Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to save edited song titles (Read 2270 times) previous topic - next topic

How to save edited song titles

Hi,

I have foobar2000 version v1.3.17 and I have edited all the titles (track title, track # etc) and it is not saving to the hard drive location.  I even tried to copy the cd to another folder and it copies the same as if I haven't edited anything.  Appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Gibs

Re: How to save edited song titles

Reply #1
Are you editing CD information or are you dealing with files on your hard drive? If you have audio files on your hard drive and you open their properties and write any information, pressing the OK button will save the edits to tags. And if it fails, it will give you an error message telling what went wrong.

Reply #2
Are you editing CD information or are you dealing with files on your hard drive? If you have audio files on your hard drive and you open their properties and write any information, pressing the OK button will save the edits to tags. And if it fails, it will give you an error message telling what went wrong.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply  I am trying to edit the files on my hard drive.  Once I am done and hit "OK" the information is not saved on the hard drive.  I only see the changes in foobar.  I've have tried this in different versions in the past same problem.  Only way I can save the changes is to convert them again to another folder and then delete the orginal ones and move the corrected ones over.   Seems a big pain in the @ss 

What else can I try?

Reply #3
What format are these files? Which components do you have installed? (Click Preferences, Components, generate a report, paste it in some code tags in a reply.)

Reply #4
What format are these files? Which components do you have installed? (Click Preferences, Components, generate a report, paste it in some code tags in a reply.)

Hi,

These are .flac files.  Here is the list...

Code: [Select]
Core (2017-11-24 08:00:06 UTC)
    foobar2000 core 1.3.17
foo_albumlist.dll (2017-11-24 07:58:40 UTC)
    Album List 4.5
foo_cdda.dll (2017-11-24 07:58:36 UTC)
    CD Audio Decoder 3.0
foo_converter.dll (2017-11-24 07:58:34 UTC)
    Converter 1.5
foo_dsp_eq.dll (2017-11-24 07:58:56 UTC)
    Equalizer 1.2
foo_dsp_std.dll (2017-11-24 07:58:42 UTC)
    Standard DSP Array 1.3.1
foo_fileops.dll (2017-11-24 07:57:40 UTC)
    File Operations 2.2.2
foo_freedb2.dll (2017-11-24 07:57:34 UTC)
    Online Tagger 0.7
foo_input_std.dll (2017-11-24 08:23:10 UTC)
    FFmpeg Decoders 3.2.4
    Standard Input Array 1.0
foo_rgscan.dll (2017-11-24 08:03:34 UTC)
    ReplayGain Scanner 2.2.2
foo_ui_std.dll (2017-11-24 07:58:50 UTC)
    Default User Interface 0.9.5
foo_unpack.dll (2017-11-24 07:58:40 UTC)
    ZIP/GZIP/RAR Reader 1.8

Reply #5
What makes you think the tag editing doesn't work? If you want the file names as shown by File Explorer to change with the tags, you need to use the bundled File Operations component and rename the files to match your edits.

Reply #6
Okay so what is the bundled file operations component, where  do i get it and what else do I have to do?  What is the point of editing the tags in foobar if it cannot save it as it is showing in file explorer? Sorry, but you are not very clear on your response and I am not a pro using foobar.

Reply #7
Editing tags = editing metadata = editing what is visible in any audio player apart from software platform on which it works. Metadata allow for storing more info than just [track no] [artist] - [title] which is typical setup for filenames, but metadata can store also genres, release year or exact date (or both), disc numbers, your private comments, lyrics, thumbnail showing cover of release and many more (for example custom defined information fields). And the purpose of editing them in foobar is to edit them in foobar (yes, you read it correctly). It is normal that such functionality doesn't mess with file names on the disk.

File operations component is a component bundled with every installation of foobar. You can access its functionalities by right clicking on any file on your playlist (see picture).

Reply #8
If you have Windows 10 the tag edits are also visible in Explorer:

Once tags are edited and you want them reflected in the file name, you can use "File Operations" -> "Move to..." or "Rename to..." actions. Here's a screenshot showing a single track being renamed to a new format. The preview screen shows the old name and what the name will become with the specified naming pattern.