Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Wiring record player to car stereo (Read 3895 times) previous topic - next topic

Wiring record player to car stereo

hi, i have a car headunit (JVC KD-SX985) setup in my loungeroom running off a computer power supply, and am intending to hook up my xbox and turntable to it's aux-in.

thing is, the turntable has not only RCA left+right, but also a ground wire that i used to screw into my old amp's 'ground' port.
just wanted to check that it's not gonna damage anything if wire it to one of the PSU's black (ground) wires...anyone know?

also, because the headunit only has one aux-in, i will have to splice the xbox and turntable RCA's into one 3.5mm jack...this should be ok right? (i.e, it wont halve each of their outputs or cause inteference or anything..obviously i know nothing about electronics :)

thanks,
tom.

Reply #1
You'll need a phono preamp for the record player.

Reply #2
Your turntable will likely have a magnetic cartridge.  This means you need a pre-amp to feed it the OP of the turntable into and from the pre-amp you go to the amp.  I'd forget the whole damned thiing myself. 
Nov schmoz kapop.

Reply #3
thanks for that...i got a phono preamp and it works nicley

i have a strange problem now, my xbox output will not work with the aux-in on the head-unit...it works but there a constant loud distortion that sounds like an earth/ground problem, have tried lots of different wiring combinations. it works when plugged into the (straight thru) input on the back of the headunit but not when plugged into the aux-in on the front

i know xbox have been setup in cars... maybe my xbox is just dodgy because everything else (computer, ipod, turntable) works thru the aux-in. anyone got any ideas?

thanks,
tom

Reply #4
hi, i have a car headunit (JVC KD-SX985) setup in my loungeroom running off a computer power supply, and am intending to hook up my xbox and turntable to it's aux-in.

thing is, the turntable has not only RCA left+right, but also a ground wire that i used to screw into my old amp's 'ground' port.
just wanted to check that it's not gonna damage anything if wire it to one of the PSU's black (ground) wires...anyone know?

also, because the headunit only has one aux-in, i will have to splice the xbox and turntable RCA's into one 3.5mm jack...this should be ok right? (i.e, it wont halve each of their outputs or cause inteference or anything..obviously i know nothing about electronics

thanks,
tom.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=321669"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You can't just "splice" two outputs into one input. Outputs tend to have fairly low impedances so connecting two together will cause them to oppose each other at best. At worst, one or other will be damaged. Either connect them separately, as needed or get a switch-box to select the one you want. I'm not surprised you have a distortion problem. If you don't know much about electronics, ask someone who does!