Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Post what Classical/Jazz music you are listening to! (Read 4285 times) previous topic - next topic

Post what Classical/Jazz music you are listening to!

Reply #1
I very recently discovered some of my best jazz in over two decades of listening and preferring that genre to any other.

Albums that are largely duets - Houston Person and Ron Carter, tenor sax and double bass making great music together, consistently well across all their CDs. Well recorded too.

Just between Friends, Now is the time, Something in common and Dialogues. Highly recommended.

Reply #2
Houston Person and Ron Carter, tenor sax and double bass making great music together, consistently well across all their CDs. Well recorded too.

Just between Friends, Now is the time, Something in common and Dialogues. Highly recommended.

Those are indeed fantastic albums. Well, the two of them that I have (Friends, Something), and I assume the other two are as well

That being said, they aren't my absolute favorite jazz albums. Leaving Nina Simone aside, since she probably transcends the genre too thoroughly (The Philips albums are absurdly great), I'd have to agree with the late Smith Dobson and go with the inappropriately named Relaxin' with the Miles Davis Quintet. "I'll play it and tell you what it is later."

With regard to 'classical', I'm always a total sucker for Rouvier & Laredo playing Ravel.
That said, the best classical album ever is Wilhelm Furtwangler conducting Beethoven's Ninth at the Lucerne Festival in 1954.
It is an absolutely transcendent achievement.
No one can touch Furtwangler here; he is floating several centimeters above the ground.
This is why I'm listening to it immediately after I finish listening to Relaxin'

Reply #3
The other three from the Relaxin recording time are also very good too, as is Round about Midnight. Miles is a favourite, but I am currently suffering from a Miles overdose, so he needs to be out of my circulation for a while. Another Miles classic is the sound track to the Louis Malle movie Ascenseur pour l'echafaud. I am not too fond of his later music.

Another excellent album in extended hearing is Clifford Brown with strings. A rare "strings" success that captures the signature Clifford trumpet tone so well.