Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: World Cup! (Read 60873 times) previous topic - next topic

World Cup!

Yo! Seeing there're so many Europeans on HA... can't believe there's no World Cup thread yet

I'm HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY... my fav team (the one with the orange uniform, guess ) just won their 2nd match and is assured to go to the 2nd round!

Yay!!!

World Cup!

Reply #1
Too busy watching no time to post

World Cup!

Reply #2
As I'm writing this the score is MEX: 0/ANG: 0.

Obviously I'm rooting for Mexico.
we was young an' full of beans

World Cup!

Reply #4
still enjoying the 6-0 to servia y montenegro ... the press too http://www.servicios.clarin.com/notas/jsp/...p?pagid=1216625
Argentina are blistering.  Their game against the Ivory Coast was good too.

Brazil were disappointing in their first game (Ronaldo looks unfit), but you know that they can pull it out of the bag when they need to.

I'm glad we're definately through already, but our performances have not been good so far.  England have some really top notch players, but never seem to be able to gel as a team.  I don't know if I'd rather we faced Germany or Equador.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying the whole affair so far.
I'm on a horse.

World Cup!

Reply #5
If you come to the #foobar2000 chatroom, we have a betting site there (it's in the channel topic). Just for fun. You should be able to find the way...

World Cup!

Reply #6
Betting? No way... even now I'm just breaking even.

I originally thought the final would be Brazil vs (European), but now after Argentine's amazing game (I esp. like the 2nd goal, very nice teamwork in totally destroying Serbia's defense) I change my prediction to Argentine vs (European)

Maybe The Netherlands? I wish

World Cup!

Reply #7
i take any option

World Cup!

Reply #8
Yo! Seeing there're so many Europeans on HA... can't believe there's no World Cup thread yet

I'm HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY... my fav team (the one with the orange uniform, guess ) just won their 2nd match and is assured to go to the 2nd round!

Yay!!!

Next game against Argentina will probably be one of the best of the 1st round.

World Cup!

Reply #9
England have some really top notch players, but never seem to be able to gel as a team.  I don't know if I'd rather we faced Germany or Equador.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying the whole affair so far.

I'm really amazed by this player Peter Crouch. The guy is a living caricature, unbelievably thin and tall. A local sports reporter named him "El escarbadientes" ("The toothpick"), don't know if you call him that way in England.
Despite the big names (Lampard, Gerrard, Beckham, Rooney, Owen...) toothpick or not, England is still alive mainly because of him.

World Cup!

Reply #10
I'm disappointed that Peter Crouch didn't do his robot dance after scoring against Trinidad & Tobago (or if he did, I missed it).  Now that is worth a watch.

I haven't heard any nicknames for Crouch here (except "Crouchy"), but "The Toothpick" certainly fits well.

For a 6 foot 7 inch player, he actually has suprisingly good ball control, although the obvious benefit is the long ball to Crouch to knock on to Owen.

He does seem to be on form at the moment, but I wouldn't say that I have that much confidence in him.  Now Rooney is looking to come back it's difficult to know whether Sven will play Crouch or Owen with him. Crouch did have various opportunites before the goal on Thursday.  I'd like to see the "new lad" Theo Walcott get a game against Sweden.  Lennon (another new lad) was very influencial when he came on against T&T; I'd like to see more of him as well.

I just hope Rooney can get back to match fitness quickly, and can shine as we all expect him to.  We need some more goals like that from Gerrard, and Lampard needs to get in on the act too; both of them can really strike the ball.  If Beckham can produce from the dead ball as we know he can, and Owen and Rooney can get back their game, then we may be in with a chance.

There is a lot of expectation this year from the fans, as we know we have the talent; unfortunately it just never seems to go right on the day.  If we meet Germany in the next round things will go mental here.  Germany are our nemesis in competitions, and often get to knock us out on pentalies.

On another note, Spain looked good as well.
I'm on a horse.

World Cup!

Reply #11
I'm glad we're definately through already, but our performances have not been good so far.  England have some really top notch players, but never seem to be able to gel as a team.  I don't know if I'd rather we faced Germany or Equador.

Be honest with yourself, you know the answer to that. 

