Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Cannot install Free_Encoder_Pack_2017-10-15 (Read 2604 times) previous topic - next topic

Cannot install Free_Encoder_Pack_2017-10-15

Relatively new to Foobar2000.   Am using as my primary music player (have given up on itunes, which I want to throw bricks at).   Would like to now use foobar to rip CD's.

I downloaded Free_Encoder_Pack_2017-10-15.  Attempted to install (as admin), but "NEXT" button is grayed out after selecting folder (see photo).   Please help!    Also including photo of my components.

thank you so much!   : )

P.S. it would really be awesome if there were tutorials for foobar beginners (who are not programmers)! 

Re: Cannot install Free_Encoder_Pack_2017-10-15

Reply #1
The Next button is disabled if the target directory doesn't contain foobar2000 installation. If foobar2000 is installed normally, the install dir is read from the registry and encoder pack defaults to that directory. If there is no registry key and it can't see portable version on the desktop, it doesn't know where to put the files to. You need to use the browse button and show it where your foobar2000 installation directory is.

Reply #2
Thank you for your quick response! 

I apologize for my lack of understanding of what to do next.  I really want to learn more about foobar, but I have no programming experience and am reliant on whatever on-line tutorials and instructions I can find.  I installed foobar2000 following the directions prescribed by Tek Syndicate (Jul 16, 2013) in his youtube video tutorial, and added components based on his recommendations.

I attempted to find the installation directory by searching the C drive for "install_dir."  You are probably laughing at me now, because obviously that didn't work. 

Not sure if this will help, but below are screenshots of 1) everything in the foobar2000 folder, 2) the foobar folder in program files, and 3) endcoder packs

thank you for your patience!

BEST,

Kelly

Reply #3
You seem to have a portable foobar2000 instance located at C:\foobar2000. Either enter that directory into Free Encoder Pack install dir line or use the browse button and navigate there.

I'd recommend using non-portable version, it's for example simpler to keep updated.

Reply #4
Will do whatever you recommend!  I just need directions that I can follow step-by-step. 

Do I need to uninstall "portable" components and download new ones?  Or make changes in foobar interface?

When I open the encoder pack, I am prompted to enter a destination folder (i.e., foobar2000 folder).  I do not see a command line.  I also do not know the name of the directory I am looking for.

I'm afraid you will have to dumb things down even more for me to follow!  

best,

kelly

Reply #5
You are in this problematic situation because you followed a tutorial.

I'd recommend starting fresh and just run the installer with default settings. Then you can install the Encoder Pack with default settings.

Do not install third party components until you find you need something.

Reply #6
Is there any way you could tell me the name of the directory I am looking for and where I am supposed to enter it?  Thanks!

Reply #7
ok first lets start fresh please uninstall foobar completely
reinstall foobar with defaults
 then install the encoder pack it  will automatically  place the pack where it needs to be
then if you need a ripping guide see my post here
https://itstotallylife.com/rip-cds-right-way/

Reply #8
For deinstallation of portable foobar it should be enough to simply delete the directory where it resides. Am I correct?
If yes then after such removal it would be enough for OP to simply press "next", "ok" and "install" without checking/unchecking any options in both foobar and encoders pack installers...

Reply #9
True I just rarely use portable since foobar is all i use fir music i just install it as any other program

Reply #10
I am very confused!  think I have not-portable  foobar2000 installed on my laptop.  I downloaded mobile app, but never installed it.  I thought I had deleted it, but there appear to be residual files?  

Reply #11
Portable IS NOT mobile. Portable is installation type that is suitable for using from pendrive, as it doesn't write to Windows registry, etc. Mobile is for mobile phones only.
Do you have foobar listed in control panel in installed programs? If yes uninstall it if not then just delete current foobar folder and run installer again, taking care to NOT choose portable installation, but standard instead.

Reply #12
Okay, I will unistall / reinstall!

Will I lose my interface, which I have set up the way I like it?

Reply #13
Keep theme.fth file and put it in Appdata\foobar2000  directory after re-installation. Also remember to reinstall any interface changing plugins if you use them.

Reply #14
Re-installed.  Looks good.  R.I.P. is now working perfectly.  Thank you for your help!