Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Buying a new CD Writer (Read 19229 times) previous topic - next topic

Buying a new CD Writer

Hi folks,

I am planning to buy a new CD Writer and have the following options with me (availability and price)

1. Iomega 40X
2. Samsung/Acer 24X
3. Samsung 24X DVD combo drive

Anyone has any experiences with any of these ? I have learnt that the Iomega drive is actually a Plextor drive in another casing - at a much lesser price. The 24X ones are also very cheap and look good - I wonder if there'll be much difference in the 24X and 32X flavors. Plextor is too expensive compared to these and so I have ruled it out.

Thanks.

Regards,
experttech.
There are only 10 types of people on this earth - those who know binary and those who don't.

Dell Inspiron 5100
P4 2.4 533 FSB,
512 MB / 40 GB,
Windows XP Home

Buying a new CD Writer

Reply #1
it would consider liteon 24x or 32x or 40x
even above plextor

1: They support read/writting of 90 and 99mins cd's (plextor does only 90mins)
2: they hav perfect LME  recording (somthing plextors are still missing) which make you able to copy safedisc2 proctecte games
3: They have raw+96 read and write support. add this to #2 and you have the PERFECT "protected disc" replicator drive.
4: They are cheap
5: You can get them with black fronts

plexto where the best in the 12 and 16 burner but liteon are way ahead of them now.
Sven Bent - Denmark

Buying a new CD Writer

Reply #2
It depends a lot on what you're planning to use the drive for:

-Burning data
-Ripping & Burning cdda (audio)
-backup protected media (CloneCD & Co)

Some drives perform better in one task, other do another job better.

If you are considering a combo drive you apparantly do not own a DVD drive yet. In that case it is a economical solution.

Buying a new CD Writer

Reply #3
It depends a lot on what you're planning to use the drive for: 

-Burning data 
-Ripping & Burning cdda (audio) 
-backup protected media (CloneCD & Co) 

Mostly for burning data - backing up my data and music files. Rarely for burning ACDs and very rarely for backing up protected media.
There are only 10 types of people on this earth - those who know binary and those who don't.

Dell Inspiron 5100
P4 2.4 533 FSB,
512 MB / 40 GB,
Windows XP Home

Buying a new CD Writer

Reply #4
I have both a 2x CD-Writer (HP 7200) and a 40x CD-Writer (the new LG).

Well I think 40x is totally unnecessary. I have tried quite a lot of different media brands and most of them produce errors at the highest speeds. For most cases I limit the speed to 8x and I don't mind waiting 10 mins for a burn to be finished.

So my advice is not to go for a high speed CD-Writer, maybe up to 16x is all you need. Concentrate on other features instead: quality of DAE, ability to read/copy protected CDs, burn proof, etc... If you can, get a retail Plextor, lots of people seem to recommend them, plus plextor supplies some tools that allow ripping and copying of protected CDs (copying removes the protection of audio CDs!!!).

Have a look at http://www.plextor.be/English/technical/plextools.html for some info on PlexTools, plus an upgrade to the latest version.

In case you get an OEM CD-Writer that does not come with PlexTools, do a search on Google, they are plenty of places to download it from. Anyone reading, don't bother downloading it if you do not have a Plextor CD-Writer: it will not work.

Buying a new CD Writer

Reply #5
Sven_bent,

Small details matter: Plextor now also has a writer with a Black Bezel (and they call it a "special edition")
No inspiration

Buying a new CD Writer

Reply #6
Originally posted by sven_Bent
it would consider liteon 24x or 32x or 40x
even above plextor

I second that.  I bought the Lite-On 40x at Newegg.com for under a hundred U.S. bucks.  So far it has performed great.

Buying a new CD Writer

Reply #7
Originally posted by arman68
I have tried quite a lot of different media brands and most of them produce errors at the highest speeds. For most cases I limit the speed to 8x and I don't mind waiting 10 mins for a burn to be finished.

