Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Favoriting a song through global hotkeys (Read 2012 times) previous topic - next topic

Favoriting a song through global hotkeys

What is the easiest way I can set up a global hotkey to mark the song I am currently listening to somehow?

I often have games or applications running fullscreen and use the numpad to change between songs, so that I don't have to tab into foobar2000 and change it manually. If I happen to hit a song I really enjoy and haven't heard yet, is there a way I can set up my global hotkeys to rate it, favorite it, mark it, or send it to a "favorites" playlist or anything like that, so that later I can access all of my "favorite" songs?

I tried setting it up to add it to a playlist but every time it does a dialogue box pops up asking what playlist to add it to and it goes against the point of using global hotkeys in fullscreen.

Reply #1
It is easier if you just assign a global hotkey to something like Rate and bind it to key such as Alt 1 ~ 5 (where 1 ~ 5 is the rate). Then create an autoplaylist that query the rated songs.

E.g
Type: Context / now playing
Action: Playback Statistic / Rating / 5
Key: Alt + 5 [Global]

Then your autoplaylist would use the following query to list all your rated song
%rating% PRESENT

Reply #2
It is easier if you just assign a global hotkey to something like Rate and bind it to key such as Alt 1 ~ 5 (where 1 ~ 5 is the rate). Then create an autoplaylist that query the rated songs.

E.g
Type: Context / now playing
Action: Playback Statistic / Rating / 5
Key: Alt + 5 [Global]

Then your autoplaylist would use the following query to list all your rated song
%rating% PRESENT

Thanks for the reply, but foobar2000 doesn't seem to have a rating system in it.

I have no rating column and searching for 'rating' or 'rate' returns nothing in the action list.

Reply #4
Cool, thanks!

Is there any way I can sort by rating? I'm using the Columns UI plugin.

Reply #5
edit>sort by> %rating%

or you could add a rating column to your playlist and you can sort asc/desc by clicking the column header.

file>preferences>display>columns UI>playlist view>columns

on the options tab, give it a title. on the scripts tab:

display tab: $repeat(★,%rating%)
sort tab: %rating%

Reply #6
Cool, thanks!

Is there any way I can sort by rating? I'm using the Columns UI plugin.

If you're generating a autoplaylist using the query '%rating% IS PRESENT' then you can sort it via the autoplaylist properties itself. Right click > Autoplaylist... > Sort Pattern. Enter '%rating%' and make sure to tick 'forced sorted'.