Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Playing 32bit/88.2Khz files and converting them (Read 2517 times) previous topic - next topic

Playing 32bit/88.2Khz files and converting them

I have downloaded some really nice albums in very high resolution, 32 bit / 88.2Khz  Windows Media Lossless files.  I am trying to figure out how to play and convert these files.

Some players will play the files - Foobar, Winows Media Player etc. but they all downsample the output to 16 bit.  Samplitude will import the file and will automatically downsample to 16/88.2 .

So, I would like to hear it as it's original 32 bits.  Or, maybe downsample to 24/88.2 which will still be pretty nice.  I can't find a tool that will do that.

I was trying to transcode the file to Wav, but every transcode I have tried downsamples the file, ususally to 16 bit. 

So I would like to find:

Something that will play a 32 bit file, maybe a pro editing package.

Something that will support a transcode to WAV or other lossless format without downsampling.

Something that will allow me to downsample from 32 to 24 bits (but my files will probably have to be in WAV already).

Any ideas?

Playing 32bit/88.2Khz files and converting them

Reply #1
foobar2000's output format can be set to 24 or 32-bit, but it won't do you any good unless your soundcard supports it.
Besides, it's not like you can hear a difference. It won't sound any better than 44/16.