Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: A new PC for Frank (Read 43561 times) previous topic - next topic

A new PC for Frank

I met Frank in his hometown last week. We had a very nice conversation, talked about this and that, and after a while he made clear to me that he didnt have the chance to do anything about SV 7.5, leave alone SV8.

By asking behind it all, i found out that his PC is completely out of order, and that is one of the reasons why there has been no work on MPC yet. He is too lazy, or maybe even afraid, of the work he had to invest into his old machine to come to a status where he can actually start coding again.

My idea ( i havent asked him if he would accept ) was that we all could start collecting money ( JohnV or somebody else from the mod team could 'host' it for us ) and buy him a new PC. Nothing fancy, something like an AMD XP 2200 or the like, and with a 60 GB HDD, 512 MB DDR RAM and Debian pre-installed ... are 500,- € enough for such a machine i ask ?

Of course, we cant start this before we have asked him for allowance. But before i ask him, i have to be sure we get the necessary money. Dont ask me what we do if we give him the PC and he still doesnt code SV 8, because i honestly have no clue how to go about this then. In any case ... its worth a try IMO, so ....

... i'd donate 50,- €  !

What would you donate, if at all ?

A new PC for Frank

Reply #1
I'd donate $50 too if there will be a SV8 based on Matroska, encompassing the ideas he originally proposed. I know he's a perfectonist and he'll probably do sth. very good with any donations.

I am very grateful for what Frank did for my music enjoyment by MPC. I can even get the hardware components in US (much cheaper) and send it over if that suits him better. CPU, memory and MoBo are very light (say an nForce system) and could easily be shipped. On eBay they're probably half the price of whatever you can find on Europe.
The object of mankind lies in its highest individuals.
One must have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.

A new PC for Frank

Reply #2
Maybe he wants my Pentium II.

Anyway, to keep it on topic... I somehow don't think that buying a new PC will make him work on MusePack. I mean, it is really nice of you guys if you do so, but what if Frank doesn't have any time or simply doesn't want to work on the codec?

A new PC for Frank

Reply #3
I have an  K7N420 PRO MB (new/RMA replacement) with onboard nVidia graphics and sound I would be willing to donate.

Id have to check but I think there is also a brand new 30gb maxtor drive around - if I didnt already give it away.

These may not be up to the specs of what you would like as there are certainly much better and larger available...

BTW, Christian, was any mention of my proposal made?

A new PC for Frank

Reply #4
If it really helps, I'll be donating like (~ $50) with pleasure too 

A new PC for Frank

Reply #5
If Frank likes the idea and comits himself to SV 8, or at least SV 7.5... I'm totally down.

A new PC for Frank

Reply #6
Some nForce2 boards make noise when the CPU/GPU are doing heavy work (I recorded it. It's not my imagination). I'd say VIA KT600 instead. Same weight, more reliable (IMO).

But seriously, ask the guy for permission first, before this thread becomes a mockery of the format and the man (not to mention a flame war).

And if Warhol's a genius, what am I? A speck of lint on the ***** of an alien

A new PC for Frank

Reply #7
Some nForce2 boards make noise when the CPU/GPU are doing heavy work (I recorded it. It's not my imagination). I'd say VIA KT600 instead. Same weight, more reliable (IMO).

Why worry about noise ?  Frank uses his own soundcard anyway...

or do you mean, fan noise?

A new PC for Frank

Reply #8
Maybe I'm just a pessimist, but I don't think this is going to work at all.  You cannot just motivate someone to do something which they do not want to do, sorry it just doesn't work that way.  I understand the intention and it is a nice gesture but it simply will not work.  If you want to do something nice for him with the hope that maybe one day you will see something, ok.  Thats just IMO though.  I just don't want to see people be disappointed thats all.

A new PC for Frank

Reply #9
You cannot just motivate someone to do something which they do not want to do, sorry it just doesn't work that way.

Maybe they want him to feel guilty for not giving the community anything in return for the new PC

A new PC for Frank

Reply #10
Christian, don't say "I would" say "I AM"....make the fund, get a paypal link up.  When I see action, I'll donate my money.

A new PC for Frank

Reply #11
or do you mean, fan noise?)

