Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Is flat dither still available? (Read 1005 times) previous topic - next topic

Is flat dither still available?

I like to use foobar2000 at times as an intermediate step in some audio editing as a trusted quality floating point, Replay Gain aware converter and have used it since about v0.5.

I was planning to edit together two purchased lossy tracks (one AAC-LC/m4a, one LAME -V0 MP3 both with track peak > 1.0) and go in one step to a 16-bit dithered (spectrally flat dither) PCM/FLAC file at significantly reduced volume (86.0 dB SPL, -3.0dB pre-amp ReplayGain target).

I guess I'll simply work around it by Converting to 24-bit FLAC to import into Audacity without clipping and if I need to use an old 16-bit-only editor with some occasionally handy features, I'll export from Audacity with flat-spectrum dither to 16-bit.

I really just thought I'd ask if the dither choices of old were still available somewhere wisely hidden or have been completely removed since about v0.8.

Thanks in advance.
Dynamic – the artist formerly known as DickD