Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_logitech_lcd (Read 166249 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_logitech_lcd

Reply #25

Bugs, bugs, bugs! Bah! My shoddy programming skills showing up again!

Ok - I think I have an idea as to what the font thing could be, I'll try and get a test build up for you guys ASAP. Odd though it may sound do either of you have a printer installed? (If the answer is no then actually installing one might fix it! Though I hope to have a proper fix for it soon).

As for the performance, I was aware that with gradients enabled it would be much slower I had not realised just how much slower! That's certainly a lot of CPU for not much eye candy. I had planned to do some optimisation sometime (so far most things are about as inefficient as they can get), but sounds like I need to do a lot and soon. That's fine though, I like optimising!

Watch this space - new bug fix build(s) coming soon...

foo_logitech_lcd

Reply #26
Attempted fix of the Font issue: Removed - proper version now available

Let me know if it works. If it does not work then the console should now show an error message which would be useful to know.

foo_logitech_lcd

Reply #27
Thanx for the quick fix but I think its still not right
I can open the fonts menu and select one now, but then I just get a black screen. (before I saw the song info)

So now I can see the visualisations but no song info, even the progress bar disappears.
And also no errors in the console.

(I don't have a printer on my PC but I have a Microsoft XPS document writer printer installed, not sure what is is though )

foo_logitech_lcd

Reply #28
One bug down, one more to go

First thing to do is to check the font colour - it may have changed, which would affect all the items on that page. Even if it has not changed, try setting it to a different colour and see if that makes a difference.

Seems I really need to get an install of XP or Vista so I can test this component on a different OS.

foo_logitech_lcd

Reply #29
oh I am so stupid  It changed to color to black. And black text on a black blackground isn't very easy to see
Now I changed the color and it works!

Sorry for the misunderstandings

foo_logitech_lcd

Reply #30
lol - np - just glad it works.

That just leaves the performance issues now... (sadly they will take a bit longer to fix)

foo_logitech_lcd

Reply #31
I installed the component; it runs in foobar and i can modify the settings, but there is no change in my LCD or the LCD manager program. Somehow the program just isn't 'communicating' with the LCD program. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if it's a bug.

I'm using 0.9.5.6, XP SP3 x86, Z10 with latest drivers, i have the C++ package. I previously used foo_g15 but i removed that and the settings before trying this plugin.

foo_logitech_lcd

Reply #32
That's not so good!

Hmmm sounds a little odd. I take it that foo_g15lcd did work?

Can you check the console for me? (View -> Console) If you start foobar then open the console immediately there may be errors from the component there which would help me work out what is going wrong. Just post/pm me all the text from the console and I'll see if there is anything that can explain what is happening.

In the mean time you might want to try the latest version of foobar (if you can) - I doubt it will help, but you never know.

foo_logitech_lcd

Reply #33
Hey ectotropic,

Really nice work. You actually went ahead and did many of the things I wanted to do with foo_g15lcd.

How did you break this down in source? You mentioned GDI+, so I was wondering if this used one of the .NET wrappers for the Logitech stuff.

foo_logitech_lcd

Reply #34
Thanks!

I'm not totally sure what it is you want to know, but I'll try my best to provide an answer!

The component is completely written in (unmanaged) C++, using the logitech SDK with a little ATL/WTL and some boost but mostly GDI and other low level Windows API stuff. No .Net, no MFC - all done the hard way  However the version I'm working on ditches GDI in favour of OpenGL which speeds things up immensely and provides many new possibilities for future visualisations.

The mention of GDI+ is due to the (new) logitech "EZ LCD" SDK which depends on it - the "EZ LCD" stuff is quite a big departure from the previous SDK way of doing things (not necessarily in a good way). TBH I'd rather not depend on GDI+ (for many reasons) and I'm slowly moving towards dropping the "EZ LCD" SDK completely - instead using the low level API directly. As it stands only the text output makes any real use of the SDK, all the graphics stuff effectively bypasses it. However, rewriting the text handling is a pretty big job so it's not something I expect done soon (though it is required for some other functionality I'd like to add).

As mentioned in the readme I do intend to release the source code at some stage, but it will likely only be once the code has become more stable (i.e. when most the functionality I want to add is there) - plus it's a real mess right now

Does that help/make sense?

foo_logitech_lcd

Reply #35
Yep, makes total sense (and answered my question).

foo_logitech_lcd

Reply #36
New version available which should address the performance issues that were showing up before, also adds preliminary support for album art on colour displays (somewhat limited as it stands - note that like track info it requires a track change to pick up any edits made).

razor99 (or anyone with a colour LCD) can you let me know if you still see CPU usage levels as high as they were before?

foo_logitech_lcd

Reply #37
I tried it and the performance is indeed better now
It's around 8% CPU for foobar2000.exe with gradient, and the same when the 2 colours are equal.

