Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Weird results when there are dots in filenames  (Read 1791 times) previous topic - next topic

Weird results when there are dots in filenames

Hi everyone from a very newbie.
I try to make cuetools turn my wavs to flacs (or mp3s). But whenever there is a dot in the filename (like in Vol. 3 of 3 for example) it returns dissatisfying results.
I read in your changelog, that 3 dots at the end of a filename/title are now treated correctly. Is there any way to regard the last dot in a filename as the one which parts the filename from the extension and thus read the complete filename (and create new files with full names)?
Problem is, I got roughly 2500 wavs from my cds and lots of them are "Vol."s. By the way: Merle Haggard's "5:01 Blues" doesn't return a correct filename either. Too bad I could leave all those dots and colons and whatever in the filenames, when ripping my cds.
Thanks for any solution or help.

Re: Weird results when there are dots in filenames

Reply #1
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=116264.0
So you have a bunch of WAV files properly named and CUETools is changing the filename when writing to a bunch of FLAC files?
Or you have multiple tracks in one big WAV file plus a CUE file and you're making one big FLAC file plus CUE file that are named incorrectly?
Or you have multiple tracks in one big WAV file plus a CUE file and you're making individual FLAC files for each track and those are named incorrectly?
Are you processing one album at a time or are you trying to do several at a time in a batch?
Do you have examples of what you expected the filename to look like and what was actually written?
What are the Audio Filenames settings on the CUETools tab under settings?
Are you using the Edit Tags setting on the main window?
If you're using an Output path template, what is it?
What other info can you provide step-by-step about what you're doing?

Code: [Select]
: 0x3A (3a)
is a reserved character in Windows.
: 0xEF 0xBC 0x9A (efbc9a)
can be used in a Windows filename
korth

Reply #2
Hi korth,

1st of all, thx for the brillant work your doing here. I learned to appreciate the advantages of cuetools very much.

To answer your question(s):

I ripped all my cds (using EAC) to single folders, containing the .WAV, .cue, .log and Folder.jpg.

Now I use Cuetools as follows:
I check the box for the topfolder, so all subfolders will be included.
Output to (in this case): E:\FLAC Whole Files\%artist%\%album%\%artist% - %album%
Action: Encode (default), Mode: (Embedded with cue) To complete flac files via cuetools
I of course get marvellous Flac Files, even folder.jpg is renamed to %artist% - %album%.jpg.

Best example for the problem is with an artist named "K.T. Oslin"
With her CD titled ''My Roots Are Showing...'' I get folders named
K.T. Oslin
''My Roots Are Showing...''
and the following files:
K.T. Oslin - K.T. Oslin - 'My Roots Are Showing...flac, K.T. Oslin - 'My Roots Are Showing...cue, etc.
I get no JPEG with this CD, though it had a correctly named JPEG.

And with her CD titled This Woman I get
Folder: K.T. Oslin
Subfolder: This Woman
Files: K.T.cue, K.T.flac etc.
Exception: The jpeg was folder.jpgK.T. Oslin - This Woman.jpg and gets correctly transferred to K.T. Oslin - This Woman.jpg

I can already expect those results when I look at the Output-line in Cuetools.
It reads E:\FLAC Whole FIles\K.T. Oslin\This Woman\K.T.flac

So I guess the reasons are the dots (when there are 2 ore more) and of course those " (dunno the term for them, I'm german)

Hope you can help, especially because I don't want to rip all those samplers with "Vol. XX" in their titles again. Or even rename all the files and the corresponding titles in the cue files.

Thx

Reply #3
So you're using a template but left .cue off of the end?
E:\FLAC Whole Files\%artist%\%album%\%artist% - %album%
instead of
E:\FLAC Whole Files\%artist%\%album%\%artist% - %album%.cue

I get no JPEG with this CD, though it had a correctly named JPEG.
Correctly named folder.jpg or something else?
korth

Reply #4
Well, the .cue did the clue. Now (it seems) that all the encoding and transmitting works perfectly right, with the one exception that indeed in the case of the >>>K.T. Oslin - ''My Roots Are Showing...''.jpg<<< I get no JPEG in the destination directory. I do get one, when I rename the source file to folder.jpg.
This should be no problem, guess it's because of those quotation marks (Gosh, I had really forgotten that word). But there are not to many cd titles with quotation marks in them, I guess, so everything seems to be fine now, thanks korth.
So thanks to korth! I hope lots of people told you that this programm is marvellous!

By the way, I just didn't know, that I could put a ".cue" at the end of that input line. And to the colon in "5:01 Blues" -- is there any field in the settings part, where I can order the programm to replace reserved characters with similiar ones?

Reply #5
You may be able to standardize the source album art file names and adjust the list of "pattern match" for the source album art files.
Settings > Advanced tab > Album Art Files
The current version separates patterns using semicolons (no spaces)
folder.jpg;cover.jpg;albumart.jpg;thumbnail.jpg;albumartlarge.jpg;front.jpg;%album%.jpg

So thanks to korth! I hope lots of people told you that this programm is marvellous!
Thank the original developer
@Moitah
the current developer
@Gregory S. Chudov
and collaborator(s) including
@c72578

And to the colon in "5:01 Blues" -- is there any field in the settings part, where I can order the programm to replace reserved characters with similiar ones?
That has been requested but not available at this time.  <<edit: not available

Speaking of requests, I've added a suggestion that the program assume ".cue" is in the template if the user neglects to add the extension.
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=118915.msg980706#post_g14
korth