Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 4.1 encoding (Read 2437 times) previous topic - next topic

4.1 encoding

I am trying to encode a 4.1 96KHz 24bit WAV file (with WaveFormatExTensible LRLfeLsRs) to FLAC 1.2.0a using Foobar 0.9.4.4 (command line: -s -8 - -o %d --channel-map=none). However this fails giving the following error:

Code: [Select]
Error flushing file (Object not found) : file://C:\TEMP\track-01.flac

Other 5.1 24bit 96KHz/48Khz files work fine.

I have tried:

- Using flac 1.2.1b. This does result in a flac file. However this one is not playable. Playback (both with Foobar 0.9.4.4 and 0.9.5b8[) gives errors like reporting a way to long file length (25 minutes instead of 1), seek errors and
Code: [Select]
'Decoding failure at 1:11.765 (Unsupported format or corrupted file):

- Using Foobar 0.9.4.5b8 in stead of 0.9.4.4 to encode. Fails.

- Converting the 4.1 WAV files to 5.1 WAV files (WaveFormatExTensible LRCLfeLsRs) and then convert to FLAC 1.2.0a: Works!

- Using WavPack 4.41: Works!

So I have two questions:
  • Is there something wrong with 4.1 encoding with flac (all versions)?
  • Why is 5.1 encoding broken with flac 1.2.1b, even when decoding using libflac 1.2.x as found in foobar 0.9.5b8?

4.1 encoding

Reply #1
if "flac -t" works on your flac file, the problem is probably in the player.  with that channel order you should not need --channel-map=none, but if you do (i.e. channel mask is not 0x0037 or 0x0607), apps are not required to support non-standard channel orderings.  to know how to map channels they have to be able to parse the WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE_CHANNEL_MASK tag.