi it just stalls and crashes Foobar2000 entirely.
No error popup either, just the generic (Not Responding) text above most Windows titlebars.

EDIT: Upon removing my respective VSTi path it now works, It would be nice to still have that VSTi support though.
Furthermore with these tests, it seems any VSTi will crash the options page now, as I have singled out many of them from 3 to 1 different VSTi's within the respective folder of choice.

Reply #182
I was advised to remove a message pump from my pipe processing loops, which were in place for both VST instruments and the Secret Sauce. This message pump was causing one of Case's input wrapper components to crash.

I need further input from Peter for what to do, since this message pump is 100% necessary when the pipe interaction happens in the main thread.

Edit: I've fixed at least a possible cause for indefinite hangs. It will still hang while scanning, and while displaying an instrument's configuration/editor dialog, but it won't hang indefinitely like it did for that brief release. Still waiting on a proper solution.

Reply #183
Edit: I've fixed at least a possible cause for indefinite hangs. It will still hang while scanning, and while displaying an instrument's configuration/editor dialog, but it won't hang indefinitely like it did for that brief release. Still waiting on a proper solution.
Completely fixed thank you very much, amazing work as always!
It's doesn't even "still hang while scanning, and while displaying an instrument's configuration/editor dialog".

Another note: "Skip to first note" option actually changes the VSTi instruments of certain songs.
Although I like this change, I understand if you wish to fix this.

Reply #184
thank you Kode54, how about supporting Steinberg HALion Sonic 3, foo_midi doesn't want to see that marvelous VSTi plugin. Belive me HALion Sonic is the best of the best. I tried many of them and I know that for sure.
I recently discovered it for myself and was simply amazed how my midi files sounded now. It allows you to customize any instrument as you wish and assign any effects you want for each of them separately.
You can also download tons of different professional instrument or create them by yourself and assign them status of general midi, and they will be loaded automatically when midi plays.
You can achieve sound comparable to professional soundtracks if you spend enough time and tune them all.

thank you! please don't ignore my message.

Reply #185
You need the VSTi 2 version of it to work. I'm not adding support for VST 3. Also, I thought that was one of those programmable and configurable synthesizers that you basically need to hand tune for every sequencing job you put it through, similar to Kontakt Player, so I don't really see that as too useful for this. The whole purpose of adding VST instrument support was to support the Yamaha S-YXG50 synthesizer, and everything else was an afterthought.

Reply #186
Hi kode54, thank you for your response, Steinberg HALion Sonic 3 already support VSTi 2. It can also work as it is by default without any additional settings. no need to hand tune if you don’t want it.

Reply #187
Yes, and what I'm trying to tell you is that the VST 2 plugin should work already. If it doesn't, I can't exactly test it without a license.

Reply #189
"The free HALion Sonic SE download version does not contain any content."

How am I supposed to test this, then?

Reply #190
it should contain the standard General MIDI instruments.

Reply #191
Looks like a .NET hulking monstrosity. I don't think that will ever work in my host.

Reply #192
Why are you trying to use HALion in foo_midi anyway? HALion isn't well-suited for General MIDI playback.
¡Se habla español! Also available in purple and orange.

Reply #193
I just checked anyway, even if I wanted to get the free version, it does not include any instrument content whatsoever, and still requires an eLicensor dongle to activate the free license code they gave me.

E: I figured it out. Their stupid library uses the VST 2 export "MAIN" instead of "main", I have added this as a fallback. It loads, it's configurable, but I have no idea how to make it produce sound. Good luck, whatever.

Reply #194
Thank you for your efforts, now it is loading. but there is no sound.

Reply #195
Why are you trying to use HALion in foo_midi anyway? HALion isn't well-suited for General MIDI playback.
halion sonic 3 specifically designed for General MIDI playback.

Reply #196
I have attempted to load Halion 6, but I guess I need to try Halion Sonic instead. I still can't figure out how to configure this thing from Preferences so it will eventually play GM sound. I've tried various things, I don't know why it's not producing sound.

It's also not helpful that I can't use any of this crap in Wine.

Reply #197
I made a picture for you. 5 easy steps to enable general midi constantly.

Reply #198
my thoughts about the lack of sound. halion sonic 3 cannot detect asio driver inside foobar environment

Reply #199
It can't use ASIO output. It's supposed to be outputting through foobar2000, not the system.