Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: XP behavior with 24 bit 96 kHz output (Read 1880 times) previous topic - next topic

XP behavior with 24 bit 96 kHz output

Hi,

I am attempting to determine if I am actually getting a 24 96 signal through to my Headroom Ultra Desktop amp over USB. The OS is Windows XP SP3, player is iTunes 8.0.2.

Quicktime audio preferences are set to 24 bit 96 kHz output. I do get sound from the DAC, regardless of whether the Quicktime settings are set to 16 bit 44.1 kHz or 24 bit 96 kHz.

I do not know if the Headroom USB input can accept 24/96. It does have 24/192 DACs, and will definitely accept 24/96 over SPDIF. Will kmixer downsample and truncate the itunes 24/96 output if the USB device connected does not support 24/96? Will the OS force QT to output 16/44.1 overriding my settings? Am I actually outputting 24/96 over USB?

I would guess that if I tried feeding 24/96 to a device that does not accept it, I would get no sound at all, but I have no idea what the OS may be doing behind the scenes.

Is there a way to tell what's going on?