Check out Mrs Crouch!
WorldCupWives
daefeatures.co.uk

World Cup!

Reply #12
Well, the Germany/Equador game will provide the answer, but I really don't know. Equador are top of the table as it stands...

I'd seen those pics before.  I knew what was coming with Mrs Crouch, but the pic still made me laugh.
I'm on a horse.

World Cup!

Reply #13
I'm more interested to see how England perform under pressure, considering the lack lustre performances so far. Some of England's finest performances have been when our backs our up against the wall, we've kicked arse under those circumstances. Bring it on Germany!   
daefeatures.co.uk

World Cup!

Reply #16
Germany has been perfoming really poor ... IMHO

Well, in our first game our defense wasn't that great, but against Ecuador - so far our team kicks ass.
Nothing is impossible if you don't need to do it yourself.

World Cup!

Reply #17
Germany has been perfoming really poor ... IMHO
Well, in our first game our defense wasn't that great, but against Ecuador - so far our team kicks ass.
well Germany had some good moments and also a lot of not so good ones.
but the first half against Ecuador today has really really made up for everything so far, great game. yehhaa.

there has been a very good teamplay at the German side and they actually made some good moves and attacks, contrary to just relaying on standard situations like so often before.
Ecuador was a little passive, almost numb over some time.
Nothing but a Heartache - Since I found my Baby ;)

World Cup!

Reply #18
England 2 - 2 Sweden

Great first half but we went to pieces in the second. We're capable, for sure, but our defensive play from set pieces was far from optimal.

Equador next round. Thank fuck. 
daefeatures.co.uk

World Cup!

Reply #19
Yeah, I was quite happy with the first half performance.

Two very good goals for England; Cole's is one of the best so far in the tournament.  I love the way he knocked it up on his chest first.

The injury to Owen is a shame.  I am keen to see Walcott get a chance though.

Sweden's second goal was horrific to watch.

I think I am glad that we have got Equador, not least for the fact that, if we progress, we are likely to play Holland, rather than Argentina.

I think just I'll worry about the next game for now though!

Edit: We really need Lampard to get on the score sheet as well. He's underperformed so far, considering his high standards.
I'm on a horse.

World Cup!

Reply #20
What happened to Owen looked painful. You could see the shin bone (tibia) slip backwards into the thigh bone (femur). I immediately thought he'd buggered the cruciate ligement but hopefully for Owen that isn't the case (I don't know if the scan has been done yet?). Ouch!

edit: chin bone? 

Also, wouldn't an England - Germany final be awesome?! I shouldn't speak so soon though ... we've a long way to go yet.
daefeatures.co.uk

World Cup!

Reply #21
I can see familiar H.264 artifacts on grass (especially with fast moving camera) on my TV screen!

World Cup is of course great though!
stimulating the audio nerve directly

World Cup!

Reply #22
@yandexx: with all the action on the field and you concentrate on H.264 artifacts???  Gee... you're weird  in a very HydrogenAudio-way kind of weird though

OMG it's Netherlands versus Argentina now! 0-0 first half...

Edit:
Ooo... the Netherlands are defensive... or are they? With their 'total football' strategy it's a bit hard to deduce... but one thing fer sure, the Argentinians are not having a field day like they did against Serbia. Then, their face remains handsome and fresh even after some 6 goals. Now, still no goals for either side, and their strikers are wet with sweat, those long hairs looks floppy and (pardon) silly. And they looked plain exhausted.

Too slow a game. /me no like.

World Cup!

Reply #23
Boy, what a weird injury for Owen, what on earth happened to him?
What a shame, indeed. Sure, no match for his performance on previous worldcup, esp. in infamous game vs Argentina... that was wonderful game, until referee ruined it.
Now, when these guys go pedantic, they really are ruiners of all things good in football, aren't they. Hopefully FIFA finds some sane ones for play-offs.

World Cup!

Reply #24
Netherlands vs. Argentina was a bit disappointing.. I resolved to drink 3 bottles of Dutch beer every time Netherlands scored, but the end result...  It's a pity Robben didn't play.

Can't wait til their match against Portugal
Happiness - The agreeable sensation of contemplating the misery of others.