Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Essential Software (Read 361784 times) previous topic - next topic

Essential Software

Reply #125
Hi,

I have read your tips and they are very knowledgable.

I want to set my sound card clock to external permanently. I am using Terratec's Aureon Sky 5.1 sound card. My project requires me to connect Digital Radio to SPDIF input of the sound card for recording. I am using tosslink optical cable to connect to 'input' of the sound card. Using the 'Aureon Control Panel', I set the master clock to external (48000 Hz, 800 samples/buffer and latency=17 msec) and I get the correct data after analyzing the recording.

The problem arises, when the computer reboots (due to any reason) and the clock is automatically set to 'internal' (while the DAB radio is still sending the data). I want my sound card's clock to be set to external automatically after the computer boots.
Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Regards,
Sameer
University of Reading, UK

[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']Quote removed by moderation.[/span]

Essential Software

Reply #126
sameer_87. Do you really need to Quote ALL that text?

Essential Software

Reply #127
alternative pdf reader for win (fast!!!):
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Essential Software

Reply #128
Switched to Mac OS X

Essential Software

Reply #129
EDIT: vim was on the first post. Doh.

Essential Software

Reply #131
Treepad Lite: http://www.treepad.com/treepadfreeware/

For my job I spend all day every day running queries. Queries, queries, queries! Treepad is the the best program I have found for keeping everything where I can find it. If you have a lot of code snippets or just keep a lot of notes check it out. I can't live without it.
--
Eric

Essential Software

Reply #132
[span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%']Unlocker - http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/[/span]

Freeware, doesn't install any adware, or spyware.
A right-click shell add-on for removing locked files.

Supported OS: MS Windows 2000/XP

Allows for the removal of annoying files that Windows states can't be deleted such as:
- Cannot delete file: Access is denied
- There has been a sharing violation.
- The source or destination file may be in use.
- The file is in use by another program or user.
- Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.

Essential Software

Reply #133
[span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%']Microsoft Windows Memory Diagnostic[/span]
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

A freeware boot-time memory disagnostic utility by Microsoft. It can create a bootable floppy disk, or a bootable CD from which it can run from.

Essential Software

Reply #134
Microsoft Windows Memory Diagnostic
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

A freeware boot-time memory disagnostic utility by Microsoft. It can create a bootable floppy disk, or a bootable CD from which it can run from.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hrm... makes me wonder if it is any better than memtest86+
[a href="http://www.memtest.org/]http://www.memtest.org/[/url]

Essential Software

Reply #135
AFAIK memtest86+ tests with cache on only (someone correct me if I'm wrong), while the one from MS can test with cache off too.

Essential Software

Reply #136
AFAIK memtest86+ tests with cache on only (someone correct me if I'm wrong), while the one from MS can test with cache off too.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=338639"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There are uncached tests in memtest86+ too. Just check menu 1.

Essential Software

Reply #137
I use both memory testers, and can't make any statements of which one is better. Although MemTest86 at least has a boat load of information on its website.

Essential Software

Reply #138
[span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%']tinySpell - http://tinyspell.m6.net/[/span]

Freeware, doesn't contain any adware or spyware.
Supported OS: MS Windows
Supported Language: American English

Description taken from the website:
Occasionally you need to check the spelling of words in an application that does not include a spelling checker and you don't want to launch your word processor just for that. This is when tinySpell becomes handy. It is a small utility that allows you to easily and quickly check the spelling of words in any Windows application. tinySpell monitors your typing on the fly and alerts you whenever it detects a misspelled word. It also checks the spelling of every word you copy to the clipboard.
tinySpell installs itself in the system tray for easy access. It comes with an American-English dictionary containing more than 110,000 words.

It also works perfectly fine with web-browsers when posting on forums!

Essential Software

Reply #139
I use both memory testers, and can't make any statements of which one is better. Although MemTest86 at least has a boat load of information on its website.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=338772"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Right. Besides, memtest86 has been around for much longer and has available source code, which allows third parties to scrutinize it and see if the tests are really effective and exhaustive. More trustworthy overall, IMO.

Essential Software

Reply #140
[span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%']WackGet[/span] - http://millweed.com/projects/wackget/
- Supports: MS Windows 98 and above
- Free/Open Source
- Doesn't install any adware or spyware.

