Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Need LAME 3.96.1 in 64 Bit version for windows (Read 10257 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Need LAME 3.96.1 in 64 Bit version for windows

Reply #1
Should work but why 3.96.1 and not the current 3.100? I really don't get this obsession with "old" versions.

Reply #2
Because 3.96.1 version is the best for making V5 V6 vbr quality and cleanest files, with major version i can't reach such "quality" for that "low" bitrate (110~130).

Someone is skilled with mingw64? How can i compile?
I have a mingw32 set-up to compile 32bit, but i can't understand how to use the 64bit version for compile lame...
I need 64bit because i use, also, xrecode 3 and the 32bit seems not work (produce only distortion noise).

Do you want a sample to hear?

Reply #3
Here, i catch some songs in 120~130 range, plus two songs that need more (encoded in abr mode 160kbps with tuned ath parameters) [Moderator Edit: Link Removed per TOS#9 - Clips were longer than 30 seconds]

With upper lame versions, or fhg (from CoolEdit to CS6) at the same bitrate the quality is much lower.

Reply #4
Do you just need the lame.exe? I'll see if I can compile one for you over the weekend.

Reply #6
OK. I'll see what I can do.

Reply #7
I just checked an old drive and have a zip of 3.96.1 that I would've taken from Rarewares. But it's obviously not a 64bit compile. I can always link it up if someone wanted it, but again, original 32bit compile.

Reply #8
If you only need lame.exe then your problem is not related to its bitness.

Reply #9
Rarewares has a link to a modified version that takes its arguments from a text file  (see the readme):

http://www.rarewares.org/files/mp3/lameexe3.96.1_MOD.zip

That version of lame is 15 years old though, and there were improvements afterwards so I probably wouldn't recommend it even if you managed to find some file where it works better.

Reply #10
> Because 3.96.1 version is the best for making V5 V6 vbr quality and cleanest files, with major version i can't reach such "quality" for that "low" bitrate (110~130).

Maybe it's worth reporting as a bug, then? Newer versions aren't supposed to become less efficient.
a fan of AutoEq + Meier Crossfeed

Reply #11
Because 3.96.1 version is the best for making V5 V6 vbr quality and cleanest files, with major version i can't reach such "quality" for that "low" bitrate (110~130).

That borders hitsTOS 8 territory, doesn't it?

Or is it so old we shouldn't even bother?
Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução

Reply #12
You can try 3.100  with --vbr-old to mimmcik 3.96  :

lame -V5 --vbr-old sample-song.wav

Reply #13
When i remember right version 3.96 was really bad on many samples no matter what switches. 3.97 and 3.98 had many enhancements.
The test corpus of guruboolez was of good help back then.
Asking for 3.96 14 years later because of cleaner files must be a joke.
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #14

Those were just my thoughts.
Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução

Reply #15
Here we go: lame-3.96.1-x64.exe

Briefly checked, but I think it's OK.

Reply #16

Those were just my thoughts.

It's not a joke, as long as I could I used the existing 32bit version. I understand that it is strange but on many low bitrate encodings, this version generates clean audio without artifacts. I'm sorry that the link with the sample has been moderated.
Here we go: lame-3.96.1-x64.exe

Briefly checked, but I think it's OK.
Let me try it :) You are my savior!

Reply #17
WORKS with every my programs !!!
Many Many Thx!!!!!

Reply #18
You're very welcome. :)

Reply #19
Do you just need the lame.exe? I'll see if I can compile one for you over the weekend.
hi @john33
might i have the dll (64bit and 32bit) ?
i gave a look at rarewares , but i can't find 3.96.1 and  3.99.5 (both 64bit and 32bit)
i'm looking for the same reason low variable rate and low cbr
i'm looking for both , but i'm  worried to get some virus for windows

thanks john33

ps before xmass , i wanted buy a daw so i download 4 trial audio programs  , all updated and all come with lame 3.99.5 , even the last goldwave come with 3.99.5 , don't know why they prefer and old version

Reply #20
OK, I'm away from home until the new year, I'll have a look after that. Please feel free to remind me if I appear to have forgotten!! ;)

Happy New Year.

Reply #21
OK, I'm away from home until the new year, I'll have a look after that. Please feel free to remind me if I appear to have forgotten!! ;)

Happy New Year.
thanks John
Happy New Year to you John!

Reply #22

Happy New Year.
Hi @john33
i know it's late , i lost this topic
at   i have found  3.99.5 and is 3.96.1  lame-3.96.1-x64.rar   ?
http://www.rarewares.org/files/mp3/
many software don't use the last lame 3.100 , for example the last reaper release  i guess it uses 3.99.5.2.5

thanks John

Reply #23
I'll see what I can do for you.

Reply #24
OK, these include the x64 executable and the dll. They are untested Intel compiles, so if you have a problem with them, please let me know.

www.rarewares.org/files/mp3/lame-3.96.1-x64.rar

and

www.rarewares.org/files/mp3/lame-3.99.5-x64.rar