Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Replaygain (Read 3247 times) previous topic - next topic

Replaygain

Hi, I've searched the forums to find an answer but got only some vague ideas, the question is whether or not I should apply replaygain to mpc's and mp3's or does fb2k does it automatically?

Thanks.

Replaygain

Reply #1
fb2k allows you to set the option of applying replaygain automatically.  "preferences > playback" and check the boxes you want.
Nov schmoz kapop.

Replaygain

Reply #2
Great, thanks. One more question, I've noticed that when I play mp3's after I played the file I can see the gain value; does that mean that only next time I play it gain will be used? If not, how then does the fb2k calculate album gain (I presume it has to over the whole album first)? Does it matter that I don't use database (maybe it saves data there?)

Thanks.

Replaygain

Reply #3
Great, thanks. One more question, I've noticed that when I play mp3's after I played the file I can see the gain value; does that mean that only next time I play it gain will be used? If not, how then does the fb2k calculate album gain (I presume it has to over the whole album first)? Does it matter that I don't use database (maybe it saves data there?)

Thanks.

it will go in the ApeV2 tags (or vorbis comments) anyway, it will use the gain if you have it specified the replaygain mode in preferences, for album gain you have to select the album and right click>repllaygain>scan album to calculate the album gain. the "use album field" one will auto-detect multiple albums using the metadata field.

if you choose to use album gain in prefs, it will use track gain if no album gain value is present.

Replaygain

Reply #4
Ok, got it; my music files are all read only so the tags weren't saved. For more clarity, for me to enjoy replaygain I'll have to first r-click the whole playlist and calculate (quite lengthy process), correct?

Thanks.

Replaygain

Reply #5
for me to enjoy replaygain I'll have to first r-click the whole playlist and calculate (quite lengthy process), correct?

Thanks.

I don't particular understand what you are getting at, but you only need to scan them once. If they don't have the values written to the tags, then obviously you need to scan them first to use replaygain.

It's not too lengthy here (approx 10 secs per file), since you only have to do it once you might as well leave your computer to scan your entire collection of files, and when you add new files just scan those, the "skip scanning files that already have replaygain info" option makes that easy.

Replaygain

Reply #6
I've learned that scanning lots of files is not a good idea. One night, I set it to scan my entire collection and when I woke up, I realized I had a crash (due to bad mp3 file) and all the files that had been scanned were lost. I don't know if newer versions update with each file completion, but I did this wake back in .4 series or something. I ended up scanning 5-7 albums at a time while I was doing some programming code or something on the computer.

Not a huge deal.

Replaygain

Reply #7
@musicmusic
Many thanks;

Replaygain

Reply #8
I've learned that scanning lots of files is not a good idea. One night, I set it to scan my entire collection and when I woke up, I realized I had a crash (due to bad mp3 file) and all the files that had been scanned were lost.

The mpglib changes (the resync stuff) in 0.42/0.43 took care of things like that, I have one mp3 which is pretty badly corruptted but the replaygain scanned it fine.