Description, taken from the website:
WackGet is a download manager for Windows. It maintains a queue of files and downloads them (using wget) in the order you specify.

WackGet is a minimalist application. It doesn't tax system resources, doesn't require a lot of screen real estate, and doesn't include extraneous features. It's free, ad-free, and is lovingly developed and maintained by the hip people at Millweed.com.

Note that since WackGet doesn't mess up your system registry or do anything weird like that, you can get the zipped version and put the files wherever you want - on a USB keychain or iPod for example - and run it from there.

Essential Software

Reply #141
INDISPENSABLE PROGRAMS FOR THE AUDIOPHILE:

XMplay - IMHO the best player (after using it a few minutes); even better than foobar2k (been using for a few months) or winamp(been using it for years) by far. Lowest CPU usage, dead on accurate playback, completely customizable, good nondistorting equalizer (unlike winamp's noise-creating plugins) and good looking as well. I prefer it for its compatibility with multiple languages. I found out foobar has bugs with multilanguage tags. (korean, chinese, japanese tags/files)
EAC - Undisputedly the best CD ripper.
CDex - Easy to upgrade with codecs from rareware and simple to use for unexperienced users. Connects to web for FreeDB tagging!
mp3tag - The only program you will ever need to tag/rename all those messy audio files!

Miscellaneous programs:
Evilyrics - I like lyrics.
FL Studio 4 - Love trance? Are you a promising new DJ? Then compose your own music with the best application there is.
Hydrogen - Make rhythm and beats. A drum program.
Mplayer - standalone media player. The best.
CCCP - second best with MPC. For seamless playback of anime hahahah.
Daemon Tools - cd emulator.
Tweak UI - I can't live w/o Xmouse.
Autohotkey - Do what u want the way you want it with your keyboard. Limitless app.
Panda Platinum Internet Security 2006 - My personal favorite.
7-zip - Forget all the other file de/compressors.
My listening tools: Sennheiser Open HD570,
                        _ Audio-Technica Inner Ear ATH-CK5

Essential Software

Reply #142
Rendereason, at least two of programs you've mentioned have much too common name to find them easily, you should provide links.

Essential Software

Reply #143
Runfast: just a little kb standalone executable that can make your life with a windows worksation really comfortable.

I is a software for executing programs, just that, try to use it and you won't never touch the start menu again, I'll promise you  .

Essential Software

Reply #145
since i discovered Amarok (amarok.kde.org) i haven't used another audio player. it takes 5 min to get used to, but its powerfull browser/playlist way of managing music is simply not beaten by anything...
of course, most other utils like musepack, lame etc are simply there in linux, no need to go looking for them.

same with lots of utils named here, you either don't need them under linux (spellcheck is build-in in my webbrowser, chat program, mail application and even texteditor; amarok shows lyrics and bandinformation from wikipedia; of course everything tweakUI could ever offer is already included in KDE; one doesn't need deamontools because mounting ISO's is a core capability in unixes; and what could i use a virusscanner for if there are no virusses?) or they mostly are there by default (a default suse 10.0 install offers much more than windows after 1 day of configuring and installing software).

and i wouldn't trust freeware anyway, no way to be sure there is no spy/add ware included. and even if it isn't now, it might be included in the future.
[span style=\'font-family:Arial\'][span style=\'color:red\']Life Sucks Deeply[/span][/span]

Essential Software

Reply #146
Audacity is a very good freeware audio recording app and Hammerhead is a good free drum synth.  I also use Apollo as my audio player quite old and a bit like Foobar but very stable & low mem useage but only plays wav and mp3 files.
:Foobar 2000:
:MPC --standard:
:iRiver H320 Rockboxed:

Essential Software

Reply #147
Audacity is a very good freeware audio recording app.

its open source not freeware.

Essential Software

Reply #149
Bulk Rename Utility is mirrored at
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_desc...id,22983,00.asp
though the author's site was down when I just checked.
This is the kind of little program that awes me because it required such incredible attentition to little details.  I'm very grateful that there are pernickety people making tools like this.
I've not found anything else offering so much control.