Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Updated in_mad Winamp MAD MP3 input plugin (Read 301867 times) previous topic - next topic

Updated in_mad Winamp MAD MP3 input plugin

Reply #125
Hmmm, should work in any output mode. Will look into it for you. Anyone else noticed any further bugs?

Cheers,
Craig

Sorry I guess it was just the 08-20-06 build that suffered. Updated now and it seems to work.
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P

Reply #126
No problem, I've noticed something still a bit wrong with it, but I don't have access to my own machine now to rebuild and upload it. Thanks for testing and reporting your bugs, you help is definitely appreciated, my mp3 collection isn't that varied in terms of different file types and tag types! 

Has anyone found any more tag problems?

Reply #127
as for me, old winamp's id3v2 editor was more suitable. can you make a tab for oldstyle editing, like it is already for id3v1 now?

Reply #128
Making the ID3v2 editor more friendly has been on the to-do list, perhaps an option to switch between a basic and advanced editor then would be a good idea. The advanced would be as it is now, and the basic would resemble the winamp editor?

Reply #129
The advanced would be as it is now, and the basic would resemble the winamp editor?
Something like that would be great!  I think just the main tag values (artist, title, comment, etc.) would be enough.  There isn't that much room to put the more unused tags.. the advanced editor is there for those.

Ok, downloaded the latest..

Yes I would like to have the option to disable in_mad for streaming completely.  Because sync errors  occur with a VBR mp3 stream, CBR works perfectly fine.  I haven't played around with the buffer settings much yet, perhaps increasing them could help (I'll try that out later).  I just tested out real quick to see, I had set the buffer to the lowest internet speed settings (too lazy to go look what it was), seemed to improve the sync error problem.

The problem with creating the ID3v2 tag is gone for me, it works just fine now    It still freezes winamp when creating an ape tag though (editing tags when the song is NOT playing).

The live average bitrate display looks great!

I've been using in_mad for mp3 playback fulltime for about a week now with no problems at all. So at the very least the decoder seems to be working wonderfully  very stable.
Vorbis-q0-lowpass99
lame3.93.1-q5-V9-k-nspsytune

Reply #130
I'll have another go at the APE tag problem as I write in the basic editors for ID3v2 and APE tag pages. The disable streaming option will be in the next release    .

Glad that everything else is working ok. It's been suggested that ID3v2 EQU2 frames are recognised and read, and I was thinking about moving some EQ functionality into in_mad, as winamp can make its own EQ implementation the responsibility of the input plugin - was thinking of using Shibatch supereq as a base. This would then enable these tags to be understood and used without the user changing DSP or EQ settings etc. Anyone else have an opinion on this?

Reply #131
I've been using in_mad for mp3 playback fulltime for about a week now with no problems at all. So at the very least the decoder seems to be working wonderfully  very stable.

I shouldn't speak to soon  I ran into this problem before, but forgot about it.
Mono, 22050hz.... plays double speed. No errors are reported by in_mad. The info page reports the proper info.  If I stop, and attempt to play the file again, winamp crashes.
"lame -m m -a --resample 22" should be sufficient to reproduce this.

It's been suggested that ID3v2 EQU2 frames are recognised and read, and I was thinking about moving some EQ functionality into in_mad, as winamp can make its own EQ implementation the responsibility of the input plugin - was thinking of using Shibatch supereq as a base. This would then enable these tags to be understood and used without the user changing DSP or EQ settings etc. Anyone else have an opinion on this?

As long as there is an option to not use it I'll be happy.  Personally I like to use winamp's built in EQ. Then no matter what format (mp3, ogg, etc), they all sound the same with the EQ applied.  But, it would be a cool option to have
Vorbis-q0-lowpass99

Reply #132
It's been suggested that ID3v2 EQU2 frames are recognised and read, and I was thinking about moving some EQ functionality into in_mad, as winamp can make its own EQ implementation the responsibility of the input plugin - was thinking of using Shibatch supereq as a base. This would then enable these tags to be understood and used without the user changing DSP or EQ settings etc. Anyone else have an opinion on this?

I've been looking for months for support for the EQU2 tag, but found nothing. An implementation would make this plugin a KILLER!!

I took a look at the supereq - It looks very promising, and works the way I think an EQ should work (no horrible volume boost).

However I really think it should take a standalone application to apply album-EQ settings, or even an analyzer option to adjust spectral balancing (like VolumeLogic does for instance).

Reply #133
@gameplaya15143, I can't seem to reproduce the problem with 22kHz mono mp3 at any bitrate - what output plugin are you using, and what type of file was played before the problem track? I'll have a look through to see if I can spot a possible problem area.

As for the EQ, I think it'll be suitable for everyone if I do implement a smaller version of Shibatch supereq into in_mad along with reading the EQU2 tags and applying accordingly, and make the ability to integrate the Winamp EQ optional. I'm not sure how to implement the adjustment and EQU2 tag saving - perhaps the analyser idea is a way forward.

Reply #134
I've uploaded another update, hopefully this will have fixed the APE tag writing (and another libid3tag fault linked with it). I have a feeling that linking the APE writing through the libid3tag file structure was probably a bad idea short term, good idea in the long run. The option to disable streaming completely is in too. I've disabled the basic/advanced editor option as its not completed yet, but some code is there. I've done a few more stray fixes while scrolling the code too.

Download from the usual place, and post bugs and comments. As always, all your help is appreciated and needed! 

Reply #135
hell yeah! -- been waiting for this for years!

