Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Fadein/outs on MP3 without re-encoding... (Read 5919 times) previous topic - next topic

Fadein/outs on MP3 without re-encoding...

I just have a couple of incomplete mp3s, i believe some fade-in and fade-out would make the problem a little less noticeable, but i dont wanna loose quality by transcoding, to wav and to mp3 again. I heard mp3direct cut can do it, but is there a better program?? like with graphs, frames and stuff...

Reply #1
For me mp3trim can do that job fine, but haven't got graphs, only have a cue preview.-
MPC: --quality 10 --xlevel (v. 1.15s) (archive/transcoding)
MP3:  LAME 3.96.1 --preset standard (daily listening/portable)

Reply #2
Cool Edit Pro
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

Reply #4
thnx for your input, i already knew cool edit pro needs transcoding... anyway i tried mp3 trim and worked gr8, just looked at the graph on nero audio editor and transfer the timings, thnx a lot

Reply #5
i heard that it's possible with wavlab by a plugin but i never tested it myself.

Reply #6
damn, not so gr8 after all... i have a song almost 10min long and mp3trim wont load it since its too big... and editpro would be so much overkill because the demo wont load more than 1000 frames (what a crap way to cripple stuff)

ill try to search for that wavelab plugin...

:edit: wtf, wavelab is crippled too!!! damn!!

Reply #7
:edit: wtf, wavelab is crippled too!!! damn!!

Haha.Welcome to capitalism.

What plugin is that? Did someone find it? I would be very grateful if someone could point me in it's direction.

All I know is that Wavelab's native MP3 plugin requires a full decode-edit-encode cycle.

Reply #8
This brings up something I've always wondered about.
You can import mp3 files into Audacity, no matter what size they are,
and trim, fade-in/fade-out, edit, etc...then export out as mp3.
So lets say you import  an mp3 file that's 192kbps, edit it, then export out @ 192kbps.
Are you loosing quality by doing this, and if so is it noticable?

Reply #9
if it takes like a minute or soo, it would sound like transcoding to me, which isnt the purpose...

man i need a free app!!!

i wont buy a program just for one song for gods sake!!

hmmm, ive come up with this idea, what if i use mp3 trim and cut the song in 2 pieces, then modify each and rejoin them...

How does it sound?? anybody willing to do some kind of specific guide on it??? and of course, i dont want a gap in the middle of the song heheheh

:edit: hey, would triming the file mess it up in any kind if it has tags?? i only use id3v1 on all my mp3s, but i just want to be sure, maybe ill trim all my files and save up some mbs... is there als a way to do a batch on this??? man doing it manualy would be a little pain in the ass...

Reply #10
Sorry - late to the thread, but I have the answer.

Mp3 Frame Editor is restricted to 50 saves before registration (I've only needed it about 6 times so far), but it's done great for fading and trimming without a decode-encode cycle - it just changes the gain value on each frame or granule of the MP3 file (like MP3Gain does) without affecting quality.

Intrinsically, fades will be logarithmic. You only get a slight indication of the loudness of the file from the display, but in conjunction with the track time readout on your player you should be able work out from which time to which other time you need to apply the fade and make the cuts. It's not the best user interface, but it does the job well and preserves the all-important quality. It also works properly with Lame --alt-preset standard VBR files.

Reply #11
thnx a lot dick, ill hive it a try and post results l8r

Reply #12
I'm using MP3 Trim to do exactly what you described. It has the ability to vary the fade. It's available on download.com

Reply #13
yeah but it wont support long songs...

thnx a lot dickd, i tried the program and works swell... thnx a lot

Reply #14
MP3 Direct Cut can fade, cut, split and you can listen to the changes you made before saving; it can restore the fade applied also after you saved the file (without any loss of quality)
And is free!
http://www.rz.uni-frankfurt.de/~pesch
[ Commodore 64 Forever...! ]

Reply #15
Actually, I've just tried mp3DirectCut, as recommended by ogeuser, and it's excellent - for most purposes far easier to use than my previous recommendation, mp3FrameEditor - and it's not a trial version limited to 50 uses.

It also has functionality that I hadn't seen - including visualisation of the "gain" info on each frame and lets you prelisten to the selection you're about to cut.

I recommend downloading it, the mpglib.dll to allow playback, and the example file (Apollo 11 radio traffic) which is an example of how you can cut out silences, adjust gain and fade out in a single integrated project, then make it spit out the edited mp3 file with no transcoding necessary.

I think mp3FrameEditor has histograms of bitrate and stereo usage, but that's about all it can do that mp3DirectCut can't, and frankly I have that same stuff in EncSpot or lamex.

I'm a convert and mp3DirectCut is the one for me (except I'm mostly encoding MPC these days, but I can usually edit the source WAV before encoding if I'm making my own)

DickD

Reply #16
have you thought about just using the Fading option in Winamp under the Output options?>

just a suggestion...........

-ty1er

Reply #17
that would output a wav file