Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar2000 randomly loses settings (Read 3997 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar2000 randomly loses settings

Sometimes, I load up Foobar and it looks like it loads up the default settings.  This has happened to me twice.  This happened recently after Diskwriting some songs into OGG and then closing Foobar when it's done.  I can't recall if this was the same situation the first time.  It's rather annoying having to randomly go through and set up everything just the way I like it again . . .

Sometimes I run two instances of Diskwriter so I can convert songs into OGGs and MP3s at the same time.  Could this be causing it?  It does the job successfully, but maybe it has some side affects I'm not aware of.

Reply #1
I confirm this...

I noticed the settings were reseting sometimes (enough though for me to make a foobar.cfg backup every now and then) and I didnt know what triggered this irritating behaviour (I still dont know)

It started happening with the .8betas and is still doing it with .8.1 , using all the components of the special installer , and nothing more ...

Spec:
fb2k 0.8.1 special + foo_columns
winxp sp1

Reply #2
Noted.  I'll be backing up my confg files.

Reply #3
it's still not the best solution  I would like to see it fixed in 0.8.2 *whispering* and I'm sure we are not the only two ones having this problem so it would be nice to see a short "it's happening to me" msg to see the scale of this bug (with of course some specs, to see if its os dependant and blabla)

Reply #4
this happend to me once with one of the 0.8.1 betas, and one more time with the final version.

Fortunately i also use foobar at work so i 'mirror' it every once in a while.

About a week ago i reinstalled foobar, cleaned up my components (got rid of anything redundant, too old... etc.) and pretty much organized everything a little better. I thought it might help... hopefuly  ... but anyhow i've set up a little backup thingie to save my fb2k config, playlists.. etc...

Reply #5
Yup, it's happened to me twice!

I thought I'd switched into 'super-dumb mode' and done something stooopid without realising it - Twice!

I'll be keeping a backup copy of the entire  foobar directory structure from now on to ensure I don't have to rebuild foorbar to look and act the way I've painstakingly set up over the last month or two (I'm a slow learner!).

Regards,

SplittingDistant

Reply #6
This happens to me constantly. If foobar wasn't such an awesome program while it was running, i would've switched back to Winamp by now. It's really really really annoying, but i've come to just accept that i have to keep a copy of my config file and paste that over the erased-to-default one whenever it happens. :/

Um. For more information on this, as far as my experience goes:

+ This started happening on 0.8.0, which is when i really started using it. Whether it happened before this, i don't know. When i first moved to it, it went great for a while, but eventually (after i finally got it set up exactly the way i want it), it started doing this with increasing frequency.

+ As far as i can tell, the problem occurs upon closing foobar. Like, foobar doesn't really crash, per se, but it seems it does something similar when it's closed. It doesn't close cleanly -- it gets glitchy when i click 'Close', as if it was having trouble terminating it. (Like it refreshes the screen really awkwardly instead of just cleanly making foobar 'go away'.) Then, on the next reload, it'll have reverted to the default config file (which is like 15-ish ko in size, i think, compared to the 25-ish my config file is).

+ This doesn't happen every single time, or even every other time, but it almost does. Maybe i can get two or three more reloads out of foobar before it'll lose its settings, but never more than that.

+ The only thing that gets replaced is the config file -- nothing else. All the play lists and history and everything are quite intact. Where foobar gets this default config file, i wouldn't know.

+ 0.8.1 gave absolutely no change at all. The switch did not increase nor decrease the frequency, as near as i can tell.

+ I don't believe foobar is making log files of this. There are some in my directory, but i think they're unrelated. If they're not, they're seemingly randomly created, because if they were created every single time the settings got erased, i would have a lot more crash logs.

Hoping someone can fix this? ;___;

[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']edit:
Also, my specs:

- Windows XP SP1
- foobar2000 special 0.8.1
- foo_audioscrobbler
- foo_mixer
- foo_infobox
- foo_amipwrapper
- foo_shuffle[/span]
~

Reply #7
please remove foo_audioscrobbler and see whether the problem will go away (it should..)
A riddle is a short sword attached to the next 2000 years.

Reply #8
Hmh, any chance this might have to do with foo_audioscrobbler again?

Just as a side note. Posting bug reports while foo_audioscrobbler is installed is near useless, since this component has been known to cause more problems then all other FB2K components alltogether.

Reply #9
Hmmm... not sure, but that may've done the trick. No problems so far, but i'll give it a while.

What about the others in this thread? Do you all have foo_audioscrobbler as well?
~

Reply #10
What about the others in this thread? Do you all have foo_audioscrobbler as well?

Wanna make bets? 
A riddle is a short sword attached to the next 2000 years.

Reply #11
It would make sense... On more than one occasion, while developing my plugins, they caused an exception during shutdown and I lost my settings.  Presumably, the exception upset fb2k's config saving. 

It would be "nice" if fb2k would backup the config, and restore it at startup if the new config wasn't successfully written.  Of course, determining "successfully written" may not be as straightforward as it sounds. 

I realize it's not fb2k's fault if a plugin causes a problem.  Still, it's a bummer to lose your settings.
Santa is very jolly because he knows where all the bad girls live.  - Dennis Miller

Reply #12
Hm... well, that did seem to be helping there for a while. I actually was able to restart foobar like a dozen times in a row without losing settings. However, i just restarted my computer, and loaded foobar back up, and it lost its settings again. foo_audioscrobbler hasn't been loaded since the last time i posted.

So... it seems that while foo_audioscrobbler does compound the problem, it's not the source. Any other ideas? :/
~

Reply #13
Audioscrobbler... I can't get it to work in my Windows ME, so I haven't had an audioscrobbler installed since January, and still my foobar lost the settings last week. I can't totally confirm what's happened, but
* yes, it could have happened at closing foobar.
* the old settings survived in the Windows/Application Data/foobar directory, but foobar started reading the settings in Program Files/foobar directory. (I noticed this from the playlists.)
* the "Use per-user settings" (which, I assume, would tell foobar to use the Windows/Application Data/... settings) doesn't make a difference any more. I can switch it on and off and foobar always reads the playlists from the Program Files/foobar directory now.

I've copied the foobar.cfg from the Windows/Application Data... folder to the Program Files/foobar folder, along with the Playlists subdirectory, and I got my old settings and playlists back this way.

Should I be cautious in case the problem could happen again?

Reply #14
Hmh, any chance this might have to do with foo_audioscrobbler again?

Just as a side note. Posting bug reports while foo_audioscrobbler is installed is near useless, since this component has been known to cause more problems then all other FB2K components alltogether.

I do not use foo_audioscobber and just had this issue occur.

WinXP, 0.8.1, special installer, no additional plugins besides foo_pod (think thats what its called, the one for the ipod).  Basically i restarted, loaded foobar and discovered that all my settings where gone.  Not a huge deal but odd.

Reply #15
I'm resurrecting this thread because this problem just happened to me with the 0.8.2 special install.  I am not using Audioscrobbler.  However, with the new version (or maybe I just have different log settings now) it'll tell me what the problem is.  It'll say that it could not read my config file - which is why it resorts back to using a default config file.