Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: File tagging issue (Read 1031 times) previous topic - next topic

File tagging issue

hi,

the problem i am having seems like a file tagging issue.

i use foobar2000 to convery flac files to .WAV so i can play them from a USB stick plugged into my cd player.

some albums are giving me problems, such as track orders mixed up.

some flac albums play fine through the USB stick in the player, others not.

i can only think that the cd player's USB tech is getting confused by the tagging?

i am assuming the USB tech in my marantz cd player reads standard ID3 tagging?

i have read the manual section about the USB reader, and it says this:

Tag data

ID3-TAG (Ver.1.x and 2.x)

WMA-TAG

AAC-TAG
(The title, artist, and album tag data are supported)

how casn i tag flac files in foobar2000 and make sure they adhere to the above ID3 Ver. 1.x & 2.x?

Re: File tagging issue

Reply #1
can anyone offer some advice, please?

how do i tag files in foobar2000 so they appear correctly in the cd player usb?

Reply #2
can anyone offer some advice, please?

how do i tag files in foobar2000 so they appear correctly in the cd player usb?

CTRL-click your files>Tagging>MP3 Tag Types...

additionally, look in prefs>Advanced>Tagging>MP3

Reply #3
ok, that makes things a bit clearer, thank you.

using your first suggestion, i discovered the file in question was ID3v2.

that's ok, as my cd player USB supports v2.

the problem is, i went into that files properties in foobar200, and the details tab said it was ID3v2.3?

i'm confused, is it ID3v2 or ID3v2.3?

i just put an album onto the USB stick to play through my cd player USB input, and it showed track 08 from the foobar2000 playlist as being track 2??

why?

i just want the USB stick to play the files in the same order as they are in foobar2000.

it isn't scrambling them alphabetically, and i do not have 'random' or a 'shuffle' function on.

i have put other albums on there and they play fine, so it doesn't sound like the USB player, but the tagging itself?

Reply #4
I suspect that your CD player simply sorts the songs by filename. Solution: set output filename to %tracknumber% - %title% or something like that.

Reply #5
as i mentioned in my previous post, it isn't scrambling the files alphabetically.
the first track playing from the USB stick in the cd player was titled with a 'T'
the second track was titled with an 'L'.

so that rules that out.

output filename is already set to %tracknumber% - %title%.

Reply #6
i'm confused, is it ID3v2 or ID3v2.3?
Your first post says it supports ID3v2.x so it should be fine. Nothing uses v2 straight, in fact v2.2 was the first public version released according to wikipedia.

Why do you have to convert FLAC to WAV or was that a typo? That seems terribly inefficient. (Do WAV files even support traditional tagging this way?) Surely it can play MP3 or AAC (M4A) files instead - have you tried these formats?

FLAC files use Vorbis Comment tags, not any of the ones you listed as supported (ID3, WMA, AAC)

Cheers

Reply #7
cheers for getting back to me :)

my USB input on the cd player does not support FLAC/ALAC, so the closest i can get to not lose any quality is to convert to WAV.

i tend to only listen to one or two albums at a time through the USB input on the cd player, snd there is plenty of space on the stick.

there really is no decent trade off between keeping the audio qulity of a FLAC on the USB input of the cd player.
it's either MP3/AAC or WAV.

i tried converting the problematic files in itunes and they were read by my cd player USB input fine.
i realise itunes does all the tagging right, it re-does all the track numbering to '01', '02' etc.

Reply #8
Hi

I have looked into the user manual for a Marantz CD 6006 and found a section “Playing order of MP3/WMA/AAC/FLAC”. It seems the playing order is determined by how the files are written onto the media.

Reply #9
i realise that ;)

if you bunged a load of files on there that had no track numbering, it would most probably sort them alphabetically instead.

this is what i'm trying to sort out with foobar2000.

anything i chuck at it converted from itunes plays in the correct order.

i've had problems with files coming from foobar2000.

some files are tagged oddly initially, so i want to use foobar2000 to tag them properly so they are read by my cd player USB input correctly, like it does with files i have converted from itunes.