Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLACCL: CUDA-enabled FLAC encoder by Gregory S. Chudov (prev. FlaCuda) (Read 468181 times) previous topic - next topic

FLACCL: CUDA-enabled FLAC encoder by Gregory S. Chudov (prev. FlaCuda)

Reply #300
c:\Downloads\FLACCL_0.4\FLACCL>CUETools.FLACCL.cmd.exe --verify test.wav
FLACCL#0.4, Copyright © 2010 Gregory S. Chudov.
This is free software under the GNU GPLv3+ license; There is NO WARRANTY, to
the extent permitted by law. <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/> for details.
Filename  : test.wav
File Info : 44100kHz; 2 channel; 16 bit; 00:09:40.1600000
Error    : unsupported residual coding

Catalyst 12.1 Preview.

Reply #301
Hey guys, I've been having MD5 signature mismatches with FlacCL on one of my computers with a nVidia GTX 570 card.  A second computer, with a slower GT 430 card, works fine.  Even with the signature mismatches, files (appear) to be fine, but I'm guessing something will be wrong, somewhere.

I wanted to do some troubleshooting on my own so that it doesn't sound like I'm just punting this out there.

Hardware = Core i7 950, nVidia GTX 570, 12GB RAM

Troubleshooting steps:
FlacCL Level 11 - MD5 signature mismatch (4+ attempts, works ~10% of the time) (Speed = 235x)
FlacCL Level 10 - MD5 signature mismatch (Speed = 254x)
FlacCL Level 9 - No problems (try #1) / MD5 signature mismatch (try #2) (Speed = 281x)
FlacCL Level 8 - MD5 signature mismatch (Speed = 325x)
libFlake Level 11 - No problems (2 attempts) (Speed = 31x)
flake Level 12 - No problems (Speed = 13x)

FlacCL Level 11 - separate computer w/older nVidia card - no problems (Speed = 60x)

File sizes don't even match for a full CD, but they are fairly close. (within a few kilobytes)

Next step - Turned Verify on for FlacCL Level 11 (Speed = 136x)
Got an "Exception: validation failed: iFrame=24603, ch=0"  - it will be in a different spot each time.  Sometimes it works.

Next step - Tried Changing DoRice, GroupSize, and TaskSize.  No consistent results.  Worked a few times, failed most of the time.

Next step - Change GPUOnly to False, and changed threads to 4, left Verify On (Speed = 308x)
Haven't gotten this to fail.  I've done 10 encodes of the same CD now.  flac -t works every time.

Next step - GPUOnly back to True, but leave threads at 4. Fails sometimes.  GPUOnly=False seems to be required for it to work for me.

So, how much should I worry about this?  GPU Bad?  Bug in CUETools with this card?  Why would it work when I split the load with the GPU and the CPU?  I've tried multiple nVidia drivers, including the latest.

I have no problems leaving this the way it is, certainly if it works - it's faster than GPU only.  If there is any other debugging information you want me to collect, I'd be happy to do that.

agressiv

Reply #302
I use FlacCl more or less from day 1 on, first with a GTX260 and now a GTX560Ti. I tried to provoke encoding errors with insane overclocking on the GPU and its RAM but couldn´t create a single one with reaching clockspeeds no game would run.
So my guess is you may have another stability problem with your CPU/Mainboard/GPU combination. You may try some stability test overclockers use.
There only were 2 songs i found since Gregory created these GPU encoders that made problems but i don´t remember the exact errorcode back then. These were outright fixed by Gregory a while back.
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #303
c:\CUETools>CUETools.FLACCL.cmd.exe --verify test.wav
Filename  : test.wav
File Info : 44100kHz; 2 channel; 16 bit; 00:09:40.1600000

AMD Catalyst 12.3.

Reply #304
Does this happen on some specific input file, or does it happen on lots of files?
CUETools 2.1.6

Reply #305
c:\CUETools>CUETools.FLACCL.cmd.exe --verify "c:\_Music\Stefano Di Battista - Vo
lare\new\01. Prima Di Partire.wav"
Filename  : c:\_Music\Stefano Di Battista - Volare\new\01. Prima Di Partire.wav
File Info : 44100kHz; 2 channel; 16 bit; 00:05:32.5330000

c:\CUETools>CUETools.FLACCL.cmd.exe --verify "c:\_Music\Stefano Di Battista - Vo
lare\new\02. Blues For Michel.wav"
Filename  : c:\_Music\Stefano Di Battista - Volare\new\02. Blues For Michel.wav
File Info : 44100kHz; 2 channel; 16 bit; 00:03:55.8400000

lare\new\03. Widows Walk.wav"
Filename  : c:\_Music\Stefano Di Battista - Volare\new\03. Widows Walk.wav
File Info : 44100kHz; 2 channel; 16 bit; 00:09:22.0270000

c:\CUETools>flac -t "c:\_Music\Stefano Di Battista - Volare\new\02. Blues For Mi
chel.flac"

flac 1.2.1, Copyright © 2000,2001,2002,2003,2004,2005,2006,2007  Josh Coalson
flac comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  This is free software, and you are
welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.  Type `flac' for details.

