Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WavPack Lossy Beta Version (Read 4380 times) previous topic - next topic

WavPack Lossy Beta Version

I have created a beta version of WavPack 3.98 that incorporates a special algorithm that constantly adjusts the quantization noise shaping applied based on the changing spectral characteristics of the signal. It should reduce the audible high-frequency hiss that WavPack lossy adds to some samples. I am not releasing this on the WavPack website (so I can concentrate on WavPack 4.0), but it works well enough that I couldn't just keep it to myself.

The option is available in both lossy modes and at all bitrates (although it is likely to do more at the lower end) and is invoked by adding "-sa" to the command line. It results in about a 50% reduction in encoding speed at the "high" mode (but has no effect on decode speed). The resulting lossy files are playable on any WavPack player, but it cannot create "correction" files in this mode so it is only recommended when a pure lossy file is desired. The version should be identical to the release version in all other functions:

http://www.wavpack.com/wp398b.zip

Thanks to guruboolez who pointed out the first sample that got me going down this path and DickD for his input on noise shaping algorithms. Also, a special thanks to den for his tireless testing and honest evaluations. 

Reply #1
Look forward to testing this and thanks for all your work.

Reply #2
I suppose now I better get off my butt, and get into those listening tests for Roberto! 

Thanks for Wavpack David.  B)

Reply #3
work appreciated