NumLOCK, it's the actual chipset, and I swear! 2 Gigabyte GA-7N400-V-L motherboards  It's annoying as hell, as I tried to use the built-in Realtek sound chip for doing a quick listening test, and the noise from the motherboard was too annoying.

A new PC for Frank

Reply #12
Seed, I think it's an issue with your board.  I use the Abit NF7-S and it's perfectly fine.

A new PC for Frank

Reply #13
Christian, don't say "I would" say "I AM"....make the fund, get a paypal link up.  When I see action, I'll donate my money.

First, he needs to know if Frank even wants that.

A new PC for Frank

Reply #14
Oh boy... Better make sure you ask him before you get all excited. With all the bitching about lack of progress going on right now, if I were Frank, the last thing I'd do was giving those people an actual justification to bitch by accepting "payment" (I know that's not how it's meant, but let's be honest, it will be seen as such inevitably).
I'm not trying to keep you from donating anything for Frank (he certainly earned it with what he's done so far), but if he's not interested in developing Musepack any further I doubt that he's interested in something that would make him obliged to do just that.

Edit: Roberto beat me to it.
Maybe they want him to feel guilty for not giving the community anything in return for the new PC

This is exactly what I mean.

A new PC for Frank

Reply #15
I will try to stay in-topic, but i simply cannot believe that we are having this discussion!!!
Can't the man afford to buy a few spare parts for his PC ?  is he so poor ?
If yes then we should immediately start donating money to him for his work on mpc maybe to buy also a new car , TV , refrigerator...

Maybe he is just bored to start coding a monster or he is just delaying it indefinitely, people who coded for years tend to fall into those phases, especially when there is not even a spark of the original flame and enthusiasm for a specific project. Worst of all he could feel bad about not getting money in the first place for doing such a hard labour.

Anyway this sounds funny..well.. at least to me, sorry guys but that is just me, please don’t kill me for that.
Dimitris

A new PC for Frank

Reply #16
Christian, why don't you call him up and ask what he thinks about this.

That way we can end the discussion right now or start collecting money.

A new PC for Frank

Reply #17
Christian, why don't you call him up and ask what he thinks about this.

I think he wants to first make sure there are enough people willing to donate. Check his first post.

A new PC for Frank

Reply #18
OK, I'll bite...

How is it that such a gifted programmer can't (or won't) buy a decent PC? Is he unemployed or something? How can a guy this smart not have a better job than me? I just don't understand.

Edit: And yes, I would be willing to help.
flac > schiit modi > schiit magni > hd650

A new PC for Frank

Reply #19
I do not think this is much of a motivation factor. A different idea for motivation:

Several years ago, Rasmus Leerdorf, father of the programming language PHP was getting married. He was affraid that his wife could not understand why he had to spend so much time working for free on PHP. So he asked the PHP community to send him a postcard from their home town and maybe a line or two. He got thousands such postcads and he told how impressed the wife was.

Maybe we should all send Frank a nice postcard?

A new PC for Frank

Reply #20
Is he unemployed or something?

He develops DSPs for Carl Zeiss

A new PC for Frank

Reply #21
Vertigo, this is not my board. Those were 2 boards I assembled for others and used
for a week. There is nothing faulty in the computer.

As for the topic. A general PayPal account should be opened, and if money comes through it, it should go to Frank, regardless of his intentions. This is the only way to show genuine support for a product and to encourage further development. If the developers of Audioscrobbler decided it was acceptable for them to charge for their service, I don't see any reason why Buschmann & Klemm don't deserve some compensation too.

A new PC for Frank

Reply #22
That sounds like a good job to me, but what do I know.
flac > schiit modi > schiit magni > hd650

A new PC for Frank

Reply #23
Is he unemployed or something?

He develops DSPs for Carl Zeiss

Yeah. Some people who have a consuming full time jobs like this actually want to use their free time for something else than computers.
Haven't seen any freetime-projects from Frank recently, so this might be the reason.
Juha Laaksonheimo

A new PC for Frank

Reply #24
I think he wants to first make sure there are enough people willing to donate. Check his first post.

I read his first post. 

I'm sorry but i dislike these kind of "would you .. if he .." type of discussions. I think that most of the times it leads to nowhere. If Frank was asked first if he was helped with a new pc, that would really help the discussion IMHO.

But that's just my way of looking at it.