02. Blues For Michel.flac: *** Got error code 0:FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_ERROR_STATU
S_LOST_SYNC
02. Blues For Michel.flac: *** Got error code 0:FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_ERROR_STATU
S_LOST_SYNC
S_LOST_SYNC
S_LOST_SYNC
S_LOST_SYNC
S_LOST_SYNC
S_LOST_SYNC
S_LOST_SYNC
S_LOST_SYNC
S_LOST_SYNC
S_LOST_SYNC
S_LOST_SYNC

02. Blues For Michel.flac: ERROR while decoding data
                          state = FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_READ_FRAME

AudioTester:
3 files scanned in 0.12 seconds
---
3 files failed
C:\_Music\Stefano Di Battista - Volare\new\01. Prima Di Partire.flac   (LOST_SYNC @ 0m 00s)
C:\_Music\Stefano Di Battista - Volare\new\02. Blues For Michel.flac   (LOST_SYNC @ 0m 00s)
C:\_Music\Stefano Di Battista - Volare\new\03. Widows Walk.flac   (LOST_SYNC @ 0m 00s)
---
0 files passed

Reply #306
I'm also getting the same error. It happens on pretty much every file I throw at it (although some worked fine, I think), ever since I switched from an NVidia GPU to an ATI one (although I used FlaCuda with the NVidia one, so that's probably not of much help). Oh, and it works just fine if I tell it to encode on the CPU only, instead of the GPU, though, of course, much slower.

Reply #307
Please tell which exactly GPU do you use. And if possible, driver version as well.
CUETools 2.1.6

Reply #308
Right, I meant to include that, but must've forgotten.
It's a PowerColor Radeon HD 6850. The current driver is the latest one, 8.961.0.0, the one that came with the latest release just a few days back. Catalyst 12.4, to be exact.
But it wasn't working with at least 3 previous releases of the drivers as well, if it helps you. Don't know if it worked with earlier releases, as I never tried the earlier ones.

Reply #309
Thanks
CUETools 2.1.6

Reply #310
I am using Radeon HD 5870.

As I mentioned earlier, on my Nvidia ION with the latest Nvidia driver FLACCL doesn't work, too.
But it works with 267.54 driver.

Reply #311
Having the same "Error : unsupported residual coding" in CueTools. Running an ATI 6950 with Catalyst 12.4 and the latest OpenCL SDK

Reply #313
Very interesting. Thanks a lot!

I'm not entirely surprised that SLI configurations and dual chip cards are often slower than single chip, not all algorithms benefit from this, especially without special fine-tuning.

But it's surprising how Kepler seems slower than Fermi. In theory it should have outperformed AMD. I will have to investigate what's going on here.
CUETools 2.1.6

Reply #314
On my PCIe 3.0 configuration SLI with two GTX 680 cards was only 2% slower than encoding with one card inside. The difference between SLI on and off when two cards were in the machine was about 0.1%.

Reply #315
I will have to investigate what's going on here.

I hope your investigation brings us working FLACCL back :-)

Reply #317
Intel® Core™ i7-3770, 8Gb DDRIII-1333, Win7 HP x64

CUETools.FLACCL.cmd.exe -o nul --cpu-threads 8 --opencl-type CPU --opencl-platform "Intel® OpenCL" test.wav

-0 = 1552.67
-1 = 1402.22
-2 = 1308.66
-3 = 808.33
-4 = 645.38
-5 = 460.92
-6 = 654.20
-7 = 482.51
-8 = 278.95
-9 = 322.66
-10 = 186.75
-11 = 132.91

Reply #318
I updated today my ION (notebook) video drivers to the latest NVIDIA version (301.42 x64).
FLACCL test failed again but due to other reasons:
- test 1: only 6 of 9 tracks encoded
- test 2: only 8 of 9 tracks encoded
- audiotester showed 0 errors in encoded tracks in both cases
- cuetools showed every time following error:

flaclib encoded all tracks without any problem.

Reply #319
flaclib = libflac :-)

Reply #320

CUETools.FLACCL.cmd.exe -o nul --cpu-threads 8 --opencl-type CPU --opencl-platform "Intel® OpenCL" test.wav

-0 = 1552.67
-1 = 1402.22
-2 = 1308.66
-3 = 808.33
-4 = 645.38
-5 = 460.92
-6 = 654.20
-7 = 482.51
-8 = 278.95
-9 = 322.66
-10 = 186.75
-11 = 132.91

The speed is so high for real use 

Can You run the same configuration but with  --cpu-threads 1 or gpu only? It will give a rough idea what to expect from mobile CPUs.

Thank You.

Reply #321
Can You run the same configuration but with  --cpu-threads 1 or gpu only? It will give a rough idea what to expect from mobile CPUs.

Actually, it won't. --cpu-threads option's name is probably a bit confusing in case of --opencl-type CPU.
There are two types of threads - actual opencl threads, which run on GPU(s) in case of --opencl-type GPU, and run on CPU(s) in cases of --opencl-type CPU.
Number of those threads is not controlled by --cpu-threads option, which controls the number of threads of second type - control threads, that schedule opencl work.
So i should probably rename --cpu-threads to --control-threads and maybe introduce a new option --cpu-cores, to control number of CPU cores used by opencl tasks in case of --opencl-type CPU.
CUETools 2.1.6

Reply #322

CUETools.FLACCL.cmd.exe -o nul --opencl-type GPU test.wav

-0 = 375.28
-1 = 764.13
-2 = 1038.91
-3 = 314.01
-4 = 345.24
-5 = 303.78
-6 = 346.60
-7 = 304.84
-8 = 177.76
-9 = 120.67
-10 = 85.10
-11 = 66.12

Reply #323
Got gass.cuda.cudaexception on i7-2600k/GTX570 with 304.48 drivers. GTX280 worked fine.

Reply #324
Any update on the "Error : unsupported residual coding" error? Perhaps there are some test builds you'd like us (those who experience the error) to run?