Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: adding a silent channel to 4.0 files (Read 159556 times) previous topic - next topic

adding a silent channel to 4.0 files

Some devices, I've found, can play 4.0 files properly, and some can't.   The fix for the latter is to add a silent Center (and/or LFE) channel. 

I know how to add a channel using ,say, Audacity, on a per file basis.  But I've got dozens of 4.0 files in my collection.  Is there any software/workflow that can automatically batch-add a silent channel to them? 

Re: adding a silent channel to 4.0 files

Reply #1
You could use the "remix" function in SoX. Add it to a GUI frontend such as Frontah to process many files in batch.

sox.exe "s4.wav" "s6.wav" remix 1 2 0 0 3 4

Reply #2
thanks, but how do I point Frontah to my flac.exe, sox.exe apps etc?  The 'help' link is DOA , the readme is rudimentary and I don't see anything in setup. 

Reply #3
For Frontah, the de/encoders have to be in a folder from %path% environment variable. IIRC, the SoX Windows installer will add itself to the path. You can probably use another frontend, such as Foobar's file converter, but I've never done that.

Reply #5
For future reference, I'll mention Wave Wizard, which is a standalone win32 tool for channel mapping, among other options, such as merging multiple files and undoing the wave extensible header. A downside of it is that it doesn't support Sonic Foundry Wave64 format (multichannel files can get large), and you have to decompress inputs to WAV manually.

This good old tool has almost been forgotten by the web, I found a link here.

Apparently, the Media Helper requires .NET Framework, and there is no direct link of the actual program, and no description of it.

Reply #6
Music Media Helper is described here