Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar2000 can't full play a sonng? (Read 7744 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar2000 can't full play a sonng?

form beta26? or beta27? and beta28, I notice that some songs can't be fully played, and almost at the end, it jump to the next song. These songs have played in winamp and older version foobar(0.667), all things are normal.

when error happens, the console window prompt  sth "clip???" (I can't remember it)

My English is poor.

Reply #1
clipping detected?
Then you have to do:

1. enable advanced limiter in dsp section. move it to the end of the dsp chain
or
2. replaygain all your files

You can also untick "show clipping warnings" in playback preferences if infos about clipping are flooding console.

Reply #2
You may not need to activate Advanced Limiter if you have checked the box 'Use peak info to scale down tracks that still clip after applying replaygain.' (Playback dialog window)

Reply #3
Clipping has nothing to do with track skipping, I suspect your files are MP3s and their header states incorrect length. If they are "Fix MP3 header" context menu function should solve it.

Reply #4
But why has no this problem with foobar20000.7beta22 and before version(include foobar2000 0.667) and Winamp?

Reply #5
This is a problem with corrupted files having wrong headers. Please read the replies you've got.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #6
Winamp for some odd reason has support for broken mp3s, it seems to 'fix' them on-the-fly. I think it's stupid to allow broken mp3s to be played, takes more system resources I would guess.

Reply #7
Not the classic stream corruption, more like bad headers, which other players (not supporting gapless playback) don't really care about.

Reply #8
Yes, "Fix MP3 header" solved this problem, but there is another problem, I have many mp3s with wrong header, I found I have to "fix" them one by one, so annoyed. can I "fix" them at one operation?

Reply #9
I just encountered a similar problem with my new mp3 files!

foobar would not report the correct file length until I manually fixed the header.  Hope it will be possible to fix more than 1 mp3 header at a time soon

Reply #10
I think this is a foobar problem.

EAC thinks my files were ripped at 100%

LAME 3.9.3-1 has no problems.

mp3Trim 1.86 doesn't see a problem

Various other players have no problem.

When only one app reports errors, I suspect that app.

Reply #11

When only small group of people is having a problem, it's usually a problem with their setups.

Reply #12
I see a article talk about "wrong VBR header" sth, it says some mp3s will report wrong header while use new arithmetic about mp3 header while programing.  fix header can solve it, or use new vesion lame to compress the mp3s, I guess this problem is the lame version and the foobar not compatible in arithmetic about mp3 header.

I found "mp3-tag studio" can fix the wrong header in batches. But can foobar2000 include the function "fix the header" automatically while playing?

By the way, my operating system and my foobar2000 setups absolutely has no problem. with foobar0.667 and version before 0.7b22, the mp3s played fine even with wrong header and wrong length.

Reply #13
I don't think this problem happens with any version of LAME exept 3.93.1.  Does anyone else agree with this?

Reply #14

When only small group of people is having a problem, it's usually a problem with their setups.

Always a possibility.

Although I'm happy to hear that I have stumbled upon the perfect app. I can take 0.7 RC 10's opinion of my files as gospel. I'll just ignore the other tools that I have used for a long time when they say there is no problem.

After all, I'm sure LAME and EAC do a terrible job of ripping and encoding. mp3Trim and EncSpot clearly have no idea how to examine an MP3 header.

Thanks for the valuable insight.

Reply #15
I think it would be more interesting if you uploaded one of problematic files so we can examine what causes the error to pop up.

Reply #16
I think it would be more interesting if you uploaded one of problematic files so we can examine what causes the error to pop up.

I can certainly do that.

Frankly I'm baffled. I have let foobar fix the header of some and it is happy then.
The other tools do not report differences in the playtime, length, etc afterwards.

Shall I upload a file here?

Reply #17
Perhaps if I just sent the header?

Reply #18
Do you use some kind of LAME's builtin id3 tag writer ? I think it sets header's file size field to file size including id3 tag (bigger than size of actual data) while foobar2000 expects it to be size of MP3 data without tags; that would explain the error (I think I can add fix for that without getting one of those files then).

Reply #19
Do you use some kind of LAME's builtin id3 tag writer ? I think it sets header's file size field to file size including id3 tag (bigger than size of actual data) while foobar2000 expects it to be size of MP3 data without tags; that would explain the error (I think I can add fix for that without getting one of those files then).

I have EAC set for using an external compressor, LAME.
This is option set I use:
--preset extreme --scale 1%h %s %d

And the options checked are:

Delete WAV
High Quality
Add ID3 tag

I believe that would pass the tag info to LAME and it would write it as you suspect.

Reply #20
Actually that is EACs own tagging. Also since you are using your own command line, you should probably set EAC to "user-defined encoder" (if you havent already done so, otherwise EAC will set extra command line parameters for bitrate etc. which may have undesired effect)

If you want to eliminate EAC you could try ripping to PCM WAV (Copy uncompressed in EAC), then encoding to mp3 manually.

Reply #21
Actually that is EACs own tagging. Also since you are using your own command line, you should probably set EAC to "user-defined encoder" (if you havent already done so, otherwise EAC will set extra command line parameters for bitrate etc. which may have undesired effect)

If you want to eliminate EAC you could try ripping to PCM WAV (Copy uncompressed in EAC), then encoding to mp3 manually.

Extremely sorry for the error.
That is how I have EAC setup, Parameter passing scheme: User defined encoder.

Reply #22
Now so many people talk about this "wrong header" problem,  I am so glad!

I restate that my mp3s with "wrong header(wrong length)" played very well in Foobar0.667 and version before 0.7B22, Winamp too.
So, I suspect it's a problem with new version foobar2000!

How about check the difference between 0.667(or  version before 0.7B22) and 0.7RC  of the program on this part?

Reply #23
That's because other players (including old foobar2000) didn't support gapless mp3 playback, and your files have corrupted gapless playback info, so they can't be played correctly anymore. This is not a bug and will not be changed.

Reply #24
But if you let me chose "gapless" or "full correctly play", I'd rather the later!

"gapless" and "full correctly play", which is the most important?

I'm at a loss of your opinion. I guess many people encounter this problem will not agree with your opinion.

BTW, This is my last post. I don't say any more about this.