Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Classic ReplayGain vs ReplayGain EBU R 128 (Read 3209 times) previous topic - next topic

Classic ReplayGain vs ReplayGain EBU R 128

Hello everybody.

Would someone, please, tell me what the technical difference is between the Classic ReplayGain and the new ReplayGain EBU R 128?

Re: Classic ReplayGain vs ReplayGain EBU R 128

Reply #1
The EBU R128 (ITU-R BS.1770) algorithm for determining loudness is a little different, and from what I understand a little more accurate than the official ReplayGain algorithm. I don't think ReplayGain and EBU R128 are connected as such, but most everyone uses the R128 scanning method now, or will in the future. FB2K has used it for quite a while.

So with everyone determining volume the same way, the differences between the standards are more about the chosen target volume and how to store the data in tags etc (at least in respect to determining the volume of your music collection).

These days, due to the way volume is measured, we have Loudness Units (LU) instead of dB, but they're pretty much interchangeable. One LU = One dB, so where 0dB would be the maximum on an audio player's output meter, and anything below maximum would be minus "something" dB,  now it's minus "something" LU, or LUFS (Loudness Units Full Scale).

The EU standard uses a volume of -23 ( I think it's -24 LUFS in the U.S.). Apparently Amazon, YouTube and Spotify adjust to -14 LUFS,  Apple's SoundCheck adjusts to -16 LUFS for their audio devices,  and for ReplayGain the "target volume" is -18 LUFS.

You've probably seen or heard a target volume of 89dB mentioned for ReplayGain?
It's actually a sound pressure level. There was, or is, a SMPTE standard that went something like:
"pink noise recorded at "X" volume and amplified by a properly calibrated system will produce a sound pressure level of 83dB in the movie theatre". ReplayGain's 89dB was based on that, but in human-peak, 89 dB SPL translates to -18 LUFS on a player's output meter.

Reply #3
There has been some discussion here as to whether it actually is better. It seems genre-dependent.
But that is probably a different question.

Reply #4
Yeah, track and genre dependent for sure, but I think LUFS Integrated is closer to perceived loudness than simple RMS, ReplayGain or the so called "DR" figure, on a whole track. When mastering I get the LUFS I in the ballpark for each track on the album, then fine tune by ear.

Reply #5
To all who dedicated themselves to answering my question, my most sincere thanks!