Thats what I fear the most. Even though many brands of CDRs are rated as 16X or 24X, I have heard that they usually return errors at the highest speeds. But again, today 32X media is widely available (HP 32X media is supposed to be rock solid).

Phew!

Dell Inspiron 5100
P4 2.4 533 FSB,
512 MB / 40 GB,
Windows XP Home

Buying a new CD Writer

Reply #8
Originally posted by Reaper

I second that.  I bought the Lite-On 40x at Newegg.com for under a hundred U.S. bucks.  So far it has performed great.

then why are you seconding (is this an actual word?!?) me when i say the liteon 24 or 32 or 40 is better then plextor ????

i said i woudl put them ABOVE plextor, that is that i consider them better then plextor from a tecnical point of view

Originally posted by deej_1977

Sven_bent, 

Small details matter: Plextor now also has a writer with a Black Bezel (and they call it a "special edition") 

i know i sell them :-) but the nero CD that comes with the speciel edition are unreadable... :-) another small detailt that might just show the plextor is not op to there former top quality
Sven Bent - Denmark

Buying a new CD Writer

Reply #9

then why are you seconding (is this an actual word?!?) me when i say the liteon 24 or 32 or 40 is better then plextor ????

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=second*4+0
second (SUPPORT)
verb [T] [/b]
to make a formal statement of support for (a suggestion made by someone else during a meeting) so that there can be a discussion or vote 
The motion was proposed by the club's chairwoman and seconded by the secretary.
INFORMAL "I could do with a drink." "I'll second that (=I agree with you)!"

So he's just saying he agrees with what you're saying...

[span style='font-size:9']qristus, grammar fairy[/span]

Buying a new CD Writer

Reply #10
Any opinions about any Samsung Writers ?

Dell Inspiron 5100
P4 2.4 533 FSB,
512 MB / 40 GB,
Windows XP Home

Buying a new CD Writer

Reply #11
I've used two different 24x CD-R drive so far, and BOTH of them produce errors (damaged sectors, not coasters), even when writing at lower speeds!  Both the AOPen 24x10x40 (CRW2440) and the Plextor 24/10/40A.

With my old AOpen 6x4x24 drive, it never produced a single errors, discs always pass "quality check" 100%.  It doesn't happen with the two newer drives I've tried, usually I get at least 1%-5% "damaged" (but readable) sectors, no matter what writing speed is used.  I have no idea why.

For ultimate reliability, I'd recommend a used/refurbished/NOS 8x4x24 or 6x4x24 drive!

Edit -- I second the notion on the Plextor.  The only advantage I noticed over the AOpen (and other drives) is more accurate reading (reads almost any data CD beautifully and very fast).  Build quality is a bit better than other drives.  Also, if you want fancy manuals, cables & (theoretical) tech support, great for 'newbie' users but not for much of anythings else.  This is the first and last time I waste extra money buying a Plextor *anything*.

Buying a new CD Writer

Reply #12
Originally posted by arman68
Have a look at http://www.plextor.be/English/technical/plextools.html for some info on PlexTools, plus an upgrade to the latest version.

"Plextools" doesn't seem to be included with the U.S. retail versions of the drive, instead some piece of crap called "Plextor Manager 2000."  It really looks like a piece of junk.

Buying a new CD Writer

Reply #13
@ fewtch

Perhabs you are using a bad IDE-cable.

I would suggest you to try a cable with 80 Pins and which is not longer than 45 cm long, if you are not using such a cable already.

Buying a new CD Writer

Reply #14
Originally posted by sneaker
@ fewtch

Perhabs you are using a bad IDE-cable.

I would suggest you to try a cable with 80 Pins and which is not longer than 45 cm long, if you are not using such a cable already.

I doubt it... why would a bad EIDE cable produce perfectly good reads, perfectly good writes (no coasters)... but only with some 'damaged sectors' on the media?

And it works fine (same cable) with the older, slower drive.

