Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: The Loudness War: Dynamic Range over the years (Read 32150 times) previous topic - next topic

The Loudness War: Dynamic Range over the years

Reply #50
I'm reading "Appetite For Destuction: The Spectacular Crash of the Record Industry in the Digital Age" and it does talk about how the CD Player saved the music industry.  It would be facinating to see the buying patterns against the studio's compressing albums.

The issue I'm seeing in the book is how music studios were so paranoid of being ripped off even with CD's they could not fathom file sharing. They literally were a deer in the headlights. They were so bloated from record sales of music from the 90's to the 2000's, the main people all retired instead of facing file sharing.

Reply #51
I just did a data visualization and a background post here.  It didn't occur to me to see if anyone else had already done this, but the heatmap approach allows a different overview of what's happening by year.

Reply #52
It's interesting that Muslimgauze has an album in the top 10 of the lowest DR albums AND the highest DR albums.

Reply #53
It's interesting that Muslimgauze has an album in the top 10 of the lowest DR albums AND the highest DR albums.
Yeah, he had an obsessive habit of recording everything, and a lot of the time, the mastering is just awful because they're sourced from tapes he probably never thought would see the light of day.  I love Box of Silk and Dogs, but it's a clipping nightmare.

Reply #54
I can't comment on why sales have declined but I wonder if a decline of actual music videos on MTV has had an impact.

I have bought fewer albums last decade, but for me, it mostly is because I don't like most new music.

That being said, the reason I came to this thread -

1993 remaster of Jesus Christ Superstar:

2012 remaster of Jesus Christ Superstar:

Source: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/new-...perstar.290588/