Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Can't read BR with external USB Writer (Read 14931 times) previous topic - next topic

Can't read BR with external USB Writer

Hi,

I'm trying to extract the audio from a Blu Ray disc (a live recording) using a Samsung SE-506 external BR writer I bought for that purpose, but I can't even read the film. No software I've used, such as [TOS #9 violation removed] or Windows Media Player gives much info on the error itself. I have Windows 7, so it should all be compatible.

I've ripped CD's and played DVD's successfully, and the disc itself is recognized once inserted, but it just won't play.

Any idea?

Thanks!

Reply #1
One piece of advice: If you see any help about breaking encryption here, then don't reload; before you know it, the reply might be gone and the poster banned.
(That was actually two pieces. You figure out the other. Read the terms of service.)

Reply #2
One piece of advice: If you see any help about breaking encryption here, then don't reload; before you know it, the reply might be gone and the poster banned.
(That was actually two pieces. You figure out the other. Read the terms of service.)

Thanks. I'd only like to understand why I can't even play a BR disc. The audio extraction part is only optional.

Reply #3
Which title is it and have you searched for anyone having any issues with the disc itself?

Reply #4
Which title is it and have you searched for anyone having any issues with the disc itself?

It's a limited edition I had straight from the producer, so (nearly) no one else has it. I guess I'll have to try with another BR disc. But it's supposed to work, right? I mean, copy protection is not supposed to prevent playback from an external BR drive, correct?

Reply #5
I mean, copy protection is not supposed to prevent playback from an external BR drive, correct?
I don't think that's a problem...

Your computer (monitor & video card) also needs to support HDCP.  So, if you have an older computer or VGA monitor, it probably won't play.

Reply #6
It's a limited edition I had straight from the producer, so (nearly) no one else has it. I guess I'll have to try with another BR disc. But it's supposed to work, right? I mean, copy protection is not supposed to prevent playback from an external BR drive, correct?

No but you get various discs for consumer BR players that require firmware updates in order to work. Have you tried the disc in an actual player?

Rather than assuming the drive is at fault I'd look at the disc. If it won't playback on a normal player...well there's your answer.

Reply #7
See my message at post #2 of the thread right below yours in this same sub-forum.

Reply #8
I mean, copy protection is not supposed to prevent playback from an external BR drive, correct?
I don't think that's a problem...

Your computer (monitor & video card) also needs to support HDCP.  So, if you have an older computer or VGA monitor, it probably won't play.

My PC is only two months old, so it would support all of this. However, PowerDVD now gives me a more explicit message that I need an HDMI connection for my monitor as well, which I wasn't aware of. My monitor only has a VGA connection, so I guess I'm screwed.

Reply #9
See my message at post #2 of the thread right below yours in this same sub-forum.

Understood. I don't really mean to discuss extraction, but only to understand why I can't play back a BR disc.

Reply #10
No but you get various discs for consumer BR players that require firmware updates in order to work. Have you tried the disc in an actual player?

Rather than assuming the drive is at fault I'd look at the disc. If it won't playback on a normal player...well there's your answer.

Agreed, that wasn't my assumption. However, both the same drive and another one of the same model failed to play back a different BR Disc on another computer at my retailer's after sales service. It looks like an HDMI connection to the monitor is required (and, therefore, a compatible monitor). Surprisingly, Samsung mentions this nowhere on the package or manual as a system prerequisite for BR disc playback. As if anyone was supposed to know!