Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Boosting Volume spc file (Read 1745 times) previous topic - next topic

Boosting Volume spc file

So i scan the file with replaygain but when i converted the track to mp3 the db gain disappears, i want to boost it without clipping

Re: Boosting Volume spc file

Reply #1
Then you'll have to convert it and apply the gain when you convert, rather than tagging the resulting file with a different gain level. Converting to a lossy format means you have to scan for the gain level again, as some things will be slightly different.

Reply #2
Then you'll have to convert it and apply the gain when you convert, rather than tagging the resulting file with a different gain level. Converting to a lossy format means you have to scan for the gain level again, as some things will be slightly different.
So i need to do 2 recordings

Reply #3
No, one "recording" is fine.
However you mentioned starting with a file and then converting it to an .mp3. In this case, you now have two files. If you just want the .mp3, delete the first file. Run the replaygain scanner after the .mp3 is encoded however (for reasons already mentioned) .

IMO, if the first file is a lossless file, I would never get rid of it since it can be used as a source for any lossy file type going forward whereas the .mp3 cannot (properly).

Reply #4
No, one "recording" is fine.
However you mentioned starting with a file and then converting it to an .mp3. In this case, you now have two files. If you just want the .mp3, delete the first file. Run the replaygain scanner after the .mp3 is encoded however (for reasons already mentioned) .

IMO, if the first file is a lossless file, I would never get rid of it since it can be used as a source for any lossy file type going forward whereas the .mp3 cannot (properly).
The extra db gain only applies in the foobar reproducer, when i recordered it sounds in the same volume as the original

Reply #5
ReplayGain volume level is not applied to conversions unless you explicitly request it. ReplayGain tags are only transferred as-is when converting lossless to lossless.

Reply #6
ReplayGain volume level is not applied to conversions unless you explicitly request it. ReplayGain tags are only transferred as-is when converting lossless to lossless.
And how i request it?

Reply #7
In the converter settings.

Reply #9
This will add the RG volume adjustment permanently to the converted MP3s. Hopefully this is what you actually want to do ;)

Right-click source files > Convert > '...'
In the converter setup, click 'Processing'
Under 'ReplayGain', click '...' button
Select the settings you want -
   Source mode: 'track / album'
   Processing: 'apply gain and prevent clipping according to peak'
Click OK and Back
Select any other settings (like Output: MP3, Destination, etc)

Finally click 'Convert' to convert the files again.

This is mostly only useful if you are playing the converted MP3s away from foobar (like a portable MP3 player?)