Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Audio cable (Read 3871 times) previous topic - next topic

Audio cable

Reply #1
Anything from here should work just fine.

Audio cable

Reply #3
Anything from here should work just fine.

Thanks. As I understand I can buy the cheapest one - I can't tell the difference?

The problem with cheap RCA cables, at least at reasonable lengths, is they tend to break very quickly/easily.  You may want to pay a little more for durability.  Once you get to 25 or 50 feet, you may want to also look for a low capacitance cable, depending on the output impedance of the device providing the signal. 

Audio cable

Reply #4
For short RCA unbalance interconnects, just about any coax cable will do. For long interconnects (lets say 25 feet) you want a coax with a heavy braided shield (for low end-to-end resistance) and reasonably low capacitance.

These are at the sweet spot in price & function.
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/subwoofer/index.htm
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/subwoo...esign-notes.htm
Kevin Graf :: aka Speedskater

Audio cable

Reply #5
I used to use pack in's until I moved to a house which sat next to a guy with a moderately powerful ham rig.  Lots of RF interference there and buying slightly higher quality cables (I believe the brand was Audiostream (not Quest!) which had better shielding and connectors.  That solved my problem more than 20 years ago.  I still use them.  I'd recommend getting a step up cable rather than the bottom of the barrel, but there is no reason whatsoever to pay outrageous prices for interconnects or speaker cables.

Audio cable

Reply #6
I bought a set of cheap cables from Tandy (the late and unlamented UK equivalent of Radio Shack) years ago. They were a disaster - more than half of them lost connection within months due to failing solder connections. And I wasn't exactly moving things around much.

The price equivalent these days appears to me to be so much better made, and the ones I own have (so far) lasted just fine.

Audio cable

Reply #8
Whatever you do, make sure your cables are danceable.

http://www.pearcable.com/sub_products_anjou.htm

Pure gold conductors? WTF?

First, let me assure you that the electrical properties of the conductor in an audio cable have little or no effect on the signal.

But if it did then gold would not be a good choice. Its conductivity is significantly lower than silver or copper, even after those have supposed films of oxide or sulfide on their surfaces.

On top of which, the conductivity of pure gold is lower than many gold alloys, which may also have excellent corrosion properties.

If you really wanted the best of both then you would use gold plated copper, or maybe a gold/silver alloy.

Better yet, buy inexpensive copper cables and invest in gold coins.