Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Plans for Playlist Database Features? (Read 4511 times) previous topic - next topic

Plans for Playlist Database Features?

zZzZzZz...

This is by far the most promising media player i can see...

couple questions:

Got any plans to make an explorer-like tree (or something similar) interface to the music database? how about auto updating? Does it support ID3v1 tags? if not, whats a good app to convert them all automatically?

and heres some thoughts of mine.. 

Out of the current line up of free "mainstream" mp3 players only one has (imho) wicked playlists/media features. Winamp Sucks, horrible crashy junky media library. WMP, not even worth a mention crap interface. sonique, ummm. But Finally, Zinf (Freeamp) great music management. I use this player solely for the media library/playlist and I suffer the quality loss and horrible performance. On the play list screen it has an explorer like tree (on the left, colapsable) of all your music (in the preferences you can feed it dir names, and it keeps it updated from id3 tags) the tree goes like this:

Code: [Select]
+My Music
 +Artist
  +Album
   +Tracks
+My Playlists
 +Playlists

It's all drag and drop, and it has a built in tag editor to edit a group of files, or one file.. (ie, right click->edit on a artist and it changes all the files underneith) It's awesome, so simple.

The player is junk, the skin system is not bad, but it uses Xing decoder, and it's slow, and blah..

All i'm saying is that NOTHING right now has both good managment and a good player.

I'm liking where Foobar is going... Just my two cents.. Check out Zinf.org for zinf, and you can see for your self.. a playlist dream...

Download it and check it out..

Keep up the good work, it's definilty appreciated..

word.
wes.
(need any web work let me know.. I used to help out on the freeamp project.. i did the design for musicbrainz.org)

Reply #1
I think you should have a look at Apollo and it's Advanced Playlist format. I think this format is quite ideal and is worth implementing in fb2k.

Yes, I know, I have stated this quite some times now in the fb2k-forum, but I think this would be one of Foobar's best advantages over Winamp 2.x when implemented...

Apollo homepage:
http://www.hut.fi/~hylinen/apollo/

Reply #2
Here's a Screenshot of Zinf's Playlist editor.. The tree on the left is the Music Database, and the right pane is the current playlist.

Reply #3
Zinf looks very nice to me.

Reply #4
I think Zinf's playlist format is too overdone for a back-to-the-roots player like Foobar (as I like it). Apollo's Advanced Playlist Format has a great advantage, for it has the ability to use (sub)folders inside the playlist. That is the only thing I'd like fb2k to have, too. A complete media library like Zinf seems to have isn't necessary at all when you just organize your files nicely in folders on your HD...

Reply #5
I said that I like 'style' used in Zinf. Icons and stuff.

Reply #6
I said that I like 'style' used in Zinf. Icons and stuff.

seriously? or joking? 
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #7
Hehe - joking but there's one thing that I like. The brown vertical bar with numbers counting from1 to 5 (on that screenshot).

Reply #8
The Thing is.. FB2k already has a Database of Music.. Pretty much EXACTLY like zinf (different format, but same idea). The Advanced play list is alot more overkill. A list of artists and albums on your machine really doesn't sound like much (considering that the music database is already implemented..) compared to folders and sub folders in playlists... The databse list is also shrinkable... There is a branch for saved playlists.. But what is the point of subfolders in playlists? if all your music is organized in a tree?

Another thought.. Since this is pretty barebones, and techlike.. what if Tree's could be based off of queries to the built in database? this could be REALLY sweet..

You could make it split it up any way you wanted and by any tag.. hmm.. overboard? isn't being an audiophile?

Reply #9
The Thing is.. FB2k already has a Database of Music.. Pretty much EXACTLY like zinf (different format, but same idea). The Advanced play list is alot more overkill. A list of artists and albums on your machine really doesn't sound like much (considering that the music database is already implemented..) compared to folders and sub folders in playlists... The databse list is also shrinkable... There is a branch for saved playlists.. But what is the point of subfolders in playlists? if all your music is organized in a tree?

Another thought.. Since this is pretty barebones, and techlike.. what if Tree's could be based off of queries to the built in database? this could be REALLY sweet..

You could make it split it up any way you wanted and by any tag.. hmm.. overboard? isn't being an audiophile?

I think a playlist organized in a tree is much clearer in use than a flat playlist with >100 files...

Since I organized all my files in subfolders like F:\-=[Music]=-\U2\All That You Can't Leave Behind\04. Walk On.mp3, it's quite handy when this tree will show up in the playlist as well...

Reply #10
Maybe it's just personal preference or just what i'm used to... but when i think playlist, i think of what i want to listen to right now... and i usually toss a couple bands in the list and hit random, or i let it run it's course.. i dont sit there with nested folders and extra stuff... much lik the current playlist in foobar, only right now i have all my music listed.. i just highlight the next set i want to play.. it's sorted by artist so there is not need for sub folders.. especially with Tags... when everything is organizaed by tags is there need to worry about directory structure? i have m:\mp3s\artist\album\00-track name.mp3 but thats so it's easy to find on my drive... everything else i uses reads it in by tag name... Also it (the zinf style tree) is much more simplistic and it's almost just as powerful, but it seems to me to have less fluff.

but all input is good input...  what do the masses think? whats does zZzZzZz think?

Reply #11
I have also wanted a tree-like playlist for a very long time. I hope that this little piece of XML can clear up what I'd like to see:

Code: [Select]
<playlist title="My Very Own Playlist">
 <branch title="Radiohead">
   <branch title="The Bends" hints="noshuffle,playall" />
     <entry source="D:\music\Radiohead - The Bends1 Planet Telex.mpc" />
     <entry source="D:\music\Radiohead - The Bends2 The Bends.mpc" />
   </branch>
   <branch title="OK Computer" hints="noshuffle,playall">
   </branch>
 </branch>
 <branch title="Rammstein">
   <branch title="Mutter" hints="noshuffle,playall">
   </branch>
 </branch>
</playlist>

There are obviously a lot of "small" details that need to be sorted out. Such as allowing the player to override the hints that the playlist comes with and some extra fields for storing the title of an entry. But I think it would be a very powerful playlist format. I also imagine that it would be possible to include other playlists into your playlist so that you can just pick premade bits and pieces and put them together as you like.

Edit: and only now do I see that stupid error in the CODE-tag... OOPS!
Close the world - TXeN eht nepO

Reply #12
Looks nice

Reply #13
This might be slighty OT, but does (or will) the database have "decay"of previous files that have been deleted from the system. I'm a sucker for tidyness