Edit -- I checked it, and it is 80 pins (don't know about the length).  The drive is set to "slave" off a Toshiba DVD-ROM drive. 

Strangely, a 40-pin cable was included with the Plextor drive in the retail box.

Buying a new CD Writer

Reply #15
Have you tried looking at the Ricoh line?

I am using a Ricoh MP7163A, perfect for everything.

Audio extraction is near flawless, in EAC I get 24X at the outer tracks of Audio CDs and 10X on the inner tracks.

Other things burning is superb, not one bad disc yet.

Cheers
AgentMil
-=MusePack... Living Audio Compression=-

Honda - The Power of Dreams

Buying a new CD Writer

Reply #16
Everyone says burning is superb (as long as there are no coasters), try a CD quality test for bad sectors with "CD Speed" located here:

http://www.cdspeed2000.com

Try the "Extra/Scandisc/Surface Scan" option & see if the CD-R really is being written perfectly.

Buying a new CD Writer

Reply #17
Originally posted by AgentMil
Have you tried looking at the Ricoh line?
Other things burning is superb, not one bad disc yet.

What speed do you burn at?

By the way how many of you do here are able to burn successfully at 32X

Edit: Corrected spelling

Dell Inspiron 5100
P4 2.4 533 FSB,
512 MB / 40 GB,
Windows XP Home

Buying a new CD Writer

Reply #18
I always burn at 10x for all my CDs.

fewtch I shall try that, thanks for the link.

Cheers
AgentMil

Buying a new CD Writer

Reply #20
Ok tried that CDSpeed program by Nero, no problems encountered doing the surface scan on three of my CD-Rs (Kodak Ultima). So I guess Ricoh burning is superb.

Thanks again to fewtch for the link to the program.

Cheers
AgentMil

Buying a new CD Writer

Reply #21
Ok tried that CDSpeed program by Nero, no problems encountered doing the surface scan on three of my CD-Rs (Kodak Ultima). So I guess Ricoh burning is superb.

Thanks again to fewtch for the link to the program.

Cheers
AgentMil

My pleasure.  Sounds like quality media too... maybe my problem is using cheap-ish media like Memorex, TDK, etc.  I'm really not sure what the problem is, maybe I'll actually try using a 40-pin connector cable instead, & see if the DMA mode of the Plextor (whichever one it is) still works.  I might try switching master/slave jumpers too.

Cheers...

Buying a new CD Writer

Reply #22
Well, I wasted several CD-R's trying different things, I still get "bad sectors" on any burned disc:

(1) Changing from 80-pin to 40-pin cable (came with the Plextor) -- no difference, a little slower maybe... still bad sectors.
(2) Changing Plextor to master, DVD-ROM to slave -- no difference, a little faster maybe... still bad sectors.
(3) Turning off DMA -- very slow writing of course with heavy CPU usage, no other difference... still bad sectors on the final CD-R.

Then I noticed the master switch on my (under-monitor) surge protector died (won't switch off).  Damnit...  ...well at least it died in the "on" position...

Buying a new CD Writer

Reply #23

i said i woudl put them ABOVE plextor, that is that i consider them better then plextor from a tecnical point of view

When I say "I second that", that's just my way of saying I agree with your statement  .

Buying a new CD Writer

Reply #24
So I guess Ricoh burning is superb.

Well, in the end, depends on who's manufacturing the CDs.

Ricoh sells CDs produced by themselves (Ricoh Inc.) which are very good, but sell some produced by Ritek too. Ritek didn't get high marks at Cdmediaworld's tests.

The best brands (manufacturers), according to their tests, are the usual: Mitsui Toatsu, Kodak, TDK, Pioneer, Ricoh and, of course, Taiyo Yuden.

Here are some CD factory infos:
http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom...factories.shtml

Interesting to notice the "Personal Favorites" section - Taiyo Yuden is the clear winner!

Regards;

Roberto.