Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: @phong's request - "problematic" Vorbis sample (Read 4520 times) previous topic - next topic

@phong's request - "problematic" Vorbis sample

Right, I've attached a FLAC of a 20-second sample of Annet Louisan's "Das Spiel".

In another topic I stated that I was able to ABX this and a q7 Vorbis encode of it, so Phong kindly asked I upload this as he suspects it might be a problem with Vorbis itself.
I do not know for myself.

The instruments at q7 are perfect to me anyway, the way I could tell was the voice. No artefacts that I could hear, but when listening to both back-to-back you might be able to catch subtle differences in the way the singer sounds.
It's difficult to explain (don't think I have the jargon for this), but it sounds less... pure? or less alive, rather.
That's the main reason I was able to ABX them from one another.
Another (even less important) point was that the Vorbis encode sometimes lost some of the noise that made it a human voice, like how in the source you can hear the tongue movements, but the Vorbis loses some of them.

My encoding was done with libVorbis 1.1.0 and the aotuv b3 patch, and I suspect it might have to do with that??

EDIT: The ABX was done with Foobar2000's plugin.

EDIT #2: I just checked again. At the end of the 2nd second/start of the 3rd one, the word "warst" in "was Du einmal warst" (pronouned sthg like "vas doo I'n mal waars") sounds different. In my Vorbis encode it sounds like she's just eaten joghurt (sp? yoghurt?) 

Reply #1
Well, I was pretty interesting in sample you can ABX at Vorbis Q7, so I tried at Q4 (AoTuVb3 original compile) and I admit I did'n recognize any difference from original. So maybe I'm totally deaf but anyway it seems odd to me 

Just for comparsion I've uploaded two samples which I use for testing encoders. It's impossible for me ABX the first one at Q4 (=transparent), but easy with Q3, so that's why I use Q4 (I use many others too  ) With lame (3.96.1) V4 still easy to ABX, with V2 it's transparent.
So if you or others are interested in testing it too, I would be very interested in yours results / opinions.
Cheers, K.

[attachment=1387:attachment]
[attachment=1388:attachment]
Is there a difference between yes and no?

Reply #2
Well, I was pretty interesting in sample you can ABX at Vorbis Q7, so I tried at Q4 (AoTuVb3 original compile) and I admit I did'n recognize any difference from original. So maybe I'm totally deaf but anyway it seems odd to me  

Just for comparsion I've uploaded two samples which I use for testing encoders. It's impossible for me ABX the first one at Q4 (=transparent), but easy with Q3, so that's why I use Q4 (I use many others too  ) With lame (3.96.1) V4 still easy to ABX, with V2 it's transparent.
So if you or others are interested in testing it too, I would be very interested in yours results / opinions.
Cheers, K.

[attachment=1387:attachment]
[attachment=1388:attachment]
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=281128"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Can't blame you for not telling the difference... maybe I heard this artist far too many times 
I'm not very good when it comes to instrumental sounds unless there is an artefact, but I tried your first sample. Couldn't ABX it at Q4, but could at Q3, just like you.
Don't have time to try with lame, I am at work after all...