Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLACCL: CUDA-enabled FLAC encoder by Gregory S. Chudov (prev. FlaCuda) (Read 468205 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: FLACCL: CUDA-enabled FLAC encoder by Gregory S. Chudov (prev. FlaCuda)

Reply #500
FlacCL isn't based on libFLAC - it's too different from it to benefit from any recent changes to libFLAC.
CUETools 2.1.6

Reply #501
Good evening and thanks for pointing that out.

How feasible would a WavPackCL be? I mainly use wavpack to compress High-Rez PCM and DSD files.

Reply #502
From what i remember, WavPack (and most other lossless formats) can't benefit from the kind of parallel processing that FlacCL does. Most formats can benefit from parallel encoding of multiple frames or at least files on different CPU cores, but for GPU parallelism you need to parallelize differently - parallel processing of samples or small sample blocks or multiple similar compression methods on the same frame, but algorithms such as WavPack and ALAC have "memory", i.e. encoding of previous samples affects the encoding of the rest of the frame, so i don't see how they can be paralellized for GPU.
CUETools 2.1.6

Reply #503
If a transmutation to the video world and gross simplification (for the sake of better understanding) is acceptable, then basically formats using I-frames only are suited for GPU encoding acceleration whereas those relying on P and B-frames are not.

On a different matter - what command line argument (--opencl-platform) do Intel people use?

Reply #504

i have problem... help

Reply #505
Just with this track or a general problem?
CUETools 2.1.6

Reply #506
Man, that's some fast encoding!  Nice work!

Is there any chance that tag writing will be added to the binary, so that it can be used with EAC?

You already can with metaflac. I gave an example here flacuda.exe & metaflac.exe in EAC
I would like to try CUETools.FLACCL.cmd.exe with EAC in order to get faster encoding times. But, your example has the executables and the options on one line. But that isn't how EAC is configured. The executable is supplied in one config box and the options in another. So, how does one get CUETools.FLACCL.cmd.exe and metaflac.exe configured within EAC?

Reply #507
I just tried to use FLACCL within CueTools 2.1.6 on an embedded flac file, in order to extract the tracks. As soon as I hit GO (no, I didn't collect $200 :-), I got the following error: "Exception: build failed with error code BUILD_PROGRAM_FAILURE"

The card is a GT-240 with driver version 270.61.

Works just fine when set to cuetools.

Reply #508
I would like to try CUETools.FLACCL.cmd.exe with EAC in order to get faster encoding times. But, your example has the executables and the options on one line. But that isn't how EAC is configured. The executable is supplied in one config box and the options in another. So, how does one get CUETools.FLACCL.cmd.exe and metaflac.exe configured within EAC?
Did you try this from a ew posts back? https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,64628.msg932123.html#msg932123
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #509
Unfortunately I didn't see it. But I have now and will be trying it out later today. Time for some sleep. Thanks.

Reply #510
Unfortunately I cannot use FLACCL with EAC. The area where the command line options are entered is too short. With the metaflac option names being so long, a lot of the available space is eaten up with the "--set-tag=" text. With EAC using FLAC to encode, which uses "-T " to set tag content. So, more tags can be entered. No so with metaflac. No idea why metaflac doesn't use the same -T short option name.

Reply #511
Is FLACCL dead? I still use it for ripping CDs in EAC cause it's much faster and has slightly better compression ratio than flac 1.3 with "-8 -e -p" switches. Should I stop using it because it's obsolete?

BTW For using with EAC I changed filename of the encoder from "CUETools.FLACCL.cmd.exe" to something shorter. It still works and I have more characters to use for tags. My settings:
Encoder set to: C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe
Command-line options:
Code: [Select]
/c ""D:\Programs\CT\CL.exe" -11 --lax --verify  %source% -o %dest% && "D:\metaflac.exe" --set-tag="ARTIST=%artist%" --set-tag="TITLE=%title%" --set-tag="ALBUM=%albumtitle%" --set-tag="DATE=%year%" --set-tag="TRACKNUMBER=%tracknr%" --set-tag="GENRE=%genre%" --set-tag="PERFORMER=%albuminterpret%" --set-tag="COMPOSER=%composer%" --set-tag="ALBUMARTIST=%albumartist%" --set-tag="DISCNUMBER=%cdnumber%" --set-tag="TOTALDISCS=%totalcds%" --set-tag="TOTALTRACKS=%numtracks%" %dest%" 

Reply #512
The flacCL codec wasn't changed in a while but still works well. Its compression did not change while official flac and CUETools flake compression improved at some point. You may use the latest compile from CUETools 2.18 with copying over the additional file Newtonsoft.Json.dll
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #513
Lacking the ability to test this myself for the foreseeable future, I’m curious how FLACCL and the latest compile of the “standard” FLAC would compare on the following system

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5950x
GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 XC3

In which ways would they differ? Would there be use cases for both?

Reply #514
3080 has several orders of magnitude more cores than 5950x so even if more simple/slower, together they will be much faster.
But, it takes time to initialize what FLACCL does, so it is slower than FLAC if you encode several minutes long files.
Currently FLACCL makes sense if you encode huge files, or need that extra compression modes and don't care about 100% compatibility.

Reply #515
3080 has several orders of magnitude more cores than 5950x so even if more simple/slower, together they will be much faster.
But, it takes time to initialize what FLACCL does, so it is slower than FLAC if you encode several minutes long files.
Currently FLACCL makes sense if you encode huge files, or need that extra compression modes and don't care about 100% compatibility.

Interesting, thank you. I’ve been in the process of trying to put together a new build (getting parts has been the real challenge) so hopefully I’ll be able to give this a shot myself, sooner or later…