Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Updated News Layout (Read 4802 times) previous topic - next topic

Updated News Layout

I've tweaked the news layout somewhat to make things display a little nicer and to give a little more clarity behind who the news items are from.  I think it also tends to make news items stand out from eachother a little better.  I've also increased the news display count to 15 items instead of just 5.  We seem to be getting quite a few news submissions these days and I felt that a lot of the items were running off of the front page before people would get a chance to read them.  Anyway, hope you guys like it.

We're looking at a few more ways to enhance the site layout atm also.. possibly by adding a nice download and links section again.  I'll keep everyone updated.

Updated News Layout

Reply #1
ONe thing I thought for layout: (just a thought)

on some other forums, under "my controls" or "user cp"  you view subscribed threads in order of "the last day", the "last 2 days" etc.

I was wondering if this would be possible and/or if other people like this?
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Updated News Layout

Reply #2
Personally, I've never used the subscribed threads feature so I'm not really certain.  I'll try to take a look at that though.

Updated News Layout

Reply #3
maybe if people suggested what they like?
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Updated News Layout

Reply #4
I don't really understand exactly what you mean. I like it the way it is though.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Updated News Layout

Reply #5
what I meant was when you go to "my controls"  you have a list of your subsribed threads that have been active in the last 24 hours.  You also have a drop down list that allows you to view thread from the last [insert # of days here]. 

Maybe it wasn't such a good idea, just a suggestion

Updated News Layout

Reply #6
Everything looks great except maybe you should put the name of the poster above avatars instead of the body of a post. It would be clearer that way who posted it.
\"The true method of knowledge is experiment.\" - William Blake

Updated News Layout

Reply #7
Well, I really like the fact that now you can see the last 15 newstopics. Just to be sure I dont miss one

/J
[span style=\'font-family:Arial\'][span style=\'color:red\']Life Sucks Deeply[/span][/span]

Updated News Layout

Reply #8
I like it a lot, but the dashed border is a little distracting. I'd like it more if the text was encompassed in a white background with a border, kind of like the quoted posts/replies are styled. It would make the news item easier to read.

Updated News Layout

Reply #9
When I check the active topics and the # of topics runs over more than one page (as it usually does), I would like to have a link to the next page printed at the bottom of the screen.

Currently, I have to scroll all the way to the top of the page, and then click the underlined 2 under the Active Topics header.

Could you just copy the page-counting widget so it also prints itself below the table of threads? Or is there an even better way to go to the next page that I haven't discovered yet?

Everything looks great except maybe you should put the name of the poster above avatars instead of the body of a post. It would be clearer that way who posted it.

I agree. Although I usually just look at the avatar and know who posted the message, it takes a second for me to figure out who posted if the poster has no avatar, or the avatar is unfamiliar to me.

Updated News Layout

Reply #10
When I check the active topics and the # of topics runs over more than one page (as it usually does), I would like to have a link to the next page printed at the bottom of the screen.

Currently, I have to scroll all the way to the top of the page, and then click the underlined 2 under the Active Topics header.

I couldn't agree more, that also disturbs me. I've gotten used to jumping right to the top of the page with the HOME/POS1 key though.

Three minor issues with the new layout:

1) The width of the column in which the user details are displayed isn't constant:

) It now appears right at the top of the table cell, which looks dodgy.

Anyway, I like it. Thanks Dibrom!

Dominic

Updated News Layout

Reply #11
1) The width of the column in which the user details are displayed isn't constant

This appears to be a resolution problem; at 1024x768, everything lines up fine, but at lower resolutions, the problem in Volcano's screenshot is evident.

Fixing the details column at ~130px wide would fix the bug and make every user details cell large enough even to handle Dibrom's flowery title

Updated News Layout

Reply #12
Thanks for the tip.  I checked down to 1024x768 but forgot to try 800x600 so I didn't realize that the text wasn't aligned properly.  I'll see what I can do, and I'll also take a look at the active topics page.

Updated News Layout

Reply #13
Ok... well, I couldn't actually see the problem Volcano showed in his screenshot (I tried both IE and Mozilla at 800x600), but by looking at the code I could see where the alignment should be off.  Don't know why it didn't show up for me though.  At any rate, I made some changes which should have fixed it.  Also, I believe the fonts for the news user profile should be the same as in the posts now.  Finally, I added the little page links to the bottom of the Active Topics display like SometimesWarrior suggested.

Updated News Layout

Reply #14
1) The width of the column in which the user details are displayed isn't constant

This appears to be a resolution problem; at 1024x768, everything lines up fine, but at lower resolutions, the problem in Volcano's screenshot is evident.

Fixing the details column at ~130px wide would fix the bug and make every user details cell large enough even to handle Dibrom's flowery title

I couldn't see this problem in the browsers I tried (IE6 and Mozilla/Phoenix).  Are you guys using Opera or something else?

Updated News Layout

Reply #15
Uhm... yeah, I forgot to mention I do use Opera - sorry. That screenshot was taken at 1152*864.

Edit: And thanks for fixing the page jump links in Active Topics.

Updated News Layout

Reply #16
I couldn't see this problem in the browsers I tried (IE6 and Mozilla/Phoenix). Are you guys using Opera or something else?

the new news layout is nice and easier to read and understand.

( same problem with ie if you squeeze the resolution, not that iam bothered by that, just reporting -
http://smok3.envy.nu/news_ha.gif - copy/paste 'trick' to hide the refferer will do.)
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Updated News Layout

Reply #17
Hrmm... strange.  I did try different resolutions and resizing the browser window and everything when I was trying to reproduce this I thought.  Anyway, I'll take another look and see what I can do.

EDIT:  Ok, I see it now, even in Mozilla.  I'll see what I can do to fix it.

Updated News Layout

Reply #18
Ok.. it's fixed.