So I think it improved for gradient but got worse for equal colors. (Not sure though) But equal colors isn't that important because gradient is much cooler (H)
I tested on StarBurst.

foo_logitech_lcd

Reply #38
Thanks for the help - much appreciated.

That roughly corresponds to the numbers I was getting using the emulator, so looks like it is pretty accurate - I had been hoping it was a bit more expensive to use the emulator, guess not. Oh well.

Still - least it's below 10% now!  Plus, now it's using OpenGL I think there's a lot I can do to speed it up more (just take a while).

foo_logitech_lcd

Reply #39
I downloaded this and put the .dll in the components-folder and then I restarted foobar2000 and this popped up...

"Failed to load DLL: foo_logitech_lcd.dll
Reason: The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Check the log for more information."

Anyone who knows how I can get it to work?
I've got an Logitech G19 and I use Vista x64 and foobar2000 0.9.6.8, if that helps.

Thanks in advance!

foo_logitech_lcd

Reply #40
I downloaded this and put the .dll in the components-folder and then I restarted foobar2000 and this popped up...

"Failed to load DLL: foo_logitech_lcd.dll
Reason: The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Check the log for more information."

Anyone who knows how I can get it to work?
I've got an Logitech G19 and I use Vista x64 and foobar2000 0.9.6.8, if that helps.

Thanks in advance!

If it fails to run, then you might also need:

* Visual Studio 2008 dlls
    * Latest Logitech drivers – available here (To install these drivers on Windows 7 it may be necessary to run the *installer* in Windows Vista compatibility mode)

foo_logitech_lcd

Reply #41
Willardjuice: I've already installed that one...

Odd, I installed VisualC++ 2008 SP1 Redist for x64 to begin with... and I didn't work, after that I installed the same redist for x86 and now it works...

foo_logitech_lcd

Reply #42
Not odd, the needed CRT runtime architecture depends on the application (hence x86, foobar2000 is a 32-bit application), not OS (x64).
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

foo_logitech_lcd

Reply #43
I installed the component; it runs in foobar and i can modify the settings, but there is no change in my LCD or the LCD manager program. Somehow the program just isn't 'communicating' with the LCD program. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if it's a bug.

I've got the same problem running Vista64 SP2. The console says:

foo_logitech_lcd: Failed to initialise LCD EzLCD object [HRESULT: -2147467259]. Plugin will be unavailable.
foo_logitech_lcd: Could not initialise LCD, plugin will not be available.

foo_logitech_lcd

Reply #44

That error originates in the Logitech EZ LCD Wrapper (i.e. not my code) - and means that for some reason the wrapper was not able to initialise. Sadly the error code is somewhat generic meaning I can't actually tell what's causing the problem. However it might help if you could answer the following questions:

Have you got the latest drivers installed? (See first post - right clicking on the tray icon and selecting "About" should show v3.02 or later) Did they install correctly (no errors)? 
Did you have foo_g15lcd installed? Did you remove it properly?
Does other LCD enabled software work? Does/did foo_g15lcd work?
What version of foobar are you using and what LCD product do you have?
Finally is your Vista user account an administator/power user account? (It may not be relevant, but I got a feeling it might be)

FWIW: Normally I'd probably give you a debug DLL to try (it displays more information) but due to updates in the works, that's not possible right now, however the next version (which will be done sometime in the coming week) will remove the wrapper from the plugin which may help matters, even if not I've overhauled the error checking system which might give some more pointers, but that's not going to provide an immediate fix.

foo_logitech_lcd

Reply #45
Thank you for the answer, I discovered that I actually didn't have the latest version of Logitech's software despite it's auto update telling me so...    I manually updated to the latest version and now it works 

Thanks for a great plugin and sorry to bother you for nothing 

foo_logitech_lcd

Reply #46
lol

np

Just glad you got it working in the end! Any more problems/comments/suggestions just give me a shout!

foo_logitech_lcd

Reply #47
Hey, I've waited since my G19 got shipped for this plugin - you're some kind of god for me now  ...

Would it be possible to extract the album art out of the ID3-Tag and use it as BG?

And another idea: It'd be nice if I could see which track's playing right now while displaying the visualisations, too.

~Chris

foo_logitech_lcd

Reply #48
Flattery will get you everywhere

Both ideas are things I want to do - but are more difficult than they might appear.

Might take a little while but I'm certainly going to give them a go

foo_logitech_lcd

Reply #49
Hi,

Just wanted to thank you for this very nice plug-in, working like a charm on my old G15. 

Keep up the great work ! 

P.S. : i found a bug , i've downloaded v0.2.6 but in the components panel of foobar's preferences, it says v 0.2.5 .....