Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Droning/Buzzing sound and fast forward when resuming playback after pause (ASIO) (Read 1646 times) previous topic - next topic

Droning/Buzzing sound and fast forward when resuming playback after pause (ASIO)

Hello, I'm new to this forum, although I am a very enthusiastic audio lover, and I've already read tons of posts on this platform. :-X

Recently I've experienced a very strange phenomenon on foobar2000. I mostly listen to my flac rips of my own CDs, using foobar2000 with an external DAC (Fiio X3 II) but at work I have to rely on simple earphone directly plugged to the laptop.
 When using an external source for decoding, everything is fine, whereas the problem occurs when using the sound card output (Realtek High Definition Audio) with ASIO: if the playback is paused and then resumed, the playback fast-forwards a lot, to the point of skipping more tracks (although it seems it depends on how long the track is paused), producing a very annoying droning-buzzing sound, which resembles the sound of a turntable needle scratching.

This does not happen with WASAPI whatsoever. With DSD ASIO, there is no skip or droning sound, even though a slight jerk before resuming is sometimes audible. With ASIO driver of external DAC, again, all green. The problem is completely new, I have been listening to albums with foobar2000 for 3 years without this phenomenon.
Maybe I messed with some settings, even though I seldom change something I don't know anything about.
Please help, this is driving me crazy.  :'(  I can provide any data about my configuration. Thank you

Re: Droning/Buzzing sound and fast forward when resuming playback after pause (ASIO)

Reply #1
no one faced this issue?  :(  :(

Re: Droning/Buzzing sound and fast forward when resuming playback after pause (ASIO)

Reply #2
There is no reason to use ASIO with foobar2000. If it misbehaves stop using it, the default DirectSound output is optimal.

But what kind of Realtek has ASIO drivers available? Or are you using ASIO4ALL? ASIO4ALL is just a wrapper that directs the audio to WASAPI interface. It exists to allow using pro-audio software that only supports ASIO on hardware that doesn't have ASIO drivers available.

Reply #3
Agree with Case. The quality of your ASIO drivers will determine how well they work, whereas DirectSound is a known quantity for the FB devs to work with. I only use ASIO drivers with FB2K, but that's because I've never had a problem with them and they are implemented very well (RME HDSPe AES).

Reply #4
There is no reason to use ASIO with foobar2000. If it misbehaves stop using it, the default DirectSound output is optimal.

But what kind of Realtek has ASIO drivers available? Or are you using ASIO4ALL? ASIO4ALL is just a wrapper that directs the audio to WASAPI interface. It exists to allow using pro-audio software that only supports ASIO on hardware that doesn't have ASIO drivers available.

DirectSound output should not be bit perfect; I'm looking for a bit perfect streaming, of course.
I'm not using ASIO4ALL, but official ASIO drivers.

I never had problem with ASIO on foobar2000. This issue occurred only recently.

Reply #5
ASIO is no guarantee of bit perfect and all of DS, WASAPI and ASIO can be bit perfect if configured properly...  In my experience if ASIO doesn't work it's much easier to get WASAPI working bit perfect than dealing with the vagaries of ASIO.  Many people have problems with Realtek ASIO.

Reply #6
ASIO is no guarantee of bit perfect and all of DS, WASAPI and ASIO can be bit perfect if configured properly...  In my experience if ASIO doesn't work it's much easier to get WASAPI working bit perfect than dealing with the vagaries of ASIO.  Many people have problems with Realtek ASIO.

I'm sorry, I cannot understand the first statement. How can DS be bit perfect on Windows? I am rather happy with WASAPI, but I was worried that ASIO stopped behaving properly because of something I may have changed in my system.