Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Noob Question - MIDI Output from Foobar to control Fairground Organ (Read 691 times) previous topic - next topic

Noob Question - MIDI Output from Foobar to control Fairground Organ

Hello,

I'm looking for some help with Foobar to see if what I am trying to do is possible. Go gentle on my incompetence and lack of knowledge - as you'll see below I'm more used to technology from the 19th Century! Not sure quite where to post this so if I'm in the wrong place perhaps a mod could move it for me, please?

I am working with a friend on his fairground organ - an instrument used in the 1890s-1940s to play music on fairgrounds operating on pneumatic pressure and punch cards. The organ has had a MIDI player system added which runs from a floppy disk reader. We've had a few issues with the floppy disks and have backed them up onto the PC and are attempting to play the organ via the PC as in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqjny-UPEvU

I'm currently using MIDIPlayer and a USB-MIDI interface which is doing the job but I prefer the interface of Foobar (and the operators of the organ are in advancing years and are not greatly computer literate) and I think Foobar would suit them better. I have downloaded the MIDI player add on ( https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_midi ) and have that running on Foobar which is allowing the MIDI files to play via the PC speakers but I seem unable to select the USB-MIDI interface as an output from Foobar.

I wonder if anyone has done anything similar to this (although I understand not with a fairground organ!) perhaps getting a MIDI instrument to play from Foobar? If it is not possible with Foobar perhaps someone may know of a piece of software that will do the job and has the friendly/easy to use interface of Foobar.

Hope someone will be able to help!

Thanks,

Jim.