Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: converting VCR to MP4-Movie (Read 4278 times) previous topic - next topic

converting VCR to MP4-Movie

I've done analog-to-digital conversion for AUDIO: I ran a signal from tape deck into computer (using an RCA-to-minijack cable), which converted it into a digital AIF file (using the Mac's built-in sound) which I edited (using Spark ME) and then compressed into AAC/MP4 files (using QuickTime 6.5 Pro). I'm using an old Mac G4 (400 MHz, AGP) with 448 MB RAM and OS 10.2.6.

Is the process analogous when doing analog-to-digital conversions for VIDEO? If yes,...

What should I do to get a signal from the VCR deck into the computer as a digital file?
In this file, will the audio and video be combined into one file (with L, R, video), as in an AIF or WAV file? What hardware and programs are needed for the digitizing?

What program (free or cheap?) can be used to edit the audio/video file?
(with audio, QuickTime 6 Pro can do some editing of AAC, but it's not good for editing so I rarely use it for this, I only use it to export the AIF into AAC)

What is the best way to compress the edited file?
I have a CD-R burner (but not DVD-R) so how much video time can I get on a 700 MB CD-R, with reasonably good (but not super-good) video quality?

Are there any good web-pages that explain how to do this? Any old forum-threads?

MikeR

Reply #1
You need a video capture card and some sort of software to capture and convert your files. I don't really know about software for MacOs because I'm a Windows n00b myself.
Quick googling returned the following:
http://www.miglia.com/products/video/alchemytvdvr/index.html
http://www.miglia.com/products/video/alchemytv/
http://www.eskapelabs.com/mycapture2.html <- note limited resolution

Reply #2
Also, a 400Mhz G4 might be pushing it for video capture.  While it might be possible, chances are you'll end up dropping frames, and don't even think about on-the-fly compression unless you buy a capture card that does this in hardware.

Reply #3
Kl33per says
a 400Mhz G4 might be pushing it for video capture. While it might be possible, chances are you'll end up dropping frames, and don't even think about on-the-fly compression unless you buy a capture card that does this in hardware.

A page suggested by Latexxx (thanks) says,
"The capture size is fully user selectable, ranging from quarter size to full screen mode, depending on the speed of your processor."
With this capture device, evidently the CPU-speed is important. I was hoping it wouldn't matter for capture, then when I'm compressing I would just set it running and do something else, and if it takes a long time (due to slow CPU) it wouldn't matter. But losing frames would not be good.

You say "unless you buy a capture card that does this in hardware." Would this kind of card be a lot more expensive?

This page also says,
"The MJPEG format is ideal if you wish to perform some basic video editing, like removing the adverts out of a TV program you have recorded. Simply open the recorded file in QuickTime Pro and cut the uneeded footage."

My experience with QuickTime Pro 6, using it to edit AAC files, is that it's not very useful.  With another program (Spark ME) it's easy to "zoom in" and do cut-and-paste at the exact places in the file you want, but QT6 doesn't zoom and in a long file the closest you can get is within 10 seconds, which isn't very precise.  Am I missing a feature of QT6 that would make editing easier? (that would even make it POSSIBLE?) If not, is a good cheap editor available? Would iMovie do it?

I apologize for the newbie questions, but most of this is new to me.

MikeR

Reply #4
Premiere is pretty good for editing but it isn't free. If you'll get yourself a capture card which internally encodes mjpeg, then the processor speed shouldn't be an issue.

If you have a DV-cam, it is a good idea to capture your VHS-tapes first to mini-DV using the camera and then transfer the digitalized video from camera to pc (read mac) using firewire. This method also compresses the video using hardware and your processor speed doesn't matter.