Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: CDs which are not 16bit, 44khz. (Read 8800 times) previous topic - next topic

CDs which are not 16bit, 44khz.

Normal cd's I have are at 44kHz, 16bit. However, I have a certain cd with 96kHz, 24bit. Would merely changing the "44" to "96" and the "16" to "24" in the command line of EAC achieve the lossless transfer or is it not that simple?

Reply #1
CDs which are not 16bit, 44khz ... are not CDs at all!

I don't know if EAC supports handling of anything but 16bit 44khz Stereo, but at least it won't rip anything else.

dev0
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #2
"a certain cd" ???
flac > schiit modi > schiit magni > hd650

Reply #3
The "certain" CD is Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker conducted by Antal Dorati. A philips label, upon which they write, "96kHz 24-BIT SUPER DIGITAL TRANSFER".

Reply #4
If it plays in any standard CD player, it's 16/44.1.  This label is most likely talking about the recording/processing.  The audio was most likely recorded at 24/96, processed at 24/96, and then downsampled and dithered to 16/44.1 for production.

Reply #5
Your CD is a usual CD 44.1kHz/16 bit. Rip it as usual. It is the original master which is in 96kHz/24bit. That's a part of the advertisement. They claim they're making the most of 44.1kHz/16 bit basically by a proprietary transfer method from 96kHz/24bit.

And checking out the CD cover it's an ADD record. So the first originals is based on an analog Tape (that's where most of the loss probably occured anyway) and then digitized to 96kHz/24bit for the company master and then downsampled for printing on a CD.
The object of mankind lies in its highest individuals.
One must have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.

Reply #6
I found a link

96/24 is indeed printed on the CD cover
However, actual audio is resampled to 44.1/16 no doubt about it

Reply #7
Thanks for the information. Otherwise, with my limited experience, I might have actually thought this was a non-44kHz/16bit CD!

Reply #8
Some Philips CDs which say "24/96" on the cover are actually taken directly from old 44.1kHZ 16-bit masters. The "24/96" text was incorporated into the cover (spine?) of the entire series, even though some of them were not actually mastered this way.

A Hi-Fi magazine asked Philips what they thought they were doing, and Philips replied that the booklets had been printed before they realised the problem, and they couldn't be bothered to re-print them.

btw you can make your own "24/96" CDs of analogue material with any 24/96 sound card. Record at 24/96, resample and dither down to 16/44.1, and burn the result to CD. You can now label this CD "24/96" and amaze your friends.

Cheers,
David.

P.S. not to confuse folks: everything people have said in this thread is 100% true. The audio data on all audio CDs can only be 44.1kHz sampled 16-bit resolution 2-channel (or 4-channel - never used).

Reply #9
btw you can make your own "24/96" CDs of analogue material with any 24/96 sound card. Record at 24/96, resample and dither down to 16/44.1, and burn the result to CD. You can now label this CD "24/96" and amaze your friends.

Just do what Phillips did and print that on the cover regardless. They'll be amazed without any effort on your behalf.
daefeatures.co.uk

Reply #10
Here's a question, does the normal cd standard (red book?)
allow for any non 16/44 sampling formats? I know CDI has
some ADPCM modes.

Reply #11
It is indeed rather amazing that one of the most prestigious and largest labels in the business today is unable to correctly label its media. If it hadn't been for the Hydrogenaudio Forums, I would have been fooled since I wasn't previously aware of the standards of Redbook Audio.

Reply #12
Hmm . . . I always thought that CD's could do 16/48 khz.  I guess maybe it's the same thing w/Tool's Lateralus CD, which I've heard a few times was in 48khz?  I've done some brief googling, but can only find standards as in "most cds are done like this" standards, not what it's capable of doing standards.

Reply #13
everything people have said in this thread is 100% true. The audio data on all audio CDs can only be 44.1kHz sampled 16-bit resolution 2-channel (or 4-channel - never used).

see above

Reply #14
it seems that some classical masters are indeed remastered. for instance, i have a copy of beethoven's 9th symphony on philips classics (leipzig gewandhaus orchestra conducted by kurt masur, originally recorded in 1974). i have two different copies of this recording. the first one is a 1989 cd pressed by philips, made in west germany. the second is a modern release of exactly the same recording "remastered" in 2001. i didn't notice any significant changes in the overall tonal clarity except that the remastered version is much louder than the 1989 copy. that's usually what the "24-bit 96kHz" transfer mean - gimme full power!!
Be healthy, be kind, grow rich and prosper

Reply #15
Hmm . . . I always thought that CD's could do 16/48 khz.

They can, given that the seconds in the reallity you live in are 8.84 % longer than in everyone else's.
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello

Reply #16
i didn't notice any significant changes in the overall tonal clarity except that the remastered version is much louder than the 1989 copy. that's usually what the "24-bit 96kHz" transfer mean - gimme full power!!

No... this just means mastering techniques are evolving over time, and the trend nowadays is towards louder music and clipping. Of course there's more headroom when you manipulate 24-bit audio, but when you downsample it to 16-bit the limit before distortion is still the same.

Reply #17
Just do what Phillips did and print that on the cover regardless. They'll be amazed without any effort on your behalf.

And many of them will swear they can hear a dramatic difference in the sound, too.

Reply #18
Lol. One can convince oneself of this type of thing very easily.

Personally, I know I don't have the ear and/or the practise needed, I don't think I can even tell the difference between 128kbps and lossless most (all?) of the time. Therefore I cannot really convince myself that my lossless archiving has any use as regards "better listening". All it is for is the peace of mind of knowing that my media is safe should disaster ever strike my CDs.

Reply #19
One of the best recordings I have is a DG 24/96 recording and it makes a real difference.

Well if it doesn't it's just a great recording

"4D Audio" they used to call those recordings.

Love,
Fairy

PS- and yes of course they end up being downsampled in the end, but rather that than at the beginning.

Reply #20
I thought 4D recording put the A>D conversion near/in the microphone, and mixed/processed everything digitally?

I have the 4D demo CD - it sounds great, though some of the performances are really very bad! Where tracks fade out, there is no dither - very bad.

Cheers,
David.