Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Multiple artist tag separator (Read 3102 times) previous topic - next topic

Multiple artist tag separator

Windows Media Player uses the sequence \\ to separate multiple artists on a single track, i.e.
Artist1\\Artist2
I believe that there is no standard on this...

When Foobar2000 reads this tag it displays only artist1 in the "Artist" field. Is this a bug, or should I use another seperator?

Any help appreciated

Michael
P.S. mp3tag appears buggy with this, it displays Artist1\\Artist2 in the artist selection box on the left but only Artist1 in the main display

Reply #1
Foobar uses ; as a separator. There is a standard for it, not many programs are splitting those values properly, foobar does.
It's easy to convert them to foobar's format. Rightclick your files that you want to separate artists on, choose properties, rightclick the artist field and split values. You can add // there.

Reply #2
fb2k uses whatever is the standard for each file format on the low level - NUL for ID3v2.4, '/' for ID3v2.3, real multiple values for "Vorbis" comments, etc.
In the user interface, it's either just ", " (when formatted using %artist%, e.g. in a playlist) or ";" in the Properties dialog, when editing.
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.