Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Radio - noise on audio amplifier (Read 921 times) previous topic - next topic

Radio - noise on audio amplifier

Hello everybody! I was given as a gift an old stationary radio made in Romania. Aesthetic it looks good for its age. I switched it on but it was heard only a noise and very weak sound. Both potentiometers for tone and volume were broken. There is a liniar design and I used one of those that I have for testing the radio. Generally it tunes into stations on LW is weak, decalibrated from the scale, on MW is somehow good, on 49M 1-2 stations and on the other two SW bands just some noise (because I didn't have an external antenna). On old OIRT FM I can tune with good sound a station which broadcasts 3h/day on 69,53 MHz. I made also a test with an FM converter (CCIR->OIRT) and also the sound was good.

Because the radio has a noise on the audio amplifier, I touched some components to see from where it could come. I saw that a transistor T403 was running very hot so I checked the power supply.. Instead of 15V it delivered 21V. I checked the medium power transistor AD155 and the E-C region was in shortcircuit. I used for negative an LM335 and adjusted to 14,9V. Now the driver transistor isn't running hot, but the noise persists. I desoldered any other links towards radio RF board and I let just the audio amplifier. At 0 volume it doesn't make any sound, but while I increase the volume even without any signal it makes a noise as "something was not soldered to the ground". If I touch the chassis, the noise vanishes. I changed for the moment C406 (10uF) and C408 (100uF). The same problem. The amplifier plays well and powerfull, the final transistors don't run hot. I tried to disconnect C405 (100nF) and as long as the noise vanished even in the absence of a potentiometer. I put the potentiometer cursor there and even at maximum (but with lower amplification) there was no noise. What it could be? A problem regarding the area of T401? Maybe the transistor is having too much hFE (beta) and it can pick-up easily any noise? Or because of its high impedance it could pick-up noise easier?

Another question regarding the ground is why some designs have GND soldered at "+" at the power supply, but the audio amplifier is having the ground at "-", while the RF part is linked through the RF coils to GND (+) because of NPN transistors. It couldn't been possible linking the emitors through their resistors at "-" for having the entire device the same rail polarity?