Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Adobe Audition 1.5 AAC/M4A/MP4 support (Read 15597 times) previous topic - next topic

Adobe Audition 1.5 AAC/M4A/MP4 support

I just visited Adobe's Audition site and see that a new version of Adobe Audition Version 1.5 is coming out next month (end of May).I searched on their site for any information about what file formats the new Audition will be supporting, but all I could find were a description of all the other "new features".

Does anyone know if Adobe Audition will come with AAC/MP4/M4A file loading and saving support right out of the box? I would hate to pay an upgrade fee and not get mp4/m4a support.

Also does anyone know if Imagine Technology has stopped development of their AAC Adobe Audition plug-in? It appears they got bought out by another company and the plug-in is no longer offered on their site.

I am hoping some company will come out with a good AAC LC and HE AAC plugin for Adobe Audition/Cool Edit Pro soon. Nero?

I have tried John's compile using the Nero DLL's, but it was a bit buggy and not reliable in encoding. Plus I would like a plug-in with support from a quality company. Once there is a good, quality Adobe Audition solution, many more people will likely start encoding to and using mp4/m4a.

Reply #1
Maybe you should e-mail Adobe to ask about MP4/AAC support?

Reply #2
You can already use the Nero AAC codec in Adobe Audition. The plugin for that is available from http://www.audiocoding.com/
You must have Nero installed for it to work 

Edit: oh, you already know this . buggy? hmm, never noticed

Menno

Reply #3
Yes, unfortunately that plug-in by John doesn't always recognize the settings if you change them. Usually it saves with previously used settings or doesn't save at all. And the bad part it doesn't always tell you exactly which options it is using or else it "lies" and says it using certain bitrate encoding settings and then decides to use different settings of its choosing. Does some really random things from my experience and can't be 100% relied upon.

Why don't you guys at Nero put out a plug-in (should be rather easy basing it on the code John used) along with your Nero AAC DLLs. Or else why don't you license it to Adobe (Nero Digital) so they can include the code (plug-in) in every copy that Adobe sells of Audition. That should be profitable for Ahead.

Imagine Technology doesn't seem to be marketing their plug-in anymore (which only saved AAC files by the way, i..e not in a mp4/m4a wrapper).

@rjamorim: I have contacted Adobe about this, but no good answers. I am looing for a good reliable third party plug-in and was hoping someone knew of one that  supported HE AAC and AAC LC encoding and decoding. Also wanted to know if the new Adobe Audition 1.5 would have any mp4/m4a/aac support. Guess we'll have to wait until someone buys a copy and posts their results here.

Reply #4
Yes, unfortunately that plug-in by John doesn't always recognize the settings if you change them. Usually it saves with previously used settings or doesn't save at all. And the bad part it doesn't always tell you excatly whhich options it is using or it "lies" and uses different settings of its choosing. Does some really random things from my experience and can't be 100% relied upon.

Default settings must be changed in the Nero Preferences, there is no other way.

Why don't you guys at Nero put out a plug-in (should be rather easy basing it on the code John used) along with your Nero AAC DLLs. Or else why don't you license it to Adobe (Nero Digital) so they can include the code (plug-in) in every copy that Adobe sells of Audition.

Thanks for the tip, I'll give Adobe a call and tell them to license it from us right away....

Menno

Reply #5
@menno: So you can't change the options from withing the plug-in options menu that comes up at all? I have to go fire up Nero each time I want to change the bitrate encoding options/setting? That is not really a good solution, otherwise I could just fire up Nero each time I want to encode after I save the file out as a .WAV file using Adobe Audition. Too cumbersome in my opinion.

As many radio pros and audio engineers use Adobe Audition, this is a "must have" option (to have a working HE AAC enabled plug-in for Audition), if anyone wants m4a/mp4 files to become widely accepted.

@menno: Yes, please do call Adobe, or better yet, go see them at their booth at the NAB (if it is still going on in Vegas)... They need to be aware of Nero Digital and its excellent quality. They would be silly to not license your code from inclusion in their Adobe Audition product. I am sure you would give them a "good deal" for several hundred thousand licenses of the plug-in!

Reply #6
@menno: So you can't change the options from withing the plug-in options menu that comes up at all? I have to go fire up Nero each time I want to change the bitrate encoding options/setting? That is not really a good solution, otherwise I could just fire up Nero each time I want to encode after I save the file out as a .WAV file using Adobe Audition. Too cumbersome in my opinion.

I thought you meant the default preferences...
Hmm, about the normal preferences window I don't know, I always use the default preferences I have set 

Menno