Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Choosing a system (Read 2563 times) previous topic - next topic

Choosing a system

Guys, you must know technical sh*t way better than I do. Please help, I need to choose between these two:

1)http://www.microlab.cn/product_detail.asp?id=391&bigclassid=15&smallclassid=70&anno=2
2)http://www.microlab.cn/product_detail.asp?id=259

Choosing a system

Reply #1
Every speaker is going to sound different and the specifications for a speaker usualy don't tell you much about how they sound.  If you can't LISTEN and compare for yourself before buying, there's just no way to know...   

Sometimes, you can get some idea of the sound if they publish a frequency response curve.  But even then, it's probably only useful to compare speakers from the same manufacturer, tested under the same conditions.      A spec like 30Hz - 20kHz tells you NOTHING!    (Plus, the frequency response spec for these speakers is for the amplifier, not for acoustic speaker-output.)    And, there's no way you're going to get useable 30 or 35Hz bass from a small woofer.

And, you can't always say one sounds better than another, because its a matter of taste...  One will sound better to you...      Maybe one person likes lots of boomy bass and another person prefers "smoother" bass that's not as strong.

The speaker with the bigger woofer might put-out more bass, but that's not always the case.

Choosing a system

Reply #2
With a system like that the big question is how good they are balanced when you raise the volume. Had a logitech that raised the bass more then the other  speakers. A review is what you need often gives enough hardware information about stuff like that.

Choosing a system

Reply #3
With a system like that the big question is how good they are balanced when you raise the volume. Had a logitech that raised the bass more then the other speakers.
That would have to be some sort of defect...  A normal audio amplifier doesn't behave like that, and it would actually take some extra circuitry if you wanted to build something that worked that way. 

The opposite can happen if you overdrive a bi-amplified system...  The woofer takes more power than the mids/tweeters, so the woofer amp can often hit its limit before the other amplifiers hit their limits. 

However, it's normal for bass to sound relatively stronger at higher volumes do the the Fletcher–Munson effect of human hearing-perception. 

And if you've got boomy one-note bass, it's probably going to sound worse when cranked-up.  Or, you could get bass-distortion when you crank it up.

In the old days receivers often had a "loudness" button which also did the opposite...  It boosted the bass at low levels to compensate for the Fletcher–Munson effect (which makes bass sound too-weak at low levels).      Loudness buttons don"t seem to be common on modern receivers.

Choosing a system

Reply #4
You are right, its probebly the Fletcher-Munson effect i remember, was a while since i heard the system. Or just a defective system, however it sounded really good if you forgot about the bass so just think it was my taste.
The system had a little volume knob for the sub that didn't really manage to get low enough volume <- might been the defect.
had no idea of the Fletcher-Munson effect, thx for telling me.

Off-Topic: I always end up typing something that sounds way of from what i originally meant, english is my 2nd language.