Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Shure M58 Mic not working in Traktor Pro 2 and Pioneer DDJ Ergo (Read 4413 times) previous topic - next topic

Shure M58 Mic not working in Traktor Pro 2 and Pioneer DDJ Ergo

Hey everyone,

I have a mic pluged into the mic port at the back of my DDJ Ergo controller by Pioneer, I have a Shure m58 with the on/off buttons, the mic is turned on, mic volume is up both in the back and on the top panel of the controller yet its not making a peep. is it possible that this mic is not compatible with the ERGO controller and if that is the case, what is a mic that I can buy for cheap that will work?

Reply #1
RTFM:
Problem: Sound of an external device or microphone cannot be output.
Check: Is the [AUX,MIC] selector switch set to the proper position?
Remedy: Set the [AUX,MIC] selector switch to the proper position for the device whose sound is to be output. (page 22)

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ephox/St...tions101811.pdf

Reply #2
RTFM:
Problem: Sound of an external device or microphone cannot be output.
Check: Is the [AUX,MIC] selector switch set to the proper position?
Remedy: Set the [AUX,MIC] selector switch to the proper position for the device whose sound is to be output. (page 22)

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ephox/St...tions101811.pdf

I have tried both AUX/MIC settings, I am using 2 decks.. how should i configure the input/output channels? Are you on facebook? Can you add me so we can chat about this? djactivator@hotmail.com

Reply #3
No idea, don't own any DJ mixing decks. A DJ forum might be a better place to ask. Or contact Pioneer for help.

Reply #4
It should be compatable, but a 1/4" phone connector is unusual for a microphone...  All studio/performance microphones use a low impedance balanced (3-wire) XLR connection.  Studio condenser mics require phantom power, but the SM58 is dynamic, not a condenser.

Maybe you have the wrong adapter (or cable)?  It should be an XLR to TRS (3-terminal) adapter (or cable). 

The SM57/58 has a reputation of being very reliable, so it's unlikely to be the problem.  Do you have another mic cable to try-out?

Cables & connectors (and computers  ) are the least reliable things...

HAve you tried the "Aux" input?  .....Are you getting any analog sound at all?

Are you using the analog output from the controller, or only the computer?

After trying the easy stuff like wiggling wires & connections and playing with switches & controls, the best way to troubleshoot is to swap things around...  Try a different cable.  Try plugging the mic into a different mixer or preamp, try a different microphone, etc.    If you try another microphone, make sure it's a "pro style" mic with an XLR connector, not a "computer mic".

Reply #5
It should be compatable, but a 1/4" phone connector is unusual for a microphone...  All studio/performance microphones use a low impedance balanced (3-wire) XLR connection.  Studio condenser mics require phantom power, but the SM58 is dynamic, not a condenser.

Maybe you have the wrong adapter (or cable)?  It should be an XLR to TRS (3-terminal) adapter (or cable). 

The SM57/58 has a reputation of being very reliable, so it's unlikely to be the problem.  Do you have another mic cable to try-out?

Cables & connectors (and computers  ) are the least reliable things...

HAve you tried the "Aux" input?  .....Are you getting any analog sound at all?

Are you using the analog output from the controller, or only the computer?

After trying the easy stuff like wiggling wires & connections and playing with switches & controls, the best way to troubleshoot is to swap things around...  Try a different cable.  Try plugging the mic into a different mixer or preamp, try a different microphone, etc.    If you try another microphone, make sure it's a "pro style" mic with an XLR connector, not a "computer mic".

Thanks for the tips, i have resolved my issue, seems to be with the Shure M58 mic, i went and bought a cheap nexxgen from the source AKA Radio Shack for like 29.99$ left settings unchanged, plugged it in, works like a charm, maybe its an issue with the Shure M58 mic.. i dunno, but issue is resolved it seems

Reply #6
@DVDDoug: Have you seen the manual? Especially page 8 that shows the connectors
And searching in google images for Shure M58, there's an image showing an XLR to 1/4th connector.

@djactivator: I believe you will need to get support from where you bought this hardware, because the question is more complex than what it would logically be.

Concretely, from the manual I understand that this hardware is both, acting as a soundcard, and acting as a MIDI controller. Concretely, most of the controls including the mic volume on top (not the one next to the connector) send MIDI messages to the program. (and for whatever reason, they thought that adding an AC adapter was too costly, even though it barely works with the current that the USB provides)

I don't know what kind of setup it requires, but it seemed that it was made to be paired with the included software, and that when used with other software, it only acts as a controller.
(It's a bit strange that it includes a driver, that looks more like an in-house ASIO4All than a soundcard driver.. And not compatible with 64bit applications, for whatever reason they found logical... )

If it acts as a soundcard visible from Windows, you should check the windows mixer to see if there is a DDJ Ergo soundcard, and use the mixer (or recording properties) to make it work.
If you're on a Mac, I don't know how the mixer shows the information there.

Edit: Ok, I see you got another mic working. Good thing that at least you have a working solution. I read in the manual that (due to the USB power requirements), it has some constraints on the headphones and microphones it support.  If the problem wasn't the cable (or whatever special of that mic), it might have been the power supply.