THANK YOU!:)

Reply #136
Nevermind my little mono problem  it's the kb5.1 output plugin that has issues.  Sorry if I caused you a headache 

Ape tag writing works now... but you forgot to remove your debugging popups  "here"

As for sync errors with vbr streaming, as you suspected, disabling shoutcast title support fixes that problem.
Vorbis-q0-lowpass99

Reply #137
I've uploaded another update.

This contains both advanced and basic ID3v2 + APE tag editors, as well as Equaliser code. It is still a bit of work in progress as EQU2 tag reading has not been implemented yet. The Winamp EQ link code does work however - mainly just to test that the EQ was functioning. The EQ code needs to have 32 bit support added, and possibly make the EQ input buffer share the decoder output buffer, stopping the audible end of 'previous' buffer on skip.

List of things to do now,
1. Write in EQU2 tag reading
2. Look at VBR streaming sync errors
3. Think about EQU2 tag writing
4. Make options dialog clearer (possibly with tooltips)
5. Fix other problems 

Thanks for comments in advance! 

Reply #139
rapid work i should say. and another wish - you told about tooltips. please do, if you can. also translation would be good. if need help - please ask, i can translate into russian.

also i report problem. i've got song with id3v1 and id3v2 tags. both tags are the same but, in mad shows year in id3v1 but not shows in id3v2. checked with tag scanner - both are same... i can send you this song

also another problem. i have song with no filled fields composer, encoder etc, but id3v2 plugin says DATA.

and another problem - if track is in winamp's playlist and view file info is pushed and i see id3v editor - i cant see tags of file in tagscanner. on closing your editor and refreshing tagscanner i see the tag again

Reply #140
also translation would be good. if need help.

Danish here

It's beyond my imagination you already are implementing EQU2  You rule so much

Reply #142
What's causing that few ms of last audio played with the input plugin every time a track is played? I would assume some kind of bufferleak which are not proberly handled maybe in the gapless routines.

It seems to occour every time I enable the EQU2 option, but i've experienced this with other plugins before

Reply #143
Its caused by the internal EQ being active, the supereq DSP plugin and some other DSP plugins have the same effect - it contains an internal buffer that isn't cleared on skip or track change. If I was to just make it clear, playback would no longer be gapless, it'd be dropping huge chunks. Am thinking about making it either use a shared buffer, or try to lessen the effect by adding buffer flushes where neccessary.

Am slowly working on it    Have got to make the EQ a bit more stable first - some stray crashes are happening when you push it.

@hat3k, I'll sort the DATA problem. The year problem is caused by using an obsolete tag as libid3tag calls it - I'll look into that. As for the file locking, I think its best that only one editor can access tags at once.

I'll get round to implementing a string table for language translations for everyone as well. I will need help to translate to other languages than English and French. 

Reply #144
Another thing; is it just me having 24bit problems with gapless files? seems to work sometimes, but not always.

Another edit: To me it looks like it chokes a little on my gapless files (may be my pcutmp3 splitted files again!), it adds a little "chuckle" while it changes track

Reply #145
I'll have a look into that one, has it just developed with the addition of the EQ? I need to do some work to that whole section. Otherwise, can you tell me the length of start and end padding on the songs that are moving between (Can find that in the file info general page with the LAME tag button). I have noticed an problem, but couldn't track it down and thought it could just be me! Along with the EQ, the decode loop needs some attention. I'm planning to do both together as I sort that buffer problem.

Reply #146
I'll have a look into that one, has it just developed with the addition of the EQ? I need to do some work to that whole section. Otherwise, can you tell me the length of start and end padding on the songs that are moving between (Can find that in the file info general page with the LAME tag button). I have noticed an problem, but couldn't track it down and thought it could just be me! Along with the EQ, the decode loop needs some attention. I'm planning to do both together as I sort that buffer problem.

Well i'm just updating regulary and listen to a lot of different mp3's.... currently a mix I just split up myself, which are pretty ruined

It seems to be a problem only with continous play - a buffer (over?)flow??? If i skip to the end of a track, usually I'm not able to reproduce the problem; sometimes it just chuckles, but often it chokes.

Track 11 SP: 2136 EP: 1152
Track 12 SP: 2314 EP: 1272
Track 13 SP: 2184 EP: 1332

Reply #147

Well i'm just updating regulary and listen to a lot of different mp3's.... currently a mix I just split up myself, which are pretty ruined

It seems to be a problem only with continous play - a buffer (over?)flow??? If i skip to the end of a track, usually I'm not able to reproduce the problem; sometimes it just chuckles, but often it chokes.

It looks like my problem was related to my buffer-ahead was too small. Increasing it from 500 ms (default) to 1500 eliminates my problem.

Reply #148
Ah right, so it was caused by output plugin buffer underrun, I'll have to look into making the plugin start decoding a bit quicker.

I'm in the process of preparing a new update, currently I'm working on the EQ with 32 bit support, and some other quality issues involved. EQU2 support is moving along as well, though I'm still undecided about how to edit and write these tags.

Hopefully I'll have the update available in the next few days. 

Reply #149
Ah right, so it was caused by output plugin buffer underrun, I'll have to look into making the plugin start decoding a bit quicker.

I'm in the process of preparing a new update, currently I'm working on the EQ with 32 bit support, and some other quality issues involved. EQU2 support is moving along as well, though I'm still undecided about how to edit and write these tags.

Hopefully I'll have the update available in the next few days. 

Don't digg into it too much - Seemed like my laptop was a little picky that day. But speaking of decoding I tried some DiskWriting comparison - Isn't in_mad insanely slow when it comes to decoding? (I havent tried the original in_mad though) I got something like 3x realtime decoding, while in_mp3 was too fast for my diskcontroller to react on

Sounds cool with the tag support. Did you think of just manual selection on EQ curves incl maybe some user-defined presets? This would be great!