Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [Feature request] Extended tags and slightly different sorting behavior (Read 1166 times) previous topic - next topic

[Feature request] Extended tags and slightly different sorting behavior

Given that I come from foobar2000 on PCs and am obviously spoiled by the awesome range of customization options there, I understand that the two requests / suggestions I'm about to make for the mobile version may simply not be feasible. If so, I apologize in advance!

1) Extended tags: Given that Android players don't seem to work with many tags this might be due to a limitation in the system, but I was wondering if adding a display for extended tags would be possible at all. For instance, I have a number of custom tags I use for my classical music that include "Performer" "Choir" "Orchestra" "Conductor" "Director" etc., and it would be nice to be able to see that information somehow when choosing between two or more versions of the same piece.

2) There's a weird sorting behavior that all Android players seem to replicate, so again, this might be an Android limitation that can't be circumvented: If I have the same album more than once but with different dates, foobar2000 mobile will merge all the files into a single album, which is difficult to work with. For example, in foobar2000 on the PC I would have:

Stravinsky, Igor
    1957 - The Rite of Spring
    1981 - The Rite of Spring
    1983 - The Rite of Spring
    1992 - The Rite of Spring

And since each album has its own node, I can access each album individually without a problem. But in foobar2000 mobile, all four versions are merged in a single album despite the different years, so I get something like this after clicking on the album:

01. The Rite of Spring etc. etc. etc.
02. The Rite of Spring etc. etc. etc.

This makes it very difficult to figure out which tracks I want to actually play (because there's no extended metadata and the album art gets merged into a single cover as well), and it feels a bit clunky to have to select tracks this way. Would there be any way to add by-year sorting to the album/artist option in order to prevent this type of merging, or is it just an unfortunate side effect of using Android?

Thanks for reading and for your time!

Re: [Feature request] Extended tags and slightly different sorting behavior

Reply #1
I think discnumber will work, at least works for me in the case.
Try tag as disc 1
Disc 2 a and so on.

Reply #2
This is great, I would have never thought about that! Thank you so much - I'll add a discnumber tag and see how that goes :-)

Reply #3
OK, so I tried it and that did help in that it separates tracks into separate discs, which makes things considerably less clunky - thanks a lot for that! :-)

Unfortunately, despite the less-clunky track order, the albums are still being merged. To show what I mean, I'm including three attachments. The first two are screenshots of my foobar2000 setup, which show how two recordings of Shostakovich's 5th Symphony have their own separate nodes due to their different dates. In foobar2000 mobile, those same two recordings are merged into a single album with a single cover despite having different dates (the third attachment). I'm wondering if there's a